Old 01-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #1  
~*Dawn*~

S/C/G: 223/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Default My obsession- the scale

Good Lord I just started counting calories yesterday and I've stepped on the scale about 30 times already.

I have a question. Yesterday morning it said 215 pounds and this morning it said 210. I stepped on and off 3 times yesterday and it stayed at 215 and I did the 3 steps this morning and it stayed at 210. You can't lose 5 pounds in a day, right? lol This is just the beginning of my obsession
DMNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #2  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 250 (Sept 2009)/177/150

Height: 5' 9"

Welcome to the world of the scale obsessed. There are many members of the club, we welcome you! LOL Many of us have the same obsession. I've already been on mine 4 times with 4 different readings. Unfortunately I ate late last night and that thing is not going where I want it to this morning.

You did not lose 5 pounds of fat overnight. Just didn't happen. You lost water weight. Our bodies can fluctuate up to even 5 pounds in a day. Example, yesterday I was 179 even. This morning I was 183.4. I did not eat 21000 calories yesterday but I did eat late and I didn't exercise for three days. It's water and the food I ate late last night. Now, after going pee it was down to 181.2 (full, FULL bladder this morning) but it's not going to get to 179 before I have breakfast so I move on. For one, I did weigh before and after I ate last night to see what the difference would be so I didn't freak out, and two I'm starting to learn my body patterns. It's pretty simple, a gain is just water and so is a loss some days. You have to find something that tracks your weight with trends so you can see that you are trending down and not up. Good luck.
Jesse Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:56 AM   #3  
~*Dawn*~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Taylor View Post
Welcome to the world of the scale obsessed. There are many members of the club, we welcome you! LOL Many of us have the same obsession. I've already been on mine 4 times with 4 different readings. Unfortunately I ate late last night and that thing is not going where I want it to this morning.

You did not lose 5 pounds of fat overnight. Just didn't happen. You lost water weight. Our bodies can fluctuate up to even 5 pounds in a day. Example, yesterday I was 179 even. This morning I was 183.4. I did not eat 21000 calories yesterday but I did eat late and I didn't exercise for three days. It's water and the food I ate late last night. Now, after going pee it was down to 181.2 (full, FULL bladder this morning) but it's not going to get to 179 before I have breakfast so I move on. For one, I did weigh before and after I ate last night to see what the difference would be so I didn't freak out, and two I'm starting to learn my body patterns. It's pretty simple, a gain is just water and so is a loss some days. You have to find something that tracks your weight with trends so you can see that you are trending down and not up. Good luck.

Thank you for the warm welcome to the scale obsession group What you're saying is that I'll be back up closer to 215 again tomorrow? I know if I eat anything heavy after 7pm, my weight is a lot higher in the morning. I snacked on a fruit loops last night around 7pm so I was expecting it to be up this morning. I just want to see the 100's again...SOON!
Old 01-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #4  
Calorie Counter

Well, don't count on it....either onederland or the scale going up to 215. I don't know the circumstances in which you weighed yourself and got 215.

Let's start with the onederland part of your statement. Be patient. The slower you lose the more likely it is to stay off. At a healthy 1.5 to 2 pounds a week you have over 7 weeks to get there and have it stick. Trust me, seeing 198 and then 201 is no fun. You want to get there and see it stick. Patience is hard, it's a virtue, many of us don't have it. But, here we have support and that can take the place of virtue.

Now, the 215. When did you weigh? Before or after your shower? When had you eaten the night before? Same for the 210? I always weigh after I pee and before my showers. You can actually gain weight in the shower. Not sure how, but everyone I know experiences it. My "theory" is that water soaks in through your skin and you gain. It's all a whole bunch of factors. Just try and be consistent.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #5  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Don't let it affect your choosing healthy foods, no matter their density (like don't choose a 100-calorie snack pack instead of a nice apple) ... choose real foods, things that would have been around years ago for your grandmother - and practice portion control and you'll see it trending in the right direction. Don't let it get into your head and play games with you - that's the start of the obsession! Pick 1-2 days per week if you need more feedback and use those as where you're standing then. And remember - measure yourself to start with - that's a great indicator of where you're at. If you're losing fat, you're losing inches.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:27 AM   #6  
~*Dawn*~

Thanks! I have done CC before and I know it works, I lost about 30 pounds in 4 months. I know it will take time to get to onederland, I'm just so excited to see those numbers again lol

As far as the weighing, yesterday I did have on long work out pants and a t-shirt, this morning was shorts and a tank top. I'm sure that has a lot to do with it but 5 pounds worth? LOL I'm going to try to make my official weigh in day on Fridays
Old 01-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 275/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I am doing official weigh ins but I have been weighing everyday but only do it once at the same time everyday. So many factors can contribute to your weight fluctuation.
LARWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #8  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I am here to officially welcome you to the daily weigher's club. I weigh daily and have found it FREES me of obsessions, actually. I hop on in the morning and whatever that number is counts. The other five times I may hop on later in the day are for amusement purposes only. But allowing myself to weigh whenever I want has taught me a lot about what my body does.

Also, many digital scales are programmed to give you the same reading time after time if the reading is close. So before I hop on, I mess it up by weighing my foot first. Then I get on again. By doing this, I bet you will not get the same reading three times in a row. That's ok. It just shows how inaccurate these things really are. The scale is just a tool. The scale...it's just at tool. We have a whole tool box full of them. The scale, the measuring tape, the camera, our clothes and our energy levels are all great weight loss tools for tracking our progress.

I have also found that on days when I have to urinate a lot for no particular reason, no extra liquid intake, I always have a drop on the scale the next day. It's the body releasing all its water and maybe there are fat molecules in there too.

Last edited by Eliana; 01-13-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #9  
Calorie Counter

Always weigh naked if possible. Yes, your outfit the day before could have weighed up to 5 pounds. I have a semi-denim shirt that weighs one pound all by itself and it's light IMO. Clothes matter. Weigh in the same thing every day if you aren't going to weigh naked make it as little as possible, never jeans; jeans are bad to weigh in.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 200/176/140

Height: 5'4"

A good idea is to track your weigh ins at different times of the day so that you can learn your body's fluctuations. Each night before I go to bed I strip down and weigh in, usually 2-3 pounds heavier than I do in the morning. I weigh the same time at night and the same time in the morning. Now throughout the day it varies, depending on how much water intake and how much/when I eat. Anyways, tracking could be helpful.

Last edited by LindseyLou; 01-13-2011 at 11:15 AM.
LindseyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 234/ticker/154

Height: 5'6"

my morning routine
-get up
-go pee
-turn on the shower
-get undressed
-weigh

every day. I tend to fluctuate 2-3lbs increments for some reason, but now that I know that, daily weighing fluctuations don't bother me (much).
keziah23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/240

Height: 5' 7"

Well so happy to see this thread. I was going to start a thread about scales because I thought mine was crazy. It kept going up and down between 1 - 3 and it was driving me crazy I was just about to go out and buy a new battery.

Thank goodness I read this first.

I'm using the Health -O Meter digital scale which I like alot
It has 2 memory setting for 2 people
It shows you how much you have gained or loss since the last time.
I really really like it and I'm glad to know it's not crazy or broke LOL

What kind of scale do you all use. Chime in.
2feelbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:16 AM   #13  
slim endgame

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

Hi DMNewman to calorie counting! I also weigh daily but just once in the morning. I'm afraid if I weighed several times a day if it showed much of an increase (and it will) it will make me feel so discouraged it would make me feel like giving up.
I think it would be good for you to keep a journal. With the date your weight, daily calories, etc. You will be able to see patterns- I have learned by my journal what normal weight loss looks like. Some weeks I lose 1 or 2 Lbs. some weeks 0 Lbs. Some weeks may show a gain. That does not necessarily mean that gain was fat gain- it may be water gain or TOM.
I guess my point is the weight may move all around 1- 3 Lbs. but if you look at the numbers you will see a steady downward spiral in those numbers.
Be sure to write down all your measurements too- from your neck to your ankles. It's really fun watching those numbers keep coming down.
Have a happy great new year!!
goal4agirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:01 AM   #14  
Restarting AGAIN

S/C/G: 167/114/140/see ticker/105

Height: not quite 5'

I also weigh several times daily. I don't count a new low til I see it a few times, lol. I don't let it get me down, but I am fascinated y the way my weight varies through out the day.

Nice to meet more scale obsessed!
Sindaena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:35 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

*stands up* Hi, my name is Lindsay, and I'm addicted to my scale.

I feel like we should start a scale-aholics anonymous or something! I weigh myself when I wake up, after I go to the bathroom, after I work out, after I shower, after I eat, before bed.... and probably 50 other times during the day!! I only count my morning weigh in, since it seems like the most accurate. You can't lose 5 real pounds in a day, but I bet if you were retaining a lot of water you could lose that much water weight in a day. Don't be discouraged if you're at 213 or something tomorrow (it's not a 3 pound gain, it's a 2 pound loss in 2 days, which is awesome!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2feelbetter View Post
I'm using the Health -O Meter digital scale which I like alot
It has 2 memory setting for 2 people
It shows you how much you have gained or loss since the last time.
I have the same scale!! Mine is REALLY touchy, so I usually step on and off like 4 times each time to make sure that I get the most accurate weight. Also, I don't know if this is true for all scales, but this one will read at least 3 pounds lower when its up against the wall (so I obviously only use it up against the wall ).

Last edited by mdchick88; 01-16-2011 at 01:40 AM.
mdchick88 is offline   Reply With Quote