Old 01-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #1  

Default New here, WW Questions

Hi I am new here and I have a few WW questions.

I have been doing the old WW plan off and on since having my last baby. I have never done a meeting, just online so I have the old formulas and points system.

First is it truly beneficial to go to meetings?

Are you happiier with the new points system and why/why not?

I am a SAHM of 4 kids, Ages 6, 4, 2 and 10 months. I am wanting to lose last 5lbs of baby weight but then also additional 20lbs approx, and then use WW to maintain. I am really wanting to make a lifestyle change, not just lose the weight to gain it back again.

What are realistic goals, avg loss per week?

Does WW have a time where weight loss stops for a while like most diets?

I really appreciate any feedback. I am trying to decide if I should just stick with old WW points, or fo new. Also if I should try going to meetings.
dasmith1128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #2  
Eat well, Live well

I personally love the meetings. Our leader is dynamic and fun, and so encouraging. She remembers us by name and our weight loss history. The support and discussion is great, and I need that support to make it through. Having to weigh in every week in front of someone keeps me motivated. On my own, it's so easy to just slip away from the program.

I also like the new program. I was a little skeptical at first, but I am losing weight on it, and feeling more satisfied food-wise than I was on the old program.

Everyone's average loss is a little different, but they say lose 1-2 lbs per week, and my average really does fall in there somewhere.
Allie Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #3  

Height: 5'5"

I love going to the meetings as well....keeps me grounded. although, I will admit, I haven't been going the month of Jan because of the new plan and new members and the crowds...but that's me. I love my leader. I suppose, if you can't find a good leader to mesh with, the meetings would be less of a factor. I don't necessarily walk away with new info each time...but I do get a sense of resetting myself for the week, if that makes any sense.

I think everyone has an equal opportunity to hit a plateau no matter what plan you use.

It has taken me some time to adjust to the new program. I can't say whether I love or hate it. Its ok. I hated that they launched it right after tgiving, but now that the holidays are past us, i have been more focused on it and able to adhere to it better. Many ppl are still doing the old plan. I can't say weight loss has been wonderful on the new plan, I would say for me, about the same...but I haven't been exercising much, so that might be a factor too.

Hope this helps...ww has been the thing I have been MOST successful on.
healthyeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:39 PM   #4  
Wishful shrinking

S/C/G: 266/235/160

I love the meetings. I love the awards given out in the beginning. It keeps me motivated and let's me know that I can do it too. And the accountablility really helps. It is worth the $40 a month to me. I have tried to do it on my own and it is easy to slip up and never get back on track.
barbaramatafeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/170/150

Studies show that people tend to do better when they go to the meetings, but the online only works for me. I work 60-80 hour weeks, and I'm very motivated to lose weight for my wedding. Online fits in my schedule better and the motivation isn't an issue thus far.
lynx101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:18 AM   #6  
Skinny on the Inside

S/C/G: 180/180/140

Height: 67 inches

Default I'm New Too!

I'm new too.

So I just came across this site on a Google Search on sugar. I think I am addicted to sugar. Something is very wrong since I binge on it almost everyday. I am 5'7, and I have officially got up to 180lbs, and I also think that the way that I am eating affects my moods. I am deployed to Afghanistan right now (office job, don't worry), and I am sure stress has something to do with my moods and weight as well. Plus, I miss my Daughter. I also have a wedding coming up in August, and I really want to be to my goal weight of 140lbs. by then.

Long story short: enough is enough, and I am here to give support and receive support from everybody here!

Take care.
NAKERR3692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:34 AM   #7  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

I'm new here too... sort of. When I joined 3FC back in 2008, I was going to WW. I lost about 20 lbs on the Core plan, then I struggled for a bit and finally left the program. Since then, I've gained back all I lost plus 4 more. My point is that WW provides some sort of accountability that I seem to need (wish I didn't, but there you go).

So, for me, meetings are beneficial. They provide accountability (the weigh in) and support (others' stories, tips, etc.).

I like the new system, but I'm wary of the no-points fruit; in the back of my mind, I still count it. I like that there are more points per day (29); on the old system I had 21 or something, and was continually stressed that I'd be going over by dinner. PointsPlus is geared toward making healthy choices, which should help you with your lifestyle change.

Average loss per week varies from person to person I think, but 1-2lbs, after an initial faster loss, is probably realistic.

Plateaus, again, tend to be individual. Some experience them, others not so much (I do - hate it!).

Let us know what you decide, and good luck!

Last edited by Fressca; 01-25-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:29 AM   #8  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I enjoy the meetings. They're great for support, focus, advice, and it's ME time. I don't even take my cell phone in. Plus you're with people who all have the same agenda.

I like the new program. The free fruit and veggies really encourages good snacking and it I feel like I have way more room to have plenty of good food to eat and never hungry.

Realistic loss is the avg 1-2 pounds/week. Like any program, there will be stalls and ups and downs. Our bodies stubbornly refuse to follow the weekly mathematical formula for weight loss. As long as the trend is heading downward it's all good. Many things affect weight from day to day. Mine has fluctuated up and down in a 4 pound range for the last week. But the tracking helps me identify what's up. Mostly salty food choices.

You can pay by the week for meetings and try a couple and see if it's for you.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:24 AM   #9  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I really like the new plan. I like that I can snack on fruit (within reason, I'm not going to eat 3 bananas at a time lol) and not count it. For me it's not much different than the old plan because my diet is based on mostly whole foods and that is what the new plan concentrates on. Things are more points, but you get more points to make up for it. I recommend the meetings because they recharge me and hold me accountable for the previous week. I always pick up tips from the leader as well as from other members. Good luck!
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #10  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I am new to WW but not to losing weight or to 3FC. Counting calories has worked for me but for several months now I have felt the need for support from people that I can see when talking to them. I joined really just for the meetings.

I think that only you can determine if the meetings will be helpful. I was also a SAHM of 4 kids for many years. (Believe it or not right now, these years go by quickly) On one hand, I loved to get out with adults but, on the other hand, it was incredibly difficult to get out.

You may have to use some trial and error to find out what is the best thing for you.

I wish you luck!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #11  

I did WW 6 yrs ago and lost 30 lbs. I stopped going to mtgs and counting pts and then gained 45 lbs.

So, if you can be disciplined and count your pts at home then I think it is doable. But if you're like me, you might need the information, the support and the accountability of wkly weigh-ins to keep you on track.

I can't really say how well the new Points Plus system will be for me as I've only been back for a wk. But I find I'm eating more fruit, choosing higher fibre/lower fat items so they are less pts and let me eat more, and am eating a lot less of the bad carbs so I think this is going to a good system for me.
bcgal00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 240ish/180/165

Height: 5'9"

I read somewhere in WW materials that people who go to meetings and track online lose the most weight. It is realistic and healthy to lose weight slowly, at 1-2 pounds a week. It sucks that it is slow, and it takes a total life-style change, but if you stick to it, it will work and come off eventually!

I personally like the meetings only to have the accountability. I have lost a lot of weight on my own, but then I get lazy---having the meeting 'scheduled' keeps me accountable, knowing I have to weigh in each week. I've only been on WW for three weeks, but this is the first time in a long time that I haven't felt like 'cheating' or 'binging' because I have something to look forward to, the reward of weighing in and the congratulations they give you every week.

Good luck!
sfree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:50 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I just switched to etools only, from doing meetings with a monthly pass. I was logging in my "at home" weight online anyway, so it didn't make sense to be paying for meetings, too.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote