Old 03-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Default Alcoholic drinks

So I am just wondering if you guys quit drinking alcohol all together when starting the atkins life style? I am not a big drinking and can surely get through induction with out it, but come summer bon fires and such I am worried Ill want a few and then pick the wrong one or just say screw it and ruin all my work!

I can go with out it forever if I have to because like I said I am not a big drinking but I need to set my self up for quitting that along with giving up my old loves carbs. Ok Im cool with booting out carbs and I know drinks are pretty much empty carbs but I just thought I would throw this out there.

There are just so many things I need to stop doing to regain my once healthy life that it seems over whelming to try it all at once.
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:18 AM   #2  
Learning and burning

S/C/G: HW350ish/SW290/CWticker/GW165

Height: 5'8'

Hi Broklynn,

I didn't have any booze during my first two weeks of induction. I have a glass of wine or a cocktail once in a while now. I have zero tolerance while low carbing for some reason, so I usually don't want more than one or two max. Beer is pretty much a no-no for me. I absolutely love it, but the kinds I like are very high in carbs. I stick to wine and the occasional bourbon or scotch.

Your body will burn off the alcohol before it burns off anything else, so consuming it can and will slow down weight loss. However, I've never had a cocktail kick me out of ketosis.

Hope that helps.
dini22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:04 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 305/290/155

Height: 5'7"

I'll have a diet coke and rum occasionally on the weekends. I've found it doesn't seem to affect me too much as long as I don't have more than 1 or 2. Just drink lots of water the next day, and do some extra exercise, that seems to help.
startanew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:18 AM   #4  

I have done some research on carbs in alcohol. I wont be drinking anything but water and less then one pop a day (diet of course) <<< hubby pointed out that this is amazing because I used to drink like 6 cans of diet pepsi daily and now I only drink like one every other day and it takes me forever to drink the hole can. Im honestly not even wanting booze at all so I think I am just gonna stay off it until I want it after induction. Thanks for the posts!!
Old 03-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 264/264/199

Height: 5'10"

My problem isn't usually with having a drink or two of low carb beer or bacardi and diet coke, it's usually associated with after I drink several drinks and start eating "party foods" that are laying around. Like the weekend before last where I drank a full bottle of bacardi. I ended up putting on 6-8lbs within a 24 hour period (mostly fluid, i know). If you can restrain yourself to just that one or two drinks every couple weeks, I don't see much to concern about.
SaskNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW 255/220/155

Height: 5.5

Only the first two weeks are you totally limited (if you choose to follow exactly). In the summer feel free to have a diet pop and like vodka or rum. It won't kill you or totally derail you unless you drink a LOT (i had way less tolerance for alcohol anyways after going LC) and eat sugary crap. You can do this! Hang in there )
spaghetticat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghetticat View Post
Only the first two weeks are you totally limited (if you choose to follow exactly). In the summer feel free to have a diet pop and like vodka or rum. It won't kill you or totally derail you unless you drink a LOT (i had way less tolerance for alcohol anyways after going LC) and eat sugary crap. You can do this! Hang in there )
Ya thats what I have heard about LC and drinking. Which is not much of a worry for me I am not a big drinker anyway just would like to have one from time to time this summer. But thank you I am so very excited about this past week I have done so well and feel no need to stop. Its not one of those OMG I cant wait for this to be over type things lol I am actually enjoying this. I just cant wait for nuts! :P

Last edited by Brooklynn; 03-27-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW 255/220/155

Height: 5.5

Haha, just be warned, I went 3 months on medifast like a year ago, and got hammered (not tipsy but literally hammered) from one shot of vodka. It was rather hilarious
spaghetticat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #9  

I like dry champagne (about 2-3 carbs), dry white wine (3 carbs) or alcohol and diet (I usually count 2-3 because of the sweetner).

I find I am in deeper ketosis the am after having 2-3 drinks. Probably bc I am dehydrated.

I just count the booze into my carb count. Its hard to drink more than 3 drinks then because you are at 9 or so carbs - so if youre being good - the rest will be from veggies and then you will have free fats and meat (no cheese or eggs etc) Its hard to eat on 11-12 carbs a day so I tend not to drink more than 1-2
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:17 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 225/207/140

Height: 5'5

I've pretty much given up drinking and I realized a lot of my friends are alcoholics. It's kind of put a dent in my social life, I guess I was drinking more than I realized. I did go out once last month but only had 2 drinks and felt like I was going to throw up. It's killed my once-impressive tolerance. It's probably not a bad thing, though.
ohmanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 211/190/125

I'm not a drinker (usually only 1 glass of wine per year.) So when my 19th sorority anniversary rolled around this past Saturday, I was knocked on my bum with the four glasses of wine (spread out over 12 hours) I drank. I wasn't in ketosis before Saturday and I'm definitely not now. Who knows how long it will take before the sticks turn purple. (FYI: they've never turned purple for me - maybe I'm an exception to the rule.)
zetaphine is offline   Reply With Quote