Old 04-06-2011, 02:17 AM   #1  
Phil1:6

S/C/G: 253(old)/220(new)/ticker/170

Height: 6'

Smile Dessert Ideas for a girl who doesnt want desserts!

Well Im quite happy & motivated as I've been loosing steadily, and I'm learning more about myself- Like if I allow myself to have a low calorie candy bar like a KitKat that fits into my daily caloric allowance, I will just crave sweets all day. But some part of me feels like I need dessert after dinner...
So do any of you have any idea's of something thats healthy & sweet but wont trigger cravings?
I've been having strawberries & that works.. as well as vitatops- and I made some banana muffins (with applesauce instead of oil, whole grain flour & low sugar) and they were satisfying that craving until I bit into one that had a chunk of salt & baking soda that didnt get mixed in & now I gag thinking about them!!
Anyways, the 100 cal packs dont work for me as those are just low calorie candies pretty much & they make me crave more as well...
And I dont want to cut out my "dessert" either- I know I need to change old bad habits, and I have, but I want this to remain a life long thing, and I sorta want to incorporate desserts into that! Hmm maybe if I eat something sweet like right before bed, I wont have time to eat other things I'm craving??...
Anyways, any thoughts are appreciated!
DaughteroftheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I have a terrible sweet tooth too and am not willing to cut out desserts. Here are some of my go-tos when I'm really craving a sweet:
- Frozen mashed banana (it tastes just like ice cream!)
- Homemade hot chocolate (skim milk, sugar or sugar substitute, coco powder)
- Chai tea (chai, sugar/sugar substitute, water, skim milk)
- Pumpkin bread or banana bread (sub applesauce for oil, use whole wheat, brown sugar for white)
- Various breakfast muffins (apple-carrot, banana-bran, etc)
- Various low-cal cookies (lots of recipes with with bran, applesauce/banana instead of oil, peanut butter, oats, etc)

I get most of my recipes on AllRecipes- they have a Healthy Cooking section with a "Dessert" subsection that is invaluable!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:16 AM   #3  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Chocolate Peanut Butter Atkins Protein Bar. Taste like snickers, but has 19g protein, 2net carbs...totally satisfied my craving for things like candy bars.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #4  

Awesome, thank you both!!!
Indiblue- do I just put a whole banana in the freezer then after a few hours peel it & mash it with a fork??
Old 04-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

How about frozen yogurt? Or frozen grapes?
OhMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:54 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I've done it both ways- I've a) peeled and them creamed it (in a food processor, you can do a masher too) then frozen it, or b) frozen it, then dethawed it a bit and mashed it, then refroze it. I *think* that if you don't freeze it first the banana gets sweeter and darker when it's mashed and in the processes of freezing. I like the taste of it better after I've frozen it-mashed-refrozen, but it takes a little bit more work Here's the website where I originally found the idea: http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/s...redient-093414

I usually do 4-5 bananas at a time so I always have a little pint of "ice cream" available. It's easy to eat through the whole thing though because it's delicious and healthy, so watch out! Maybe your one banana at a time is better!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 233/200/145

Height: 5'6

Apple bake!!

I bottle of unsweeted apple sauce...cut up apple slices and place in a square baking pan. Add cinnamon a dash of salt. sprinkle 1 1/2 cups of rolled oats....then put cinnamon on that with one packet of sweetner. Then spray I can't believe it's not butter....but in the oven at 425 for an hour! so good, hot or cold
PrimeTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

This is going to sound really weird, but: eat dessert first. For me, i finally figured out that the problem is, once i start eating sweets, i don't want to stop eating. i HAVE to eat something else...it is like a drug that makes me want to keep eating. Having it for dessert would make me just want to continue eating. So i eat it first...then eat my protein. I find if i end my meal with protein, i don't crave more food.
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #9  

Great idea surfer girl!!
Old 04-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I like freezing SF pudding, then putting it in a regular ice cream cone. 80 calories and it's like ice cream, or a pudding pop! I also do the 25 cal hot chocolate, or a single Reese's cup.

I'm going to have to try that mashed banana idea.

BUT . . . I have a similar issue with sweets, so every few days I make a conscious choice not to have any dessert but possibly fruit. I don't want my craving for desserts to take over my life. Even if there's room in my calories, sometimes the cravings aren't worth it.

Last edited by JenMusic; 04-06-2011 at 03:23 PM.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 272 / 172.5 / 150

Height: 5'-9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughteroftheKing View Post
Awesome, thank you both!!!
Indiblue- do I just put a whole banana in the freezer then after a few hours peel it & mash it with a fork??
I put 1 banana in the blender with 1/2 cup Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond Milk (Vanilla or Chocolate) and sweetener to taste. Then pop it in the freezer. I try not to freeze it for too long either. Don't want it solid as a rock, more like granita.
manders01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by manders01 View Post
I put 1 banana in the blender with 1/2 cup Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond Milk (Vanilla or Chocolate) and sweetener to taste. Then pop it in the freezer. I try not to freeze it for too long either. Don't want it solid as a rock, more like granita.
Yumm, cant wait to try this!
Old 04-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 191.5/191.5/140

Height: 5'4"

Yes, that does sound good. I am going to freeze the banana first, then blend everything. Instant icecream!
oodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

you can even try cutting the bananas into slices and freezing them and then drizzle a SMALL amount of dark chocolate on it!!

i also like to eat frozen grapes!! red ones are much better than green.
bellaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

This may or may not sound appealing but i eat Fiber One bars when i crave something sweet. If you haven't been eating a lot of sweets, they actually taste pretty sweet and dessert-like. And there's no temptation to eat more than one because if i do, my stomach will really hate me a few hours later.
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote