Old 01-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #1  
Go For Your Dreams!

S/C/G: HW340/340/160

Height: 5'6

Question How many grams of sugar sould I be consuming everyday to lose weight?

I started thinking about this when I was looking over my total nutrient summary for the day yesterday and saw my total sugar gram intake was 88. NOw is that too high? It sounds high to me but im unsure. My diet has been really clean all week and lost 6lbs since Monday so I guess what I am doing is working but still, I wanted to ask around and see if anyone really knew. I'm not getting solid answer on the internet when I do a search.
My sugars mainly come from fruit, I have 3 servings of fruit a day, which are usually a banana in the morning, apple in the afternoon and 1 cup mixed fruit (pineapple,strawberry,mango) in the late afternoon and 1 tsp of honey with my tea around 10 am everyday. So bc its coming from natural healthy foods, is this ok then?? Im aware that sugars are in other foods too but I was thinking that the main sugar source is coming from the fruits. For breakfast, I usually eat a cup of Kashi Go lean crunch in the morning with 1 cup fat free milk and the cereal has 13g sugar and the milk has 12 g and the banana has 14g. Is that too much sugar in one meal???

I hope someone can help me. Thanks for reading this!
CandyCoatedSymphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:29 AM   #2  
Effort = Success

S/C/G: 212/126/120

Height: 5'5"

The amount of sugar isn't really of concern. The main thing to worry about is what kind of sugar it is. If you are getting it from fruits then don't worry because natural sugars digest through the body fairly easy compared to refined sugar. Natural sugars speed up your metabolism. I've had processed and refined sugars described to me as glass shards in the veins. They scratch the walls and cause erosions that lead to swelling and blockage.

Initiative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #3  
Go For Your Dreams!

S/C/G: HW340/340/160

Height: 5'6

thank you so much Initiative
CandyCoatedSymphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #4  
Keto lady

S/C/G: 206/190/Under 140

Unfortunately, insulin, a key fat storage hormone, reacts to fruit sugar (fructose), milk (lactose) and refined sugars the same way.

I try to eat less than 15 grams of sugar in a day. This has been highly effective for me, since fat storage due to an insulin surge from sugar consumption is the main reason my weight increased.

Gary Taubes is an excellent author who has explained this topic quite well in his book "Good Calories, Bad Calories" and in his more recent book "Why We Get Fat". Please check them out!
Txalupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #5  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

I never actually looked at sugar intake mostly sodium so good question!
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #6  

I think I heard on Dr.Oz that 24Grams your suppose to have a day... Not including fruits tho.
LA85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #7  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I think if you are eating your 5+ a day of fruits and vegetables, having a little honey and thats where your sugar is coming from then you are doing fine. Some sugar is probably important (otherwise why do we like it so much? ) If you are eating breads, sauces and stuff make sure you check their sugar content, they can be sneaky, especially those white breads
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 198/180/150ish

I always wondered about this very same question. I also found that there isn't a consistent suggestion out there. I think a lot of it has to do with where your sugars are coming from like initiative mentions. I was told to keep it below 40g a day by a physician but I didn't get a second opinion from another actual doctor.
KayNicole is offline   Reply With Quote