Exercise! - Jiggly arm work out?

View Full Version : Jiggly arm work out?

ericamrodrigues
04-15-2011, 11:05 AM
hello!! ive started exercising this past week, i have no set routine but i figure if i just do something rather than nothing until i figure out a routine thats best so ive done 2 miles(30 mins) on the treadmill 4 days out of the week.

plan to continue the cardio(which is all i really know how to do) but can anybody give me a sample weight training routine to target my jiggley arms and thighs?

thanks!!

:woops:

anna ng
04-15-2011, 12:22 PM
There is no such thing as spot reduction of fat. The jiggle in your arms and legs is fat, so the only way to get rid of it is to lose fat. You can't control where your body will choose to lose fat, so you just have to stick with it. You can't "target" fat in a specific part of the body.

You can, however, build muscle in specific parts of the body. Squats, lunges, pushups, and weight training will help you to build muscle in your limbs. That won't stop the jiggling, but it will give your limbs a more toned appearance and ensure that when you do lose the fat you want, your body will be strong and healthy.

sacha
04-16-2011, 12:55 PM
As anna says, no spot reduction of fat. The key is to get strong and build muscle. Muscle burns more calories than fat, it is denser than fat, and the energy burned during a workout also burns fat. So as you lose fat, you will look better.

The major compounds to work your upper body are:
Bench press
Military press
(Youtube for demonstrations)
These two major exercises work the chest, shoulders, triceps, biceps (chest and shoulders being the major muscle groups to focus on)

If you are at home without weights, focusing on pushups and variations of that (standard pushups, 45 or 30 degree pushups if you cannot do a full one, diamond pushups, tricep pushups, burpees). Consider investing in home weights or kettlebells.

Thighs are the same. Focus on major compound lifts: the squat, the deadlift. At home, squats, lunges, plyo jumps, etc.

bellaella
04-16-2011, 02:26 PM
ditto to the above that you cant lose weight in a specific area. but i was taught to hold a 5lb or 10 lb weight behind and above my head with both my hands and lift up and down.. like your hands are going up and down a pole (which would be the weight held vertically) and that can help strengthen the muscles there to make it look toner.
sorry i dont know the name of this exercise. hope it helps!