PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 279/272/175

Height: 5'9"

Default no gallbladder and pcos

so, how many of you also have had your gallbladder removed?

i was wondering what vitamins you take that help in any way?
like metabolism boosters, and other supplements that can make our bodies work better?
i had a dr recommend l-lysine a while back.

so I'm taking the following:
l-lysine, biotin, potassium gluconate, b6, prenatal vitamin, and when i feel down i take a vitamin c.

also, would metamucial be helpful at all?
I'm sick of the constant diarrhea after eating. (sorry if tmi)

anyone got any tips?
thanks
couponmom85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #2  

Ginger root!! Trust me! I'm so glad I read this! I had mine removed back in 2006 after almost dying from complications from my gallbladder that turned into Pancreatitis (for me it was caused by pregnancy and child birth). Stupidly never went back for my post surgery appointment so I never knew what to expect. I had a newborn so it was the last thing on my mind. One day sometime after surgery it happened for the first time while I was out to dinner. Then from then on every time I ate anything. It lasted for over a year or two and I just lived with it. It just became something that I knew would happen after I ate. Then my sister-in-law told me to try Ginger Root. She had similar problems but not related to gallbladder removal. I tried it and its amazing how it works. It actually started working within a day or so. I buy Spring Valley brand from Walmart and cannot live without it. I take one a day and don't have that problem anymore. It's hard to believe I had to live that way for so long. If you have any questions feel free to ask and let me know how it works for you! Its my miracle vitamin.
GypsyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #3  

Oh..did it cause you to gain weight after you had it removed? I didnt understand how I could run to the bathroom every time I ate yet still gain like 50 pounds. It made me wonder how I could even lose weight if that caused me to gain. A good amount of weight was in the belly area which I had never had that amount. I've never been super thin but I was like where is this coming from?? Now 45 pounds later I know its possible...thank god.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #4  

very similar to my story!!!
i also developed pancreatitis after removal!
simple inpatient surgery my bum!
my son was 6 weeks old when it happened.
i was stuck in the hospital for 10 days.
dreadful experience, no food just an iv with some mountain dew looking liquid for nurishment and had to get a pik iv.
finally got the fever to break and 2 pints of blood, then got to go back home with my baby the day before mothers day.

it baffles me too that i gained weight.
food, esspecially fatty stuff would go straight through me. (McDonald's is a big nono!)
Old 12-09-2010, 04:34 PM   #5  

i was at roughly 235 or so when they removed it in 2007.
got to 279 (276 now)
Old 12-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #6  
Naturally Curvy

S/C/G: 264/259.9/164

Height: 5'6"

I had mine taken out in January and gained about forty pounds over the course of... maybe six months? No fun at all.

Erm, wouldn't Metamucil make things worse because that stuff is usually used by people trying to 'loosen' things up rather than 'firm' things up?

Definitely try ginger root, but perhaps also try a food diary. Note what you're eating and you might find that particular things are triggering the runs rather than just eating in general. If that doesn't work, perhaps going off one or more of the supplements might be the answer.
JMSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

The food diary is going to be your life saver. Additionally, removing the gall bladder, unfortunately, means that you have to eat low-fat from now on. The gall bladder actually has a function, to create bile that helps in your digestion, specifically of fats. Without the gall bladder to make this bile in the right amounts/portions, your body can't give the right amounts for digestion and it results in the diarrhea that you're getting.

They wanted to take my gall bladder out last year but I told them no. I didn't have a gall bladder attack, but I did develop pancreatitis from something else.

I did a lot of research before and after and my reasons for not taking my gallbladder out were essentially because the diet I had to have before surgery was essentially the same AFTER surgery, so what was the point of taking it out? I changed my diet radically and it's low fat with saturated fats but okay with the "healthy" fats.

I also discovered that my BCP was affecting my gall bladder/bile production and once I got off it, my digestion improved significantly and I haven't developed pancreatitis again or had any problems with my gall bladder. I'm never getting on BCP again because of all the years I was on it and my gall bladder problems that came from it. I just wish I had known sooner what was going on and that I had gotten off them earlier.

I hope you find a solution!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:07 PM   #8  

yeah, i didn't have a choice.
i was rushed to the er with the pain. they gave me meds and sent me home with an appt for a surgery consult.
i didn't make it the night, started violently throwing up everything . after a few hours i started hurting again, it was very severe.

i do wish i would have been warned about this kind of thing early but i was only 22 when it happened.

ill have to try low fat.
i do try to avoid most fatty things.
but its hard sometimes.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:14 AM   #9  
Day 1 back on plan...

S/C/G: 244/tickers/175

I didn't have a choice either... I went to the ER in so much pain I couldn't even talk. Was in the hospital for a week .. a stone traveled out and was stuck. I couldn't eat or drink anything..Was on an IV for 5 days until the stone moved through my system. It was also right after giving birth that all this happened...However since the removal my sister mother and grandmother all had to have theirs removed also.. It's been 15 yrs for me and I still have stomach issues.. It's not always fatty food either sometimes anything can cause a run to the bathroom.. I've found probiotics help a lot..buy the pill form though because the yogurt doesn't have enough of the acidophilus. I will also give ginger root a try... My only complaint with the probiotics is I get heartburn if I don't eat enough or taking it with the wrong acidy type foods.
Losing4another is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:15 AM   #10  

My story is so similar to both of yours too. Pancreatitis happened before gallbladder removal though. I was only 21 when it happened but I didn't have a choice, it was 100% necessary for me. Just weeks after giving birth I started having these severe attacks that was the worse pain ever [even worse than unplanned natural childbirth]. It went on for months and now thinking back I was stupid to not get it checked until my 6 week check up. My midwife explained that it was common to have your gallbladder removed after pregnancy and that the surgery procedure was simple. I still let it go for a few more months and never had the gallbladder ultrasound she suggested they do for me. Well, one night the worst gallbladder attack came on and didn't stop like it had before. Just when I thought it was the worse pain ever it got much worse. I was rushed to the hospital and I laid hours in pain screaming [I can take pain very well but this was deadly pain] until they discovered what was wrong with me. A gallstone had gotten stuck in my bile duct and had caused Pancreatitis. Stomach acids were back tracking up into my body digesting my insides. My enzymes were 65,000 when they should have been 200. My breathing was that of someone on their last stage of life. They gave me Morphine which didn't even work a bit. I was hospitalized for a week and on only IV's; No food, No water. My body was too ill to make it through surgery so I couldn't have my gallbladder removed yet. So instead while I was in there they scoped my stomach and made a small cut so that I had no more gallstones get stuck. The cut would heal itself in 2 weeks but I couldn't have surgery for a month and a half or until my insides fully healed. Even if I had done research I had no choice. I'd rather run to the bathroom, be heavy for life, or live my life on a diet then ever go through that and risk death again. The important thing is that Im alive for my son. I know he will love me thin or heavy.

Last edited by GypsyQueen; 12-11-2010 at 03:19 AM.