Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-27-2011, 03:18 AM   #1  
Ninja loss

Height: 5'3 (161cms)

Thumbs down Depressed about weight, so i eat, so i get

depressed some more! i can't seem to get myself out of this cycle and it's just really getting hard. I do so well then i fail. I really want to and NEED to lose weight this year once and for all! why can't i battle myself and win, why can't i just be strong and not eat that snak after dinner kinda thing?

I guess this is just a bit of a rant.. i know a lot of you will know how i feel. What can i do.. really. It's my own-self that i'm battling with.. no one else is making me fat..
Catcuffling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 235/235/135

Height: 5'6"

I am in the same boat. In 2008/2009 I lost 56 pounds then gained all of it back in 2010. I've had 3 gym buddies that backed out on me. I know I could go myself, I just have anxiety issues. lol I need motivation. I don't know what's wrong with me. I know that if I stop drinking Pepsi (which i should've never started drinking again) I'd lose at least 10-20 lbs.
Miss Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 150/150/135

Height: 5'7"

Hand me an oar, I'll paddle for a while.

The worst part of the cycle for me is I'm almost completely aware that I'm doing it... while I'm doing it! What's with that??? I keep asking myself, why am I self-sabotaging? Why do I not want to let myself be disciplined? Though, I know weight isn't usually the cause of unhappiness, it's a great scapegoat for ignoring what might be the problem. I'm reading a book called Nice Girls Finish Fat - I'm hoping that will offer some insight about why I "self-medicate" with food the way I do.... Hmm... sorry... I didn't mean to take over with my own rant!
flippychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/142/130

I understand what you mean, I use to eat in order to feel better but thé same food that was making me gain weight was a big part about me not feeling too good about myself.

You have to look at food a different way, something that gives fuel to your body. Try to find other outlets to deal with your emotions, I am a painter and those canvas are helping me focus on something else. It could be writing for someone else, going for a walk, putting music and dancing. It does not matter what activity you replace food with as long as it takes care of the soul because food yes brings some sensory pleasure but the outcomes are negatives.

Dont give up just try to change the behavior, sometime you might fail but most time you Will win. Good luck
Michou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #5  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

I know the feeling... I used to do exactly the same thing. Have a bad day and eat 3 chocolate bars You have to realize that it's NOT worth it, that you will be better served by taking care of yourself first. It really is an addiction and one that is very hard to break. I agree with trying different things... and if you really need to have sweet food try an apple or some other fruit you really like.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #6  
Ninja loss

Height: 5'3 (161cms)

gosh it's just so hard isn't it girls.

yes i know i'm doing it as well.. i often have these little talks with myself.. 'why are you eating this, you know you're going to feel bad afterwards.'
everynight in my bed i give myself a talk.. come on you have to get it together for your health and your daughters sake!

i'll keep chugging at it.. i just wish it was easier lol. i envy those that find weight loss really easy ..
Catcuffling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #7  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

LoL - don't we all!

You can have treats, just make sure they're really good ones. I'd rather have a square or two of good dark chocolate then a whole chocolate bar. You really have to watch your portions and have a lot of self control. Another treat I allow myself is a bit of the fat free Jello instant pudding. We make it with skim milk and I only allow myself to eat a little bit at a time. It's nice and rich and really helps with my cravings. I also have a husband and a stepdaughter who love the stuff so they help me keep my portions small

Last edited by Aunty Jam; 01-28-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:17 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Just a thought, because I had to examine my own behaviors this pasat week. Can you try adding in a planned treat or snack each day. I had two off plan days last week (or thereabouts). One of them, I inhaled a whole box of cake mix mixed with water. The other, I had a whole box of chocolate covered cookies. The fact that it was a small box and I gave Robert 1/3 of them on his way out the door is irrelevant. I looked over what I had been eating each day and noticed that I probably wasn't getting enough food in the first place, and I also probably wasn't getting enough fat in the first place. So. I added 1/2 an avocado for the good fat. And a skinny cow ice cream sandwich for the junk after dinner. Even though I already have a mini meal before bedtime of hot cereal, almond milk and craisins or this week's choice, canned pumkin. The extra avocado and the skinny cow ice cream do add 240 calories to my daily amount, but I was really under my 1800 max/day anyhow, so it wasn't a big deal for me. I'm still only around 1600-1700 average. Adn I make sure I get plenty of exercise, esp. with that skinny cow!

Maybe you can change around what/when you are eating if you feel like you already have enough food/calories in your plan. If you know you are always hungry at a certain time, make sure there is something you can grab and eat in a hurry when that urge hits. If it's a good choice item instead of junk, then you'll satisfy the craving and not damage you plan. you won't have to beat yourself up and you'll probably be likely to stay on plan better when you feel better about the plan you're on.

Hope that helps!
Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 175/175/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcuffling View Post
depressed some more! i can't seem to get myself out of this cycle and it's just really getting hard. I do so well then i fail. I really want to and NEED to lose weight this year once and for all! why can't i battle myself and win, why can't i just be strong and not eat that snak after dinner kinda thing?

I guess this is just a bit of a rant.. i know a lot of you will know how i feel. What can i do.. really. It's my own-self that i'm battling with.. no one else is making me fat..
Ok, I'm confused. You are 5' 4" and less than 105 lbs. Unless I read something wrong? Why do you need to lose weight? I am also 5' 4" and when I weighed 130 I was not fat.????
grandma2four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #10  
Too big to fail!

S/C/G: 202.8/192/150

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandma2four View Post
Ok, I'm confused. You are 5' 4" and less than 105 lbs. Unless I read something wrong? Why do you need to lose weight? I am also 5' 4" and when I weighed 130 I was not fat.????
I think that it's kgs....not pounds.
pamelasusan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 175/175/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelasusan39 View Post
I think that it's kgs....not pounds.
OK, yeah, I missed that, thankyou.
grandma2four is offline   Reply With Quote