Old 12-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #1  
Reformed Chef

S/C/G: 275.5/ticker/?

Height: 5'6"

Default Eggnog

Its that time of year again. Eggnog time. I love eggnog. I love it baaaaad. Culvers makes the best egg nog shake. Oh heck I loved me some of that when I was pregnant.

On the way to the grocery store I passed Culvers and kept going. But while at the store I saw Biggelow Eggnoggin' tea. I guess it has been around seasonally but Ive never seen it. It is yummy! I wouldn't say it is the same of course but it is tea with a hint of eggnog smell and flavor. It was great with a dash of milk and some purevia (stevia sweetner).

Eggnog will be my one serious challenge this holiday season.
AmandaMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #2  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

I love eggnog too! But it is SO high in calories and everything else.

I found this recipe somewhere (maybe this site, maybe not - I don't remember). It has no high fructose corn syrup and is made with soy milk.

I haven't tried it yet, though I intend to. If anyone HAS tried it, how was it? Worth it? Or not?

Eggnog with soy milk

Ingredients:
5 cups vanilla soy milk
1 small (4-serving) package vanilla Jell-O Sugar Free Fat Free Instant Pudding mix
6 no-calorie sweetener packets (like Splenda)
1 tsp. rum extract or imitation rum extract
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg

Directions:
In a blender, combine all ingredients and blend on high until mixed thoroughly. Refrigerate for a few hours to allow it to thicken. Makes five 1-cup servings!

HG Alternative! For some "over 21" eggnog, add 5 ounces of rum to the recipe. With 153 calories and a POINTS® value of 3* per serving, that's WAY better than an ordinary eggnog cocktail!

Serving Size: 1 cup (1/5th of recipe)
Calories: 88
Fat: 2g
Sodium: 350mg
Carbs: 11g
Fiber: 0g
Sugars: 5g
Protein: 6g

POINTS® value 2

Last edited by LiannaKole; 12-02-2010 at 10:35 PM.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:59 PM   #3  

Eggnog is going to be a challenge for us. Eliot loves it and would likely be satisfied with non-alcoholic eggnog, where (if calories are too big of a concern) I'd rather skip the sweet stuff and just drink the rum...

I have been starting to look around for a low(er) calorie eggnog that doesn't taste like enthusiastic sugar water or chalk. I'd even be willing to skip the alcohol (maybe figure out something with rum extract, like mentioned above?) if the nogginess is tasty enough.

Will report back if we find anything noteworthy.
ArcticFrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/152.2/130

Height: 5’7"

OMG!!!!! I LOVE EGGNOG!!!!!!

you HAVE to try Silk’s Nog http://www.silksoymilk.com/products/silk-seasonal/nog

it’s awesome!
shasha12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:59 PM   #5  
Now Loading Healthy ME

S/C/G: 265/262/187

Height: 5'7"

I just recently learned how high in calories eggnog is...LiannaKole I want to try that recipe, even though I am not a huge eggnog drinker, I like to have a cup or two during the season and I love eggnog drinks from Starbucks and eggnog milkshakes...yea, now I want some eggnog.
Fit4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:02 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I found some organic egg nog that's 140 calorie for 1/2 cup. I can barely drink that much since it's so rich, so I just have a little for dessert. I'd rather have a small amount of the real thing than a big glass with fake stuff.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:16 AM   #7  
slim endgame

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

I know...I love egg nog!! Christmas is official when I drink so much of it I feel strangled. That was last year before I changed my diet and exercise plan. I saw egg nog in the store along with my all time favorite Little Debbie's cherry cordials. I welled up right there in the store. I was sad. But I like losing weight better so I think I am going to be OK.
goal4agirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:37 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/152.2/130

Height: 5’7"

seriously! try Silk’s Nog! it’s soy eggnog and tastes reeeeeeeaaaally similarly, and it’s only 90cals for 1/2cup
shasha12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:07 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/ticker/115

Height: 4'10"

listening to you guys makes me glad that I never developed a taste for eggnog!
TornadoSiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #10  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

I second the Silk Nog - it's really yummy and I like it better than eggnog. It isn't so rich so you don't feel like you are about to vomit after drinking an entire glass. lol. Other than that, it's about the same but much less fat and calories!!!
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #11  

For the record, Rice Dream's Rice Nog has the mouthfeel of a watery Pepto-Bismol...like Horchata (yum...haven't posted enough to link yet, but if you're curious, go look it up!) mixed with paint.

Taste-wise...bleh. Don't do it. Now I know what it was on sale *smiles*

Will have to look into the Silk Nog...
Old 12-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #12  
(slim) shady

S/C/G: 193/188/155

Height: 5'2"

Sasha - I am DEF trying that Silk Nog! AWESOME! Nice treat in the evening, a little dessert! Thanks!
steinanwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #13  

Location: On Planet Earth...I'm waiting for the Oxygen levels to go up on the other planet's before I move

S/C/G: 250/125/120

Height: 5'3"

My weakness isn't eggnog but pumpkin latta's. I do indulge in an eggnog and rum on Christmas and New Year's though...for something I have only twice a year I don't mind the extra calories
WinterJinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:46 PM   #14  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticFrogs View Post
For the record, Rice Dream's Rice Nog has the mouthfeel of a watery Pepto-Bismol...like Horchata (yum...haven't posted enough to link yet, but if you're curious, go look it up!) mixed with paint.

Taste-wise...bleh. Don't do it. Now I know what it was on sale *smiles*

Will have to look into the Silk Nog...
Ewww...I love Horachata (which is a watery rice milk), but I find rice dream milk to be too watery and gross. We drink soymilk or vanilla almond milk in our house though. Both very yummy.
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:48 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildflower View Post
I love Horachata
Do I even want to know the amount of calories? Can't link it, but a quick search says 90-130 calories/cup...the mere thought of Horchata instantly takes my mind to this amazing little holeinthewall in Oregon, with huge buckets (nay, vats!) of horchata and other delights, pop made with REAL SUGAR (oh my!)...burritos the size of your forearm, tortas and, well...it was a hidden away oasis of spicy, melty cheeses.

*Ahem*

For the holidays, we're getting in a Christian Brother's Brandy Eggnog type thing...I'll have to check the calories on THAT...