Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #1  
One day at a time!!!

S/C/G: 211/*ticker*/TBD!

Height: 5'6

Default I seem to be my own worst enemy!

It's always so hard to get started with anything, huh? I was on my way here like three times already and got side tracked... which basically just goes to show I REALLY need to get my butt in gear!

My wonderful boyfriend got me a membership to the YMCA about 2 weeks ago.. he wants to help me reach my goal in any way possible. The Y seemed like a great option because they offer babysitting so I don't ever have to worry about my son.

Now my problem is getting started. I have yet to go and keep finding excuses. Deep down, I know it's because I'm scared. I'm scared to look "silly" because I've never exercised... scared of a lot of people being there... scared I won't know how to use the machines. Seeing these things written down look pretty silly to me, but when it comes time to go in the mornings, I let it get the best of me and I don't go.

What can I do? I desperately want to get started but I don't know how to get over it. Any advice, words of encouragement?
linalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

You need to just suck it up and GO. My mom used to go workout at the YMCA and liked it. Besides being affordable she said it was more casual than a regular gym.

What are you afraid of? Looking good? Being Healthy? Being happy with yourself?

And if you don't know how to use a machine just ask! Someone will show you

Now get up and get your butt to the gym missy! Your bf wouldn't be happy you didn't use his gift!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/155

Height: 5'3"

I've been to the YMCA before as a kid when my father had a membership. He liked it because as beerab said, it's more casual and relaxed than say a Planet Fitness or Gold's Gym. I also liked it because they have so many classes, and I think most if not all of them have a kids exercise area too, because you have to be like 16 before they let you on the regular exercise area with the adults.

I know that bathing suits can be one of the biggest challenges pre-losing weight, but if you'd like to ease into working out then check out their water aerobics classes. Usually they have older people there too, whom I find to be much nicer Either way, you're just losing money buy not using it, so the best advice I have is to go and check it out. It probably is not as bad as you're hyping it up to be!
Michi702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #4  
Determined to reach goal!

S/C/G: 224/201.0/150

Height: 5'7

Hi Linalin,

I too love to put things off, and exercise has certainly been one of them! But three weeks ago now I finally bit the bullet and feel soooo much better for it already! At the moment I'm working out using DVDs at home, as I'm also a bit scared of exercising in public. But, I know soon, I'll be feeling more confident and ready to hit the gym/fitness park.

Maybe if you're really not ready to exercise in public yet, you could do the same for a few weeks?

Although, I'm sure as others have said, just going and doing it will be the best way, good luck!
takingcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #5  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Yeap, what beerab said. You need to suck it up and go.
Nothing else will help. I felt the same way the first few times, but you will see that after you have been to the gym, say, 20 times you will laugh when you will remember your uncomfortable feelings.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #6  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Yep, as some others have said, just jump in and do it. I was a good 60 pounds heavier than you when I started going to the gym, but I didn't pay attention to others or what they might be thinking of me...I needed to do it to get my health in gear.
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #7  
looser

S/C/G: 185/ticker/150

Height: 5'7

i go to the gym and i will tell you this - its not the skinny people at the gym who inspire me. Its people who are out of shape but who come daily to exercise. Its because of those people i tell myself if they can do it, i can do it.
Also people who inspire me at the gym are not those who come to show off, but those whose faces are red, sweaty and almost out of breath
Go to the gym every day and be the person who inspire others!

Last edited by unwanted37lbs; 02-10-2011 at 10:37 AM.
unwanted37lbs is offline   Reply With Quote