Old 03-19-2011, 04:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Question ww combined with low carb??

I know the new ww plan encourages us to eat cleaner and lower carb items are lower in pts so it's kinda steering us toward those kind of choices to make our points stretch the furthest (of course this is optional, you can use your pts anyway you choose) but I was curious, has anyone tried doing ww with low carb? does it give you a weight loss edge? My weight loss has been super slow. I'm not complaining, honest, I'm down 11 lbs since starting in early november of last year. I haven't had one week where I haven't lost something, .2 here .4 there, it has added up But I have my 13th anniversary coming up in two weeks and then a lakeside vacation planned in early June and I was wondering if I could speed my losses up by including a low carb plan while still sticking 100% to ww? what do you think? I was truly hoping to be close to goal by june and at this rate it's just not gonna happen. Anyway, I'm just kicking the idea around but would love some feedback or personal experiance with this idea, thanks!
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/see ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I would check out South Beach diet--it is really easy to eat SBD food on WW points plus... look at their page on this 3 fat chicks, they have really good information. I am trying to find a balance between points plus and phase 2 of sbd.

Or try cutting your carbs to one meal a day--my leader today suggested only having a carb at breakfast. You really need to find what works for you.

I had my first weigh in today--only down .6 but it is better than nothing! You are right, all those small numbers do add up! Keep up the hard work!!!!
sarahsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 171/160/120

Height: 5 feet- if I really stretch

I do this because of insulin resistance. I lose about 1 pound a week-slower that when if was younger( I'm past 50) But steady and with nice even blood sugar
Tea Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #4  
Persistance loses weight

S/C/G: 216/177/136

Height: 5'7"

Whenever I eat low carb, I tend to lose faster. What's great about WW is you can eat low carb (which I do most of the time), but when you feel like you really need a bagel or something you can have it without going "off plan".
skinnycow126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #5  
Nine years to go!

S/C/G: 270/256/140

Height: 5'2

I think you can do this, but I remember reading in the very near past that the plan isn't designed to be combined with low carb. If you are consciously cutting one group of foods out of your diet, or even limiting them significantly, you are essentially "working the plan" and eating more calories than it was designed to provide.

I am under the impression that this is WHY the plan changed and why we have more points now. I'll need to find the article, as it makes a whole lot more sense than what I just typed.

All told, whatever works for you is obviously a good plan, so I wouldn't discourage you from doing what works.
Ten Years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #6  
WW Moderator

You can incorporate low carb, and count the points on it, but it's really hard to combine the two because with WW you have free vegetables, and on low carb, they count - albeit pretty low, but they do count! And WW wants you to have dairy and grains, which would also count. Basically you would need to do a low carb diet and count points instead of carbs. Not really any point in that as the WW plan was designed to be totally different than a low carb diet. It would be easier and probably more effective to just do a low carb diet and forget the points. OR just be a little more careful with your carbs and follow the WW plan as designed. Eat lower carb fruit like berries, and avoid bananas and pineapples, avoid white carbs and just eat whole grains, etc.

With that said, I feel your pain! I'm insulin resistant and I lose weight very slowly - So I have to just be really careful and conservative.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #7  

Height: 5'1"

I'm doing WW with a sort of modified carb count. This was suggested to me by some other gals on the board that have had success by not eliminating carbs completely but limiting them and trying to use them in a more constructive way.

So, I shoot for 100-125 NET carbs per day. I use them mainly on high fiber foods, fruits, vegetables, beans, yogurt, cottage cheese. I'm staying away from fat free foods and starchy or processed foods.

That's one way to try it!
novelistabac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #8  

Thank you all so much for your thoughts! I kinda experimented with it over the weekend and just during the weekend I was down 2 lbs!! course I'm not counting that yet, my official wi isn't until friday but I'm feeling optimistic! I've also been guzzling green tea like it's going out of style, LOL.. don't know if it really helps with weightloss or not but its healthy and so nice now that the weather is warming up, I always feel healthier when I drink a couple glasses of it a day. But anyway, I'll keep everyone updated on my lower carb ww idea and see how it pans out by friday
Old 03-25-2011, 03:18 PM   #9  
You can DOOO IT!

S/C/G: 223/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'6"

spryng - how'd the weigh in go? I'm curious about this as well, since i'm a diabetic and i sorta already do the low carb thing by nature.
misstraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:56 PM   #10  

Interesting thread.

I am just moving from 5 year of a Atkins lifestyle to WW, so I will be interested on seeing your results from your weigh in.

I read love low carb eating, I think I was just getting burned out with Atkins and decided to try WW since the program seems to have become more "lower carb" friendly
kopmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #11  

the week went great! I was down 3 whole lbs!!! I don't think I've ever lost that much in one week! I'm so excited! Maybe it's the change my body needed