South Beach Diet - Day 1-Major Sugar addiction

View Full Version : Day 1-Major Sugar addiction

risabeth
11-29-2010, 12:15 PM
I just finished chemotherapy last Monday...stage 2 breast cancer. Between the steriods and the adrio/cytoxan (chemo) I have developed a HUGE sugar addiction and a whopping 30+ pounds to go with that!! I am weak, but SUPER driven to get the weight off and zap the cravings. I plan to stay on phase 1 for at least 2 weeks, but may venture to a third week if I don't feel the cravings are 100% gone. I may switch to Weight Watchers after that. I have been successful in the past with both programs.
I am sure that I will be posting questions from time to time. :cloud9:

Mmckellen
11-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Welcome and what a great time to make a fresh new start! Are you still taking the steroids? I am sure they alone account for some of the weight. It seems like you are familiar with South Beach but I just wanted to say welcome!

risabeth
11-29-2010, 12:28 PM
I am done with the steriods. I am sure they account for some of the weight. I am just not sure how much. I have heard that the weight loss after chemo has been known to be slow. We'll see. Thanks for the welcome.

TallandThin
11-29-2010, 12:49 PM
:welcome: and congrats on finishing chemo. Hope to see you around a lot and wish you smooth sailing during your phase one.

EmmaD
11-29-2010, 01:01 PM
Welcome! Wow, you have been through a lot recently. Luckily South Beach is such a healthy eating plan (that's why I chose it), so you will be doing great things for your body. Especially if you really focus on the minimum of 4.5 cups of veggies/day.

I have often combined South Beach Diet with calorie counting and there is at least one person on this board who combines it with Weight Watchers, so that is totally doable. I find that the SBD principles keep me making good choices, when I could justify bad ones by calorie count alone.

About the sugar cravings, the first time I did Phase 1, I think I abused the artificial sweeteners, but once I got to Phase 2, I get my fix from clementines, apples, sweet potatoes, etc. I do have dark chocolate almost daily but I try to find the one with the least grams of sugar and I only eat one piece (50-100 calories).

Best of luck to you and anytime you have a question, ask here. There are some real experts here!

Lexxiss
11-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Welcome! Congrats on finishing your chemo. I'll bet it will feel good to start to get back to a healthy routine. With my family history with breast cancer I have been advised to follow a healthy food plan and to especially stay away from sugar. Once I got through the initial P1 it has been so much easier.

Best wishes! Stop by often!

zeffryn
11-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Congrats on your finishing chemo!

Up until about two weeks ago, I combined Weight Watchers and SB. I used points to control my portions and SB principles to control what food I ate. It worked very well! I just recently switched to calorie counting instead of WW, though, which is basically the same thing.

Heidi58
11-29-2010, 06:38 PM
Welcome risabeth, it's great to meet you!
I look forward to getting to reading about your successes. :)

BellaLucia
11-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Welcome Risabeth!

risabeth
11-29-2010, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the well wishes. EmmaD I am being careful about the sweetners. I know they make me feel like I am eating the real thing....tricks your brain/body into wanting more.

WaistingTime
11-29-2010, 11:32 PM
Welcome:)

Natasha1534
11-30-2010, 06:07 AM
Welcome back to the beach...and thank God for making it through chemo, right??? ;) Can't wait to hear about your progress...sounds like you're already familiar w/ SB and are ready to go. ;)

mom4yehoshua
12-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Congrats on finishing and surviving chemo. That must have been dreadfully difficult. :hug: Glad to see your here and ready to start anew. Lots of prayers and I hope you continue to get healthier everyday. :D
Leslie