Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

Default Eating After a Workout

Someone told me I should be eating immediately following a workout. I am wondering if anyone knows why this is important and if it is important then what should I be eating.

When I finish working out I am typically running some errands and it is usually 1-2 hours before I eat. Is this really a problem? When I do eat it is a healthful balanced meal.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #2  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I have been told that you digest food the most efficiently after a workout. You are "supposed" to eat some protein w/in 40 mins of working out. Sometimes I do - sometimes I don't. I usually eat come LF Cottage Cheese or some yogurt. I just got back from a run and am burping up my lunch (sorry - TMI) and I am going to wait a bit b/f eating my cottage cheese.

If you aren't having a problem with sore muscles or with building muscle - I wouldn't fret too much over it. I mean - if you are training for a marathon or something - then you should worry about it.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

The reason they advise to eat within 60 mins post workout is because the meal will replace depleted glycogen stores in the muscles and also repair the muscles that your body has just worked so hard using. You don't need to eat a lot but it is a very important meal. The meal should consist of roughly 60% carbs, 25% protein and 15% fat... I just recently read that your meal should be about half of the calories you just burned, so if you burned 600 cals. you should eat about 300 cals...

Hope this helps
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 223/SeeTicker/135

Height: 5'5"

I eat withing about 1-2 hours.

"Research has shown that eating 0.3-0.6 grams of carbohydrate for each pound of body weight within two hours of endurance exercise is essential to building adequate glycogen stores for continued training. Waiting longer than two hours to eat results in 50 percent less glycogen stored in the muscle."

"Research also shows that combining protein with carbohydrate within thirty minutes of exercise nearly doubles the insulin response, which results in more stored glycogen. The optimal carbohydrate to protein ratio for this effect is 4:1 (four grams of carbohydrate for every one gram of protein). Eating more protein than that, however, has a negative impact because it slows rehydration and glycogen replenishment. "

Sources
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract
Kateryna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #5  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 227/208/140

Height: 5'6

I always feel like Im doing something wrong if i eat after working out, like I'm defeating the purpose. Thank you for sharing this! So whats a good example of a snack you might eat after a workout?
Lrn932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:39 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 6'1''

You're definitely not defeating the purpose. Feeding your muscles after working out is essential to muscle development (and muscles burn calories!). If you tear down your muscles without feeding them, you'll lose muscle mass. Putting something as simple as a clementine and a piece of string cheese in your bag for after your workout is great. Think of eating like stoking the fire of your metabolism. You're giving your body fuel to run. If you burn all the gas in your car and keep driving around without refueling, you won't get very far.
hatethesweatpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #7  
Smile :)

S/C/G: 180/Ticker/Ticker

Height: 5'8"

Its definitely very important to feed your body some good carbs and protein after a workout. At the same time, don't go overboard. I see a lot of women do a light jog on the elliptical for 20 minutes and grab a premade protein drink with way more sugar and calories than is needed because they think its what they should be drinking.
A well planned after workout snack or meal is way better than some highly processed shake from a cardboard box IMO.
I'm usually on-the-go (to class or work) after a workout and can't sit down to an actual meal for a few hours but again, its vital. I usually will eat a piece of fruit (typically banana which is portable and a great after workout snack) maybe some almonds and I drink skim milk. I get some good carbs and good protein to refuel until I can eat a meal.

ps ladies! I'm so excited to tell you guys..I've already told the "20-somethings" and Maintainers but I was just hired as a personal trainer at the gym I've been working at for a few weeks! I started working at the front desk to get in the door until I was certified and I get my first client in the next 2 weeks!
KellyMarie90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Done more research and it suggests chocolate milk as a great after workout. What a treat that could be. I might try that- just have to be careful of the serving sizes- only need one cup.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #9  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Kelliemarie, I'm so excited for you. That's awesome!

Stacygee, chocolate milk? Really? I'd like to see the research on that. Honestly though, I don't think that would sit well. In fact today, I was out of soy milk so I made a protein shake with regular milk before I ran and blech! It did not sit well. I won't be doing that again.

Typically (Saturdays like today are an exception), I workout on an empty stomach and my next meal is breakfast, immediately following my shower. It just fits into my schedule well and I don't like breakfast first thing. Never have. Saturdays I tend to get up later and laze around a bit before heading out for a workout, so I need to eat first.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 225/210/150

Height: 5' 7"

I have read that one of the best things to have after a work is chocolate milk. But I tend to just keep a banana in my handbag for after I'm done exercising. Boosts my energy and stops me getting really hungry before I can have some tea.
MusicalJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #11  
Smile :)

S/C/G: 180/Ticker/Ticker

Height: 5'8"

Chocolate milk has definitely been proven to be a great after workout drink. I would have suggested that but I dont drink chocolate milk (added sugar, not part of my personal lifestyle-Like I said, I drink skim milk as part of my after workout snack/meal.)
KellyMarie90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:02 PM   #12  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
Stacygee, chocolate milk? Really? I'd like to see the research on that.
Here ya go!

This is a link to the original study that compared chocolate milk to other sports drinks for post-workout recovery: Chocolate Milk As A Post-Exercise Recovery Aid. Apparently chocolate milk contains a 3:1 ratio of simple carbs to protein that is considered ideal for post-exercise recovery. The sugar in it is a simple carb, which is recommended post-workout for fast glycogen resynthesis (getting glycogen back into depleted muscles).
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:27 PM   #13  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 227/208/140

Height: 5'6

Congrats kellymarie! That's so exciting! Wow I never would have thought that chocolate milk would be good for that. It's sort of like a treat to look forward too. Thank you for all the good ideas for after workout snacks. You guys are great!
Lrn932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:34 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 138/134.5/118

Kellie... Just saw that you work in Arlington, I'm moving to DC in the fall... if I settle on a place Arlington I'll have to check your gym out! PM me if you have any advice on the best complexes near a metro that allow small dogs!
LLBoldAsLove87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:01 AM   #15  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Here ya go!

This is a link to the original study that compared chocolate milk to other sports drinks for post-workout recovery: Chocolate Milk As A Post-Exercise Recovery Aid. Apparently chocolate milk contains a 3:1 ratio of simple carbs to protein that is considered ideal for post-exercise recovery. The sugar in it is a simple carb, which is recommended post-workout for fast glycogen resynthesis (getting glycogen back into depleted muscles).
Well, thanks for that! LOL! I never would have believed it. I think I'll stick to my Vanilla Soy or Almond milk though. Or like I just ate...two eggs and half a banana.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote