Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #1  
Hungry Hungry Dancer

S/C/G: tickertickerticker

Height: 5'4"

Arrow i can't get the zumba moves down :((

this is super discouraging....i've total, only done about 30 minutes of the basics dvd......which i know isn't that much at all, so i am being silly right now...but there are some moves that are just beyond me for some reason....kinda feel like i'm a dyslexic zumba-er......maybe i'm just being too mopey and expecting too much out of myself ..i love dancing that's why i thought these workouts would be perfect and so motivational since it would be something i crave doing...i want it to be something i LOVE ......but i feel less motivated to do it whenever i have no idea what i'm supposed to be doing

i'll get a hang of it eventually right ? ...only a few of the dances so far can i sort of get the footwork down...one of them i didn't even know how to attempt
blueballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:46 PM   #2  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I don't Zumba, but I think if you keep at it, you'll eventually get it.

And if you don't, who cares? The important thing is to keep moving and work up a sweat
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #3  
Sarah

S/C/G: 193/184.5/147

Height: 5'7

I had the exact same problem, I couldnt get the basic steps down on dvd 1. My advice? Skip it and move to dvd 2. It's not about getting it exactly right, it's about moving to the songs and having fun. The steps will follow. I do classes now, never thought I'd see myself being any good at it but in time all the steps will fall into place so don't get discouraged by the beginners dvd. Move onto the second one and jump about and have fun. It's more important that your'e getting a good cardio workout.
CardboardCutoutCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 166/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Keep trying! And I agree with everyone else! Move on to the 20 minute DVD! If you can only do the feet part and arms, but not the hips, then do that! Even if it's just the feet! Just keep moving! After a while your hips will get the hang of it!! You shouldn't worry too much about the movements, just have fun with it!

I've been doing zumba for about a month now and I still can't samba!
jmko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:47 AM   #5  

I'm a compulsive Zumba addict...and I still can't samba and until we started doing it in class, I could never get Quebradita either. Do what you can and what you enjoy. Don't feel bad! It takes time and just keep working. Keep moving, I know you can do it! I always skip American Rock or US beats or whatever it's called because it just is so cheesy and I don't like it, but I ALWAYS do Hip-Hop, Merengue, and Cumbia. The key to Zumba is doing what you like to do, especially if you're doing the DVDs on your own and not classes.
ChelsKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:19 AM   #6  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I started taking a Zumba class in the summer... it is now - February? And I feel like I have the hang of it now. Until they throw in new steps!! But it really took me a little while to get the hang of it. Once I did though, it has been totally worth it!!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #7  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Don't worry, it will come. I agree with everyone else that the important thing is that you keep moving and that you get a good cardio workout.

I totally understand though. When I went to my first Zumba class, I was totally overwhelmed and completely embarrassed at being such an uncoordinated idiot that could not figure out a single step combination.
I decided not to go to Zumba any more until I learn the steps, so I spent $60 on the full set of Zumba DVD's ... and I think I played them once. For some reason, they just didn't inspire me. So I returned to the Zumba classes, and fortunately, there were also Zumba 101 classes available (where the instructor would explain the steps and have us try them without music first, and then with the music). That helped tremendously.

For various reasons, I took a break from Zumba for about 7 months and when I returned I found out that of course there new steps, new songs, etc. I still remember most of the old stuff but I am learning the "new" stuff on the fly. It's not always easy as the moves are really fast-paced but who cares if I screw up. I still love it, and you will, too! Just give yourself some more time and don't worry about the footwork too much.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #8  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

if you are doing zumba at home...try this...

say the steps outloud as you are doing them...
ex: kick step kick step out step in step
or
right step left step lift and turn step

its amazing that your feet will do what your mind tells them to do.

also....if you can't keep up...just focus on the feet movements first....then add the arm movements once you get themain steps down.

i'm a big lady, and it takes more effort for me to move that fast, but i have only been doing zumba a little over a month and i can keep up great now!! i love it!

hope that helps a little
rainbowsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #9  

I haven't tried zumba yet, but with all the encouragement in this thread, I'm excited to do it now... my biggest fear is that I'll get my feet all tangled up & make a fool of myself!.. okay, time to get over that & just enjoy the process...

hugs
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 205/205/180

Height: 5'2

Keep trying. You'll get it.
tocrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #11  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Just stick with it ~ you'll get used to the moves and you'll be a pro before you know it. I always look like a complete moron when we start new dances in class, but then I realize that everyone else doesn't get it either because the moves are new.
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote