Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 12-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 266/216/166

Height: 5' 1"

Default Just got prescribed prozac (and a bit of a rant on other things)

So I've never really talked on here much about my depression.
I got prescribed prozac a week ago and am suppose to start tomorrow. I've had depression for a long, long time, ever since I was around the 5th grade-ish and after a lot of counselling and what-not I decided I wanted to try medication to see if that would help any. Maybe I've been lying to myself but I think that my depression has a lot to do with my weight. I'm terrified of going on prozac because of the 'weight gain' that I've heard about. I mean that sounds stupid, I haven't been losing lately, but I don't want to gain anymore than I already have.
I've been really depressed lately. If it were up to me I wouldn't even get up in the morning, I'd just stay in bed all day. I'm thinking the winter isn't helping, since this is generally when it gets at it's very very worst. And if I may lay it on y'all (because it's been bugging me) But last weekend I went to see The Nutcracker and it was amazing (when isn't it) but I was just so sad after. I've always wanted to be a ballerina. I started taking classes when I was five and I went to a very nice popular area dance school here. I loved it, I loved it so so much. I loved the way that being in all the cute costumes made me feel and how happy I was to be dancing in front of a lot of people. But then I moved and went to a dance program that was connected to my after school program at the time (this is from like 8-10 at this point). The instructor was an older woman, she was really skinny and just really....idk. She was definitely different from my old one. Anyway after a while I realized I wasn't being treated like the other girls. I was never called on to lead stretches, I was always shoved in the back of preformances, even today this came up with a friend and she mentioned that she had 'felt bad because you were always out back'. My teacher eventually called my mom and told her that she was 'worried' about my weight and after that I just didn't want to go anymore. It's been on my mind so much lately. My dream job as a child was to be a professional dancer and I know that at any weight a person can do ballet but after seeing The Nutcracker I couldn't do that, but that's what I want to do, mainly because of my loose skin. How 'pretty' would it be to be seeing that on stage?
Sorry for that but it's really been bugging me.
bunnythesAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Its nice to meet you.

The only way to find out if it works for you is to try it. Remember, each person reacts differently to meds, so don't panic.

I personally liked being on Prozac, I lost a lot of weight on it It actually curbed my appetite as well as help with my depression

So hang in there, give it a try and think positive

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:46 PM   #3  
calorie counting works!

S/C/G: 171/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I can't speak to the depression or the Prozac, but the one thing that I thought of while reading your message was that you need to dance. Ballet makes you happy, so do it--even if it's just in your living room to start. And if eventually you get to the point where you're dancing on stage, there are things that can be done to disguise or get rid of loose skin. So don't let that stop you! Dance!
reji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 368/336/165

Height: 5'6"

If dancing is what makes you happy, do it. Your second ballet teacher was :ardon my french:: a complete and utter a$$hole. You were a kid and I bet you were just as cute as any of the other girls. BTW, Is the picture in your avatar you? If so, you're gorgeous. You look a lot like Lea Michele from Glee. BTW, I'm on prozac (60mg) and it helped me a lot. I feel more focused and energetic and I'm not so prone to laying in bed all day. I actually feel like doing things. Not to say I don't still have bad days but, with all the stuff going on in my life, that's not shocking. Give it a chance and maybe it'll work. But, even if that particular pill doesn't work, they can change the dosage or put you on another one. Don't give up hope and don't give up on your dreams. ::HUG::
iHeartU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 266/216/166

Height: 5' 1"

Aw yes it is me, thank you =]. I'm glad to hear that the meds have helped you guys, I've heard a lot of 'horror stories' about it. My friend and I talked about joining ballet again so...I just might!
bunnythesAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 174/170/125

Height: 5'2"

There's no guarantee that Prozac will do anything for you, but if it does, trust me--medication can make a huge difference. It's a lot harder to think clearly and make decisions when you're depressed, which makes it harder to lose weight and to feel okay about your life. If you can find the right medication by working with your doctor, trust me, it'll be so much easier to figure out what you want to do and how you want to live your life. Best of luck to you! Do what makes you happy.
Eurydice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Bunny--
Different meds work differently for different people--try to be aware of how the meds are affecting you after you've started taking them. Then, stay in close touch with your doctor regaqrding the outcome--a good doctor will work with you to help you find the correct medication.

In reading your post, the ballet episode that happened so early in your life really seems to have had a big impact on you. That teacher was a jerk, and I'm sad and sorry that they took away your interest/comfort level with dancing.

I'm reading a book (I won't specify the name cuz I'm new here and don't want anyone to think I'm a spammer) that talks about the process of weight loss on an emotional/spiritual level. One of the exercises in the book relates to going back in your mind to try to remember when your opinion of your body changed from the wonderfulness of childhood innocence to something else, and I think the dance-teacher-experience is part of that for you. It was probably one of the first times that you looked at your body with "judgment", instead of it just being what you lived in...:-)

The energy in your post about how wronged you felt and how gypped you have felt since really stands out to me to be something to work through--finding a way to repair the damage done from that experience is probably pretty important to your overall weight loss process. I see no better way to do that than to dance!!!! Dance dance dance because you love it and it makes you feel good--dancing allows you to inhabit your body at a level that we don't really allow ourselves to do when we are overweight--we try to disconnect from this part of us that we feel isn't really "us". When you dance, you HAVE to inhabit your body, and when you love dancing, that love will transfer to a love for your body that will help both your depression and your weight loss.

I'm sorry to be all psycho-babbly...it just felt really clear to me from your post. On a shallower level, I have found success from taking vitamin D (large doses--like 5000 IU), especially in winter. That, in combination with Vitamins C and B, make a huge difference in how I feel. Vitamin D is the "sunshine vitamin", and we don't get much of that at this time of the year! One more thing--dancing is probably a new exercise method for you--different than what you've been doing, which will make your body work differently, and if you've plateaued, will get your losses going again.

Good luck! :-)
ChickyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #8  
Too big to fail!

S/C/G: 202.8/192/150

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie View Post
Its nice to meet you.

The only way to find out if it works for you is to try it. Remember, each person reacts differently to meds, so don't panic.

I personally liked being on Prozac, I lost a lot of weight on it It actually curbed my appetite as well as help with my depression

So hang in there, give it a try and think positive

Leenie
Leenie,

I am taking prozac now to help wean off Cymbalta. I have actually taken all of the SSRI's now and Prozac seems to be the most effective with the least amount of side effects.....at least for me. It's great that it helped you as well. It's all trial and error....
pamelasusan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190S/188C/135G

Height: A hair under 5 ft.

Hi. Would like to say Im currently taking prozac. My chief complaint was too much energy ( i have anxiety issues also). Dr. reduced it. Anway it curbs my appetite also. I wouldnt worry about gaining w Prozac. Depression makes me gain for sure!
worktobedone00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #10  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

My husband is on Prozac and said it has actually helped him with his weight loss. He doesn't have as many binges as he used to, and I've noticed him eating less than he used to.

His doctors told him Prozac might make him lose weight. One of his biggest issues is his weight, I mean, he could lose his job over it, so the doctors weren't about to put him on something that would make him gain more.

He said he's already lost 6 or so pounds on it, and he's been taking it for about a week and a half now. He said it has actually reduced his appetite.

Last edited by Pint Sized Terror; 01-02-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #11  
Too big to fail!

S/C/G: 202.8/192/150

Height: 5'3

I have been on 20mg for about 2.5 weeks now and have noticed a definite decrease in my appetite. I don't have the desire to 'graze' like I used to. It might just be in my head but hey...if it works!
pamelasusan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 190S/188C/135G

Height: A hair under 5 ft.

Hi pamsusan. I dont think its in your head. It does help. I thought I was imagining it too, but it seems to be good...
worktobedone00 is offline   Reply With Quote