Old 04-23-2011, 12:06 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default Not Hungry?

I've been having an uber hard time losing anything at all. I've dropped my calories down to 1000-1300, mostly sticking to around 1200. In the last 7 wks the most I've had is ~1600/day and that was only once or twice. I'm doing about an hr/day 5x/wk cardio and I just don't have time for more than that.

So here's my question: Even on the days that I'm at 1000cal I'm not ever really hungry. It isn't that I have to make myself eat because I definitely want to, whether I'm hungry or not, and so I do. But since my loss has been so slow, I'm wondering if my lack of hunger is telling me that my body is still getting as much food as it needs to hang onto the weight that I have.

Has anyone else found that hunger/losses correlate? Any suggestions for kick starting?
JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #2  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I haven't seen any correlation in my own efforts, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

It's hard, though, to know how you might be able to kick start more of a loss without knowing more about your age, weight, and what you mean by not losing much, etc. Try out this calculator for a look what kind of losses you can expect based on all those factors: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/heal...e-calories-bmr

Also, it might be a matter of the specific foods you are eating. High sodium can result in water retention. Some people lose more slowly on a carb-heavy diet, whereas others are less impacted by carbs. Others here may be able to offer some specific help and suggestions if you post a few days worth of your food intake.

Last edited by chickadee32; 04-23-2011 at 03:24 PM.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:39 AM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

I wrote a book and then deleted it from the original post.

To sum up: I've lost weight before and did it at about a rate of 1-2lbs/wk on a diet of around 1400-1600cal/day + cardio. That was about 5 yrs ago and I remember being hungry quite a bit. This time around I've lost about 4lbs in 7 weeks without being hungry much but also at a lower caloric intake. Looking back at my fitday account, I'm actually eating better foods this time, more vegetables, less processed stuff. I don't keep much track of sodium, but it doesn't really seem to effect me too much one way or the other.

Most of the BMR calculators say that I should be losing 1-1.5lbs/wk at my intake (net, after exercise calories are deducted), and I HAVE lost 3 since 4/1/11 but only because I had a bounce UP on 4/1 which put me at a higher starting weight for April.

I'm sure that since I'm a little older now (37) that has something to do with it but I can't help wondering if there's a correlation between the lack of hunger and lack of losses.
JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote