General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-13-2011, 06:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

Default Ever had a nightmare SO BAD...

... That the thought of going back to sleep terrified you??

I swear, I had one of the worst nightmares ever. This was easily in the top 2, if not THE worst nightmare ever. It was SO FREAKING REAL. I had genuine thought processes in this dream. I had limitations. I didn't realize I was in a dream, which is very unusual for me.

I had a dream we were in a new house (because we'll be moving soon) but it needed a LOT of work. I remember there was water coming out of the outlets in the bathroom, and I was shocked (I felt it!!!) when I tried to turn it off. The contractors were nasty dirty people. They were sitting on our porch smoking and trying to get in long after I told them it was time for them to go home. They were waking up the kids with how loud they were and they were reaching into the windows, and the windows were too broken to keep them out. My husband was there, but had to leave for work. He told me to deal with them. So that part was freaking me out. Then, I found myself standing in line for something outside of my house when a voice came over a loudspeaker and said there was a tornado warning. I started running home to my kids, when they said it was canceled. I would never leave my kids at home in real life, they're 3 and 5, so you understand my panic here... I get home and my 5 year old son's eyes are swollen shut, and so are the 2 other kids that were there. They said they had been diving into BLEACH because they saw it on TV. I grabbed them to take them to the ER, and asked where my daughter was, and my son said, "She choked." My friend screamed and when I got there she was trying to do CPR on my daughter who still had a sucker stick in her mouth and was gray-bluish colored. I started screaming and grabbed her. I could physically feel how cold her body was. As I was screaming and squeezing her, she started moving again. I tried driving her to the ER but she kept passing out. We stopped but no one knew the number to call. Or they'd give me an emergency number to another city. 911 wasn't working. Finally a doctor came up and looked at her, but when I looked at her face, she looked severely mentally handicapped. That's when I woke up, drenched in sweat, panicked so much that I couldn't breathe.

I know the reason behind a couple of parts of the dream... We were in a car accident last year and my son kept losing consciousness on the way to the hospital, so that's why I dreamed she kept passing out. And the mentally handicapped part is because a guy I went to school with recently lost his baby to Trisomy 13.

Still, even "talking" all this out, I'm WAY too spun up to go back to sleep, even though I'm exhausted. Every time I doze off, I jolt awake. UGGGGGHH

Last edited by Pint Sized Terror; 03-13-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:27 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Only one other time in my adult life. Back before I was married I lived in an apartment on my own. I HATED the dark at one point, for some reason.

Well one night I was lying in bed sleeping, and had a dream that something in my house was attacking me. It wasn't a person - it had claws. I was lying on my stomach and it was clawing away at my back. It was so real in my mind that I could feel it. I woke up and stayed up...and stopped using the blanket I had over me that night. Too scary....
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #3  

I was scared just reading that!!! Poor you. Maybe in a few hours it will fade a little. I had a rough night too. Not as bad as yours, but a few separate bad dreams, too graphic....

You mentioned that you actually are moving soon. Sounds like you might be having some subconscious stress related to this. That's my arm chair psychology there, lol. I've been told that it's also possible to wake up in a panic attack-ask me how I know .

I have a lot of bad dreams, not sure why. But I know they suck and that one sounded like a doozy. Hope your feeling a little better by now.
Gogirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 266/216/166

Height: 5' 1"

I use to get nightmares all the time, and 911 not working was a big factor in them. At one point I had trouble sleeping and even had paranoia during the day because they were so vivid to me, I even had a few where I woke up my mom for the first time for a dream in years! I found that writing them out can help some. And if I couldn't find anything to help I would just watch some 'nice' channel all night like disney channel or watch a 'happy' movie.

Last edited by bunnythesAINT; 03-13-2011 at 10:48 AM.
bunnythesAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #5  
ugggg.....

I have had night terrors during times of stress for the last 35 years...not so often as they used to be...but I still get them..heart pounds so hard bad that it feels like I am having a heart attack..
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #6  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

i am also plagued with nightmares. i would say at least four or so times a year i actually scream and either wake myself up or my husband wakes me up. my dreams are always vivid and i almost always remember them. a lot of the times they are just what i call "stress dreams" where i'm extremely distressed and then wake up covered in sweat... but sometimes they are dreadful. i have the stress dreams almost every night. guess i should just be grateful the screamers are only once in a while. i have had some really awful ones about family members or friends and i woke up compelled to call them to make sure they are okay.
i'm sorry you had just an awful nightmare.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #7  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I could feel your fear reading that description of your dream, and it would have frightened me terribly too. I don't even have children and yet can vividly imagine the terror you felt. I'm so sorry. I HATE those nights, and sometimes they really do seem to result in elevated stress long after you wake up.

I apologize if it's not really appropriate to ask, but did you see or think about seeing a counselor or therapist of some sort after the car accident last year? By your description it seems like that was a very traumatic event, and maybe your dreams are a place where your mind is still trying to work through some of that trauma.

Last edited by chickadee32; 03-13-2011 at 04:46 PM.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 225/168/125

Height: 5'2

So sorry for you to experience that. I still suffer from nightmares although they are not as bad as my childhood ones. I used to have sleep-overs at friends home but my nightmares were so bad (and loud) I was asked not to come back to their houses . Vivid nightmare dreams are the worst though.
Dusti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:51 PM   #9  
Angry Badger

S/C/G: 250/243/170

Height: 5'4"

That is an absolutely terrible one, I am so sorry you had it.

Yes, I have had more than a few. I generally read poetry or mythology to get back to sleep. Something where things turn out alright for the heroes, you know? I think it's because I had so many nightmares as a young teen and that's how I dealt with them. *shrug*. The one thing I learned was that yes, you can die in a dream, and no it doesn't kill you in real life.

Drink some tea, light a fire, paint, do something to get your mind off it. Or try and break it down (like you already did) and think about what each part means. Come to terms with why you had it. Which is something that is far easier said than done for the really bad ones.
MichelleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #10  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

When I was a kid (about 4) I had a nightmare once and I woke up screaming and crying, and wouldn't go back to bed. To this day I remember that nightmare to the T of what happened in it... As for me now, I get nightmares once in a while which turn out to be crazy weird dreams, but once I wake up I'm find with going back to sleep.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 234.5/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Yes, I've had many dreams like that. I have really vivid dreams about the craziest stuff. Usually they are mostly positive but sometimes they are scary. Last night I was dreaming alot. Don't really remember them but I know I kept waking up with my heart pounding like something had scared me.
CurryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

Wow, freaky dream!! My mom had a book on dreams, and how each thing you dream about means something else. I wish I could remember some of it.

I used to get these horrid nightmares where someone/something would be coming after me. I would wake up sweating and sacred, and i would realise they were still after me. Each time I had this nightmare, I dreamt that I would wake from it twice. So by the 3rd and real time that I woke, I was totaly done with sleep and had to watch Tv till daylight comes.
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #13  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Whoa yeah, freaky dream. Trisomy 13, huh? That's not one you see too much.

My dreams are always vivid, nightmares and good dreams alike. My family teases me because half my memories aren't real. I'm forever relaying family stories and someone will tell me "That never happened." Half my life is wrapped up in my head. A couple times, not often thankfully, I will wake up and my dream will be reality. Like for a moment, someone I love is dead and I'll realize, oh gosh, that was a dream! When I was a teenager it was really bad because I'd wake up and some guy would be my boyfriend and I'd believe it for an hour or so!! LOL!

Last edited by Eliana; 03-14-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #14  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Oh gosh yes. I have had dreams so bad I never wanted to fall asleep again. Sounds like your brain has been overworked and it needed to get some stress out so it threw all kinds of arbitrary junk out at once to declutter itself. It was just a bad dream honey. I know it doesn't make it less spooky but it was just a dream.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #15  
banned

I had a horrifying dream a while back that wouldn't leave, so I broke it down and consulted a dream dictionary (you can look the definitions up online). It made me feel better. Your dream sounds like it was stress-induced.

Here's an example (just the top of my head):

Houses represent YOU in the dream (though some will argue everything represents yourself in a dream). The fact that the house needs repairs could mean that you have things you need to work on.

The intruders trying to get in through your windows could either mean bad thoughts or stresses.

There's several things a tornado could mean: they could indicate a violent onslaught of emotions, feeling helpless because they strike suddenly, they could also mean destructive behavior. Usually natural disasters indicate strong emotions.

The dream I had a while back involved my younger brother and his eyes, so I find that interesting.

Usually dreaming of eyes injuries denotes that someone is trying to take advantage of you, or maybe that you are blinded by something and are not seeing the whole picture (since your child may actually be another part of you in your dream).

Food (the sucker) usually refers to nourishment: physical and spiritual. Since your child (which, again, may indicate you) is choking on it, it could be that you are rejecting that nourishment. Choking denotes revulsion or deprivation. It could also represent self-guilt.

Here's a link to a dream dictionary if you want to know more: http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/a.htm

Just look up the key things that stood out for you.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote