Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-31-2011, 01:37 PM   #1  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Default How do you join a running group?

Dumb question!

There's a running group in my town that I would like to join. There's a website and I know the time and location. But what is the "script", if you will? What can I expect? Do I just show up in my running shoes and follow someone? What if I'm too slow? Will people talk to me? Do people talk and run? Maybe some do, some don't?

Can someone tell me everything you can think that I might want to know. I can be a little socially...um...quiet. LOL! But I want to get out there!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:51 PM   #2  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

See if there is an email contact on the web site and email them to say you are joining them at their run. I joined one a few years ago and they were very welcoming. There was one guy who seemed leary of my sister and I (we joined the group in January) I think once he realized we weren't just New Year's Resolutioners, he got more friendly.

The woman who runs the group was very friendly and responded to my email. When my sister and I got there, she hung back to "jog" with us and get to know us. As we continued running we the group, she ran on ahead.

I find runners to be very welcoming people. And very supportive!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

I loved my running group... I knew the organiser, spoke to her and she was so happy for me to join them... When the newbies would arrive, like SCraver's organiser, she would hang back and jog with them, as they got better she would go ahead... It was loads of fun, we would have get togethers at Christmas and such... It was a blast, go for it!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote