General chatter - What are you Reading Jan 2011

View Full Version : What are you Reading Jan 2011

Smiling_Sara
01-01-2011, 12:29 AM
New year upon us. I am looking forward to reading a lot of great books from the recommendations from the great people of 3FC! :) What are you reading?

About 1/4 of the way through Hero At Large by Janet Evanovich. Am really enjoying it so far.

Sweet Tea Sweetie
01-01-2011, 01:27 AM
These is My Words

goal4agirl
01-01-2011, 02:06 AM
Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates.
I recently watched the movie with Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. DiCaprio's acting was so awesome in this movie I decided to read the book. I could not put it down. And it gave me a lot to think about. :eek:

walking2lose
01-01-2011, 03:41 AM
I just finished True Grit and LOVED it. Can't wait to see the movie! I'm also reading Mockingjay (third in Hunger Games series - I teach high school English) and recently finished The Help (loved).

walking2lose
01-01-2011, 03:41 AM
I recently watched the movie with Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. DiCaprio's acting was so awesome in this movie I decided to read the book. I could not put it down. And it gave me a lot to think about. :eek:

I'll put it on my list!

wednesdaymorning
01-01-2011, 05:20 AM
I'm reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath right now. I love the '50s setting and the mood of the book. Really reminds me of The Catcher in the Rye (my fave book) but from a female perspective.

Does anyone know of any other good '50s/'60s set books?

Oh, and I finished The Time Traveller's Wife not too long ago. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Blech.

CanadianCutie
01-01-2011, 12:15 PM
I'm about halfway through Kate Morton's The Forgotten Garden. It is very hard for me to put down. The only time I do is when I'm too tired to keep reading.

dandimae
01-01-2011, 02:59 PM
I just got finished reading The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End by Ken Follett. They're SO good! Both really amazing books that I couldn't put down. They're really big, but they go fast. I love this thread. I'm getting out my notebook and I'm going to write all of these down.

walking2lose: I just saw True Grit and the movie was AWESOME!

audri8301
01-01-2011, 11:21 PM
I am working my way through the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich, I think I'm on Seven Up right now. They keep me laughing. Also about to start Slaughterhouse Five for my book club.

theox
01-02-2011, 12:10 AM
David Copperfield by Charles Dickens.

JennyT
01-02-2011, 12:33 AM
Oh, and I finished The Time Traveller's Wife not too long ago. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Blech.

I'm reading this right now, its not that great of a read I agree but once I start a book I need to finish it!

martha328
01-02-2011, 12:59 AM
I am working my way through the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich, I think I'm on Seven Up right now. They keep me laughing. Also about to start Slaughterhouse Five for my book club.

I love that series!!

I am currently reading The Lonely Bones by Alice Sebold. I know the movie came out not too long ago and I wanted to read it before I saw it.

My husband has gotten me the Harry Potter Collection for Christmas (it comes in a chest). I have read them all already, but I am pretty sure I will be reading them again next -- or he will get his feelings hurt, haha. :p

Faux
01-02-2011, 01:38 AM
one of my True Blood books. Will try to read two of them this month. would love to get through the series.

srmb60
01-02-2011, 06:37 AM
I got a Sony reader for Christmas. The first book I downloaded was One for the Money. I'm half way through Two for the Dough. I love series'!

The Last Noel
01-02-2011, 06:57 AM
Reading The Hot Zone by Richard Preston. Irshad Manji is next on the reading list, again. Then it will probably be some random trashy spy fiction or I will re-read A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin in anticipation of the HBO project.

rain mae
01-02-2011, 07:32 AM
I'm currently reading 'Norwegian wood' and 'Prozac Nation'.

GabrielleEmersyn
01-02-2011, 06:23 PM
sorry i totally skipped over this thread before replying to December!

I am reading The Queens Fool, by Phillipa Gregory - part of the Tudor series

Shopaholic1204
01-02-2011, 09:40 PM
I'm reading Succubus on Top by Richelle Mead.

alinnell
01-02-2011, 11:08 PM

This just shows you that there are differences of opinion. I read the book first and absolutely hated it. DH wanted to watch the movie, so we did, but I warned him....he hated it, too. I guess we didn't like how self absorbed the characters were.

GreenTeaYum
01-03-2011, 10:22 PM
I'm reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath right now. I love the '50s setting and the mood of the book. Really reminds me of The Catcher in the Rye (my fave book) but from a female perspective.

I recently read I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou- I absolutely loved it. A bit dark- but very engrossing and it reminded me a bit of Catcher in the Rye too.

Right now, I'm reading The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver P÷tzsch- I just started last night and I'm just a few chapters in, but I am already in love with it. I think it's going to be a really good book.

Bac0s
01-03-2011, 10:31 PM
The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Just finished The Comfort of Strangers by Ian McEwan. I don't recommend that one unless you like being disturbed. ;)

GradPhase
01-04-2011, 03:16 PM
I'm reading This is Not Civilization by Robert Rosenberg, Devil in the White City by Erik Larson, Little Bee by Chris Cleave, and today I'm picking up a copy of Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen -- it's been on my wishlist for a LONG time, and now that there's a movie coming out it is definitely well past time to pick it up!

alinnell
01-04-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm reading This is Not Civilization by Robert Rosenberg, Devil in the White City by Erik Larson, Little Bee by Chris Cleave, and today I'm picking up a copy of Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen -- it's been on my wishlist for a LONG time, and now that there's a movie coming out it is definitely well past time to pick it up!

I really enjoyed Devil in the White City and Water for Elephants. You'll like them.

GreenTeaYum
01-04-2011, 04:55 PM

I LOVED Water for Elephants- it is one of my all-time faves now.

Sweet Tea Sweetie
01-05-2011, 12:34 AM
God Speaks Again:An Introduction to the Baha'i Faith

CeeJay
01-05-2011, 01:01 AM
Just finishing Alice Munro- Too Much Happiness. Awesome stories. Love her and would recommend any of her books.

Starting in on Keith Richards autobiography Life. A Christmas gift.

Also rereading Dr. Judith Beck's The Beck Diet Solution.

walking2lose
01-05-2011, 09:44 PM

I agree - I hated Time Travelers though I have friends who loved it. Terrible.

MissKoo
01-05-2011, 09:55 PM
I just got "Why we get fat" by Gary Taubes and I almost finished it in ONE DAY. It really is interesting about how some people cannot lose weight and keep it off if they don't seriously cut out the fast carbs. I really like how he points out the folk wisdom in the old days that "potatoes and pasta are fattening." My grandma said that and, in my case, it is so right.

Also, I'm in the middle of "Freedom" by Jonathan Franzen and "Gods in Alabama" by Joshilyn Jackson (which is a wonderful story so far)

vdander24
01-05-2011, 11:23 PM
I just got finished reading The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End by Ken Follett. They're SO good! Both really amazing books that I couldn't put down. They're really big, but they go fast.

I LOVED those two books! Have you read the Fall of Giants yet? That is his latest book, and the first in his new series.

Right now... I am "reading"(making a terrible attempt at cooking from) Rachel Ray's latest cookbook... I made her midwinter minestrone, and the 30 minute recipe took me about an hour and a half! On the plus side, I think it is pretty healthy!

I just finished the YA book awakened (House of night series)
And I am still working on The Emporer's tomb by Steve Berry.

Shopaholic1204 I LOVE Richelle Mead! Be careful! She has a new book in the succubus series coming out in March. Can't wait to hear how you liked it!

dandimae
01-06-2011, 12:24 AM
vdander: I just saw the other day that he even had a new book! I absolutely LOVE Ken Follett! I just can't stop his stuff once I start. I've read every other one of his books too.

I'm actually reading the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn right now and loving every crazy second of it. I love books about the CIA and espionage and all that spy stuff so these are right up my alley. I have Fall of Giants and I'm going to read it as soon as I'm finished with the rest of the books in this series.

walking2lose
01-08-2011, 12:30 PM
I just got "Why we get fat" by Gary Taubes and I almost finished it in ONE DAY. It really is interesting about how some people cannot lose weight and keep it off if they don't seriously cut out the fast carbs. I really like how he points out the folk wisdom in the old days that "potatoes and pasta are fattening." My grandma said that and, in my case, it is so right.

MissKoo - Good Calories Bad Calories(Gary Taubes' first book) was one of the most life changing books I've read, and I have ordered Why We Get Fat and am looking forward to reading it. If you're interested, join us at the primal/paleo thread (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/220803-primal-paleo-jan-2011-a.html) -- most of us over there are devotees of Taubes' book. :)

I believe we are going to see a huge shift in thinking about what is healthy to eat in the next few years due to these ideas!

***Sorry for the tangent... back to the topic at hand: My book club is reading Cutting for Stone for February. I just picked it up but haven't started yet - has anyone read it?

Davikatl16
01-08-2011, 01:48 PM
I just finished Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury and started on The Essential Transcendentalists by Richard G. Geldard. :) I love learning about writing and Authors so much <3

Proverbs169
01-08-2011, 05:21 PM
I just started reading "Lottery" by Patricia Wood. It's a novel about a mildly ******ed man who wins $12 million in the lottery and his greedy family. Kind of a tear- jerker so far, hopefully it doesn't stay that way :)

Bac0s
01-08-2011, 10:24 PM

I love The Bell Jar. I read it again every couple of years.

Shanekmh87
01-09-2011, 01:24 AM
Currently I'm finishing up The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, then I'll be working on The Girl Who Played With Fire. :D

I recommend it, although the first 150 pages or so are a pain to get through and mostly irrelevant to the rest of the storyline. It gets so much better though, and the movie summarizes that part nicely in about 5 minutes. :)

ckatgo
01-09-2011, 09:01 AM
I have not seen this thread! I am so happy to finally see it!!

I am working my way thru "Cleopatra" by Stacy Schiff, and just finished, "Pillers of the Earth". I now need to get, "Fall of Giants".

"Cleopatra" is not an easy read, but worth it.

I have to get the Taubes book and the other Ken Folliet, I also have "The Hang Man's Daughter" waiting in the kindle. I am glad to hear it is good.

I got some reading to do!!!

jilly6
01-09-2011, 09:06 AM
I am on the 2nd book of the O'malley series by Dee Henderson. I finished reading "Here's The Story by Maureen McCormick ( didn't care for it). MY goal is to read 100 books this year.

CanadianCutie
01-09-2011, 12:53 PM
I just finished The Forgotten Garden this morning. Excellent novel. And I'm planning on starting The Pillars of the Earth in a few minutes. It's rather daunting, with the small print and the 1000 pages. The last book I read that was this long was River God.

NYGiantsGirl
01-09-2011, 01:05 PM
So many good books mentioned in this thread!

I am currently reading my way through Anthony Bourdain's books. I guess maybe reading about food is silly, but he is my favorite TV personality ever, and his books are amazing -- sarcastic, witty and compelling. I'm on A Cook's Tour right now.

I also recently read The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff (a B+) and Still Alice by Lisa Genova (an A).

But the best book I read in 2010 ... maybe one of my favorites of all time ... Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. Transcendent.

megems
01-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Taken by Midnight by Lara Adrian

Waiting impatiently for Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning

For all those who posted you are starting/working your way through the Stephanie Plum series- You will love them all. The entire series is fabulous!

FrouFrou
01-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Don't Blink by James Patterson

Love all the Stephanie Plum books, can't wait for the newest one and Water for Elephants...LOVED it!

Another that didn't care much for The Time Travelers Wife...kind of annoyed me but I did finish the whole book even though at times I didn't think I could read anymore.

alinnell
01-09-2011, 02:58 PM
I just finished The Forgotten Garden this morning. Excellent novel. And I'm planning on starting The Pillars of the Earth in a few minutes. It's rather daunting, with the small print and the 1000 pages. The last book I read that was this long was River God.

It's not daunting at all. You'll get so absorbed you won't even notice. Suddenly you'll realize you're almost done!

nessalyn
01-09-2011, 03:50 PM
I've been reading...pretty much all the books by Carolyn Brown lately...that and my Social Work/Psych books but those are no fun lol.
I'm very into the western/ranching type romacne books.

HMM3
01-10-2011, 04:15 PM
I've just finished Freedom by Jonathan Franzen really loved it .... and have started Crime and Punishment ..... (I've made a goal to read the Russians this year) ..... I've been told this is the least daunting .... :)

ckatgo
01-11-2011, 07:44 AM
So many good books mentioned in this thread!

I am currently reading my way through Anthony Bourdain's books. I guess maybe reading about food is silly, but he is my favorite TV personality ever, and his books are amazing -- sarcastic, witty and compelling. I'm on A Cook's Tour right now.

I also recently read The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff (a B+) and Still Alice by Lisa Genova (an A).

But the best book I read in 2010 ... maybe one of my favorites of all time ... Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. Transcendent.

I love bourdain's writing! I have his book "medium raw" on reserve at the library now...

shellsbrood
01-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Y'all put me to shame. I'm a big fan of children's books. I'm reading The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan.

Also about to start Slaughterhouse Five for my book club.

I read that for my modernism/post-modernism class. Interestingly weird book!

dandimae
01-11-2011, 09:06 PM
I have to go through and write all of these books down!

Clydegirl
01-11-2011, 10:11 PM
I finished "Dragon Tattoo" about to start "Girl Who Played With Fire".

I read "Cross" by James Patterson on Saturday. A quick read.

I have "In Her Shoes" on the go and also Revolutionary Road which is a bit depressing that I pick up every now and again.

My new year's resolution is to read more.

vdander24
01-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Y'all put me to shame. I'm a big fan of children's books. I'm reading The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan.

I love the YA/ Childrens books too! I actually read the Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan back in August, and really enjoyed it.

Dandimae: I am so excited for you to read the Fall of Giants! Let me know how you like it. I have been interested in Vince Flynn, but don't know where to start. Any ideas?
I usually read David Baldacci, and Steve Berry for my mystery/espionage/action.
David's Books usually go pretty fast, and I like Steve Berry because at the end of his books, he goes through and tells you what is fact or fiction, so you get a good history lesson.

Next up for me, I think is Water for Elephants, seeing as the movie is coming out in April. Then, in my Sony list is the The dragon tattoo series, then waiting for another Richelle Mead book.

ALL of this is just biding time, though because I need something to do until the next Outlander or Lord John book comes out. I didn't get turned on to diana Gabaldon until after she had published An Echo in the Bone, so I flew threw them, and NOBODY told me it takes upwards of THREE years to get her book published. So now I am like a junkie without a fix! They should put a warning on the first page of the book!

NYGiantsGirl
01-11-2011, 10:57 PM
I love bourdain's writing! I have his book "medium raw" on reserve at the library now...

Medium Raw is going to keep me company on my 3-hour train trip (well, 6 hours round-trip) this weekend!

Well, that and Sudoku :carrot::carrot:

lapetitemortxo
01-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Right now I'm reading Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Schiff, The Wolves of Andover by Kathleen Kent, The Life and Opinions of Maf the Dog, and of His Friend Marilyn Monroe by Andrew O'Hagan, and State by State: A Panoramic Portrait of America, which is a collection of essays on the 50 states by 50 different writers.

As you can see, I have trouble being monogamous with books.

megems
01-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Rereading Dreamfever by Karen Marie Moning, to get ready for next weeks release of Shadowfever. It's always sad when a series ends!

alinnell
01-12-2011, 11:21 AM
I still have about 200 pages to go in Fall of Giants, and although I really like it, it isn't the "can't put it down" type of book like his Pillars of the Earth and the other one.

I just signed up for a new service called Any New Books? where you enter your email address and then choose your interests and then they email you lists of new books that meet your criteria. Might be good. We'll see.

time2lose
01-12-2011, 12:46 PM
I love the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich! Right now I am rereading an old favorite Evergreen by Belva Plain.

I got a Kindle for Christmas and am loving it!

Smiling_Sara
01-16-2011, 01:20 PM
Just started The Beach House by Jane Green.

Her books are sometimes hit or miss for me. Hope this one is a hit.

Glory87
01-16-2011, 02:14 PM
I just finished reading Good Daughters (http://www.amazon.com/Good-Daughters-Novel-Joyce-Maynard/dp/0061994316/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295201587&sr=8-1). It was VERY heavy handed and I didn't really like any of the characters. It has roots in a very interesting real life situation (which I heard about on This American Life a few years ago), so that part I did like.

nessalyn
01-16-2011, 02:46 PM
I've tried reading Diana Gabaldon, but I just can't get into the books. Which really stinks because they're thick books and she has quite a few of them lol!

alinnell
01-16-2011, 07:41 PM
I've been in such a funk about books. I'm close to finishing the new Tom Follett and I've been searching for something new. I just can't get psyched about anything, although I'm leaning toward Alice I have Been (http://www.amazon.com/Alice-Have-Been-Random-Readers/dp/0385344147/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295221279&sr=8-1). Has anyone read this?

megems
01-16-2011, 09:32 PM
I've tried reading Diana Gabaldon, but I just can't get into the books. Which really stinks because they're thick books and she has quite a few of them lol!

Are you speaking of her Highlander series? I am going to start those in a few weeks. Have a TBR pile I am going through right now.

My close friend is reading these (I think she is on book 4 or 5), she said the first one was a little hard to get through, just cause it can be really confusing - but after that she said they are awesome! Stick it out, it may be worth the wait!!

nessalyn
01-16-2011, 10:23 PM
Yeah, I bought the first one, I can't remember the name right now.
I'm such a fluff reader though, it's horrible. I always tell everyone that since I have to read boring textbooks for class, I should get to read books that i don't have to think about much!
I just picked up A Hopeless ROmantic by Harriet Evans today.

CanadianCutie
01-16-2011, 11:54 PM
I've been in such a funk about books. I'm close to finishing the new Tom Follett and I've been searching for something new. I just can't get psyched about anything, although I'm leaning toward Alice I have Been (http://www.amazon.com/Alice-Have-Been-Random-Readers/dp/0385344147/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295221279&sr=8-1). Has anyone read this?

I read Alice I Have Been, a couple books ago (I average about 2 books a month, sometimes more). I'm not an Alice in Wonderland fan, just never really got into it, probably because my Mom didn't like the book/disney movie so I was never exposed to it til I was an adult. That being said the story behind it is very interesting which Alice I Have Been expands upon. Be prepared to feel a little uneasy while you read it. My fiance's mother works at a bookstore and she let me borrow her advanced readers copy of the book.

ANOther
01-17-2011, 12:30 PM
Just finished The Lost Dogs (about the rescue of the pit bulls from Michael Vick's dogfighting operation and where they are now) and starting Tabloid Medicine (an indictment of scare reports about stuff like the now-discredited link between the MMR vaccine and autism, celebrities anointing themselves as healthcare experts and the like)

alinnell
01-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Has anyone ever read anything by Jack Ketchum?

megems
01-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Reading Indulgence in Death by J.D. Robb! Love this series!

Cheshirecat
01-23-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm going through my TBR list starting with fantasy.
Right now I'm on Castle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones, which is a sequel to Howl's Moving Castle--though the main characters are new with the characters from Howl's taking a secondary role. Good fun.

FrouFrou
01-23-2011, 02:21 PM
I have read one or two books by Ketchum, just can't remember what, lmao. Will have to check my list of books/goodreads seems like it was The Girl Next Door or something like that.

Currently reading...A Gate at the Stairs by Lorrie Moore

alinnell
01-23-2011, 02:56 PM
I have read one or two books by Ketchum, just can't remember what, lmao. Will have to check my list of books/goodreads seems like it was The Girl Next Door or something like that.

Currently reading...A Gate at the Stairs by Lorrie Moore

That's the one I'm thinking of getting. They say horror just doesn't describe it fully.

nessalyn
01-24-2011, 05:32 PM
I just finished Pieces of Sky by Kaki Warner...it was slow starting, but it was a really good read! Especially if you like historical romances.

DigitalSinner
01-24-2011, 06:44 PM
The Shattering by Christie Golden just came in the mail for me today! Nerdtastic!!!!

CanadianCutie
01-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Nerdtastic!!!! LMAO, I love it.

ANOther
01-27-2011, 12:24 PM
A Planet for the President by Alistair Beaton

audri8301
01-27-2011, 12:51 PM
I read that for my modernism/post-modernism class. Interestingly weird book!

I made it through that one, but wasn't a huge fan. The way it jumped around annoyed me, which is kind of weird, since unlike so many people on this thread I LOVED The Time Traveler's Wife and the jumping around in that didn't bother me at all. I have to admit that I read a ton of kids' books too, loved Riordan's Percy Jackson series and can't wait to jump into his new ones when I get some time.

I just started Ender's Game, which is my book club's current selection. It's pretty interesting so far.

morphomel
01-27-2011, 07:11 PM
I've got two books going at the moment. For non-fiction, Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach. Fiction, Contact by Carl Sagan.

milasmommy87
01-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Reading Indulgence in Death by J.D. Robb! Love this series!

Ooo Me too! I think I've read almost every one, give or take a couple lol...