Old 04-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #1  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default explanation please

I stay below 30-40 g carbs pretty much all the time, and maintain there pretty well. I have decided to lose some more weight before summer and started onto induction again, and even got into ketosis after just 2 days of sticking to plan.
(those who remember me, I rarely was in ketosis even with sticking to induction and less than 20 g carbs).
So why am I up a pound?
Its a little frustrating. I though I would lose some nice weight over night and see the scale budge down for the first time in a while. I am sure there is a rational explanation and I will be wooshing down in a few days, but in the meantime, argh, I need a little inspiration to stick to plan this am.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Have you taken your measurements? Often you will not see a change on the scale but, you will be losing inches
Are you getting 12-15 of your daily 20 carbs from veggies & salads on the acceptable foods list? And last but not least, are you drinking plenty of water?
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/130

Height: 5'5"

I know water is a big one for me. On the days during induction I had well below the daily recomendation for water the scale doesnt moves or goes back up. Once I am back on track drinking more then enough water down the scale goes more then one and just kinda hovers ( I see a loss about ever other day). I have been eating most my carbs from veggies but even when I dont I still see a loss but its smaller then the times I am eating a ton of good induction friendly veggies consitantly. Like jersey girl said that may be the prob.
another thing that maybe the issue but Im not sure about is that I talked to one of my friends that started atkins about the same size as you and she was really frustrated that I was seeing the scale move all the time and hers wouldnt for a while. I think it has something to do with the fact that I started out so much bigger with a lot more weight to loose and my body is not worried about letting it go because it knows it has plenty to survive. Like I said not scientific or anything just something we thought about.
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #4  
Madeleine

Kim, yes indeed, getting almost all my carbs from fresh veggies, and lots of water. Brooklyn, I lost most of my weight last year and have been maintaining this winter, (successfully, doing atkins at about 40g carbs/day, any more and I crave too much) and my initial loss was quite slow. SO that doesn't worry me too much, but the few times I went into ketosis, was when the weight would budge. I don't get to ketosis easily, even 25 g carbs/day will move me out of ketosis, so I wasnt expecting the rise. I am faithful that the loss will come, but I was kinda bummed this am. I would like to lose about 10 pounds before my vacation in June, and it will work if I just stick to it.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #5  

are your meats fresh? I know I tend to not lose as well when I eat processed meats such as bacon, sausage, etc. Also, I have to watch meats at restaurants as some will use MSG and I retain fluid when I have that. A very large salad will put me out of ketosis so I have to be careful even with veggies. *sigh*
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 216.5/ticker/153

Height: 5'4''

Sorry so long to respond! Part of the issue could be that you are so close to goal that your body is being stubborn. It sounds like you already have a high resistance to losing, so it wouldn't surprise me that you would have issues. Since you have done this before I am sure you are eating, drinking, etc. as you should. So my suggestion would be to shake things up. Have you gotten into the habit of eating the same things over and over? You know... a food rut? I ask because this just happened to me. I itend to find food that is easy and works and stick to it. But in doing that, after only just a couple of weeks I stall out! Now, I am not a picky eater so sticking to what I eat is out of ease and habit. But the minute I changed my menu around but still stayed under my carb level, the numbers started moving again. So u may want to try that and see what helps! Good luck!
JustJ280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:37 AM   #7  
Madeleine

Well, I managed to stay in ketosis yesterday, although I am sure I had a little too much cheese, but that was better than all the sweet treats and squares and cookies at the post funeral reception I went to. I avoided all dairy with supper though, and had some nice fish for supper. Measurements are the same. Weight is back to "normal" but no loss yet. The only thing down is my fasting blood sugar, which I will celebrate with joy. Maybe by the end of the week. Sigh, maybe I will have to do a fat fast if things don't change.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:57 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/130

Height: 5'5"

yesterday I ate WAY TO MANY CARBS in one meal. I got most of my carbs at lunch they were all from fresh veggies and stuff but that left no room for carbs for dinner. I know that part of the book said something about watching how many carbs you have in one meal and making sure you eat enough fat and protein to basicly counter act that (you see I am not quoting here lol) but then I noticed that my ketostix were a bit lighter and I was up a lb. I am not stressed about it but I know never to do that again and spread them out for the day. I didnt go over 20 but like I said most of them were at lunch 16 or them to be exact. This may play apart in your issue too! first time this has happend for me so I thought I would share!
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:06 PM   #9  
Madeleine

thanks brooklyn, I am pretty used to avoiding the carbs, so I don't tend to have them all at once. Having a good day today, not much dairy at all, a bit more fat tho, and hoping for a nice woosh soon.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:37 AM   #10  
Madeleine

so gang, still no change. I have been in ketosis every day this week since starting, I haven't even lost the pound I put on to begin with. I had a couple of days with nice normal fasting blood sugars, but otherwise no change. measurements are the same, although I "feel" a bit skinnier. (clothes not so tight) Yes, lots of water, walking most days, etc. can't figure this one out.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:38 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

It looks like you're pretty close to a healthy weight; you might just be at a plateau. Stick it out! Good luck!
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #12  
Madeleine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsy View Post
It looks like you're pretty close to a healthy weight; you might just be at a plateau. Stick it out! Good luck!
I am far from it! I am just under obese, and at the high end of overweight bmi, according to all the scales I see. However, it may be menopause telling me how hard its going to be to shift anymore. Its why I switched to maintenance last summer, I didn't seem to be losing and wanted to "reset" my set point.

Still haven't lost anything, and am upping carbs again for a bit. may try a fat fast next week. Disappointing, period.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
I am far from it! I am just under obese, and at the high end of overweight bmi, according to all the scales I see. However, it may be menopause telling me how hard its going to be to shift anymore. Its why I switched to maintenance last summer, I didn't seem to be losing and wanted to "reset" my set point.

Still haven't lost anything, and am upping carbs again for a bit. may try a fat fast next week. Disappointing, period.
Many seem to have good luck with the fat fast or even just an egg fast to get them out of their stall! good luck
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote