PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #1  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

Default spironolactone experiences, anyone?

So, I've thought for years that I have PCOS. I have a huge number of the symptoms, but my hormone levels don't meet whatever diagnostic crieteria my doctors are using. However, I've been seeing a dermatologist for my acne and nothing has cleared it up completely so far. She thinks I have PCOS and that spironolactone might help clear up my acne as well as help with the hair loss and facial hair I've been having issues with. So, has anyone else taken it? What were your experiences like? Did it work? Side effects? My husband is picking it up for me today.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I don't usually post here, but I was on Spiro for awhile, years ago. I was never 100% diagnosed with PCOS, but had an overzealous endocrinologist (who incidentally was a big ol' jerk), who put me on everything under the sun. I didn't notice much difference on it, as far as lessening of facial hair, but as I said I was on a lot of medications at the time, and there could have been interactions. One thing I do remember, was birth control being a must as I was told Spiro can cause serious birth defects.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:43 PM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I tried it but couldn't remember to take it regularly long enough to even make it through one bottle.

So... not really helpful.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #4  

I was initially put on spiro in college to treat hormonal acne (which I now know is caused by PCOS). After 4-5 months on both spiro and nuva ring, I really started to see results. I didn't think my skin could be so clear!

I eventually switch to yasmin, which has a similar ingredient at spiro, then eventually stopped taking yasmin to give my body a break from the pill, but once I did that, my skin absolutely blew up again. I went back on spiro in July, then on yaz in October when I was diagnosed with PCOS and my skin is just starting to clear up again. I'm hoping that I'll start to see the full results after a few more months of the spiro and yaz together.

Spiro is a diuretic, so the first time I took it i felt like it made me need to pee more than normal, but I haven't really felt that way this time. It does take a while to start working, so stick with it and stay optimistic!
BMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #5  
Jeri

Thanks everyone. I've already been taking a diuretic for blood pressure - my doctor just switched me from my old one to spiro, so hopefully my body won't react too much in the peeing all night department . I'll update after I've been taking it awhile and let you know. It seems like the only thing left for me, acne wise, if this doesn't work is Accutane, and that stuff scares me.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 378/*ticker*/180

Height: 5'9

I'm on it now...for about a month and a half...no noticable results yet, but it takes awhile...I do pee all night long though...lol...I will check back and let ya know if anything improves...
kimmirue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 202/169/155

Height: 5'5"

Eclipse - about your acne ...

I had tried everything, also (I thought), until my dermo put me on a 90-day regimen of mild antibiotics along with Retin-A cream. Surprisingly, it's been about 2 weeks and my skin is clear enough to not wear makeup! I am shocked!

Also, this might be a drastic suggestion, but I went vegetarian about 6 weeks ago, and my skin started clearing up almost immediately. You might consider eliminating some of the dairy (full of hormones) and meat (full of ... oh, who knows how it helped, but it did). Accutane is SO dangerous, so I understand your hesitance, but I wasn't sure whether you'd thought about these other options.

Also, spiro did absolutely nothing for me (for the record). I was on it for about 2 months and nothing changed. I have since gotten on Met and the dermo drugs, and things have improved immensely.
drummergrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 151/145/125

Height: 5'6

I was on Spironolactone for abotu 6 months.. The doc suggested it to reduce my facial hair growth. I stopped after 6 months because it didn't do anything for my hair but it did make my skin extremely smooth. I am not prone to much facial acne to begin with, but I could still see the difference.
nina125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 378/*ticker*/180

Height: 5'9

Ok, so lately I've been noticing that the facial hair growth has slowed down. It doesn't come in and quickly after a shave, my face stays smoother longer. I've been on it since beginning of December.
kimmirue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:21 AM   #10  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Glad it is working out for you, kimmirue!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:25 PM   #11  
Long Journey

S/C/G: 350/350/175

Height: 5'10"

Spiro can take up to a year before you see results. Be patient. I am trying to be.
lovegoddess1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #12  
Jeri

I forgot to update this. I stopped taking it. My acne got way worse after I started it, but I was willing to wait it out because I know acne med sometimes make it worse before it gets better. But I had my first menstrual cycle since I started taking it, and it was the worst I'd ever had (and I've had some really bad ones!) Two weeks of heavy bleeding, cramps, and a few of those passing golf ball to tennis ball sized clots (really, I couldn't believe things that size could come out of me!). So, I decided that it wasn't worth it. I hope it works for the rest of you who are trying it!