Old 01-28-2011, 09:32 AM   #1  
Smile :)

S/C/G: 180/Ticker/Ticker

Height: 5'8"

Default Power Outage and Staying on Plan?

Kind of long but there is a question at the end!
I'm in the DC area and on wedneday we had a little bit of a snow/ice storm which knocked out power lines all over. The power went out right around 7:30 pm so I'd already eaten all my "cooked" food for the day, I was just looking forward to some frozen grapes a little later.
When I woke up I discovered the power was still off and my first thought, what am I gonna eat? I eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies but I love boiled eggs with a toasted whole wheat breakfast muffin, baked oatmeal, whole wheat pasta, and some other things that have to be cooked and I have electric everything.
Besides that, the streets were a mess and my little mustang wasnt gonna be going anywhere, (she refuses to move on snow and ice)
I did pretty well eating things that didnt require cooking, and even found a little camping stove to boil water for pasta. Luckily the power came back on around 8pm
I felt quite resourceful, like a pioneer haha The only problem is that I only consumed about 1000 calories yesterday Should I eat more today to "make up" for it or just forget about it?
KellyMarie90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:38 AM   #2  
~*Dawn*~

S/C/G: 223/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

I'm in your area! How cool.
It is hard to stay on plan when something like that happens. You panic and eat the easiest thing possible or nothing at all.

If I was in your situation I would try to eat the higher end of my calorie intake but do it with fruits and veggies.
DMNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #3  

Thats what I was thinking. I don't normally "carry over calories" but I know it works for some people. And yes! my whole family was trekking out to go eat at whatever was open lol I stayed in and ate on plan
and Heyyy! NoVa! I'm going to assume you have power, since you're posting lol
Old 01-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

I wouldn't carry over calories. I'd just call it a day (as far as yesterday) and go back to the original plan today.
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

I wouldn't try to make up the calories, but I agree about eating at the higher end of your range today if you are hungrier.

More important is - what is your plan for next time? Make a "power out kit" with foods that can be eaten uncooked - tuna, canned veggies, bread stored in the freezer that can be thawed if power goes out, peanut butter and jelly, etc.

We have had quite a few storms lately, so I always make sure there's enough stuff to be eaten if there's no power.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #6  
~*Dawn*~

S/C/G: 223/ticker/165

I do have power but it's snowing again here near Occoquan! I should probably go out and buy a normal can opener in case we lose power, the electric can opener doesn't get me very far lol
DMNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #7  

yeah its snowing here again too. Its supposed to stop soon, lets hope so! lol and yeah I dug my car out but the plows havent been by here.
Oh winter how I dislike you!