Weight Loss Support - 25lbs lost seems insignificant when I need to lose 100+

moon safari
11-20-2010, 08:49 PM
I'm having trouble recognizing that I've made progress. I have lost a bit over 25lbs but I still feel like it's a drop in a bucket. I'm halfway to my first mini goal of 50lbs but I still can't stop thinking about the monumental task ahead of me of getting to a "normal" weight. I know if I just keep my head down and keep going I WILL get there but I'm afraid that I won't have any motivation if I can't feel proud of myself for what is, actually, a pretty awesome achievement.

Does anyone else feel this way? How have you overcome it? How do you keep yourself in perspective?

ksmommy
11-20-2010, 08:57 PM
oh girl. I had the same feelings. I've lost 15 (as of last sunday) and I have 85 to go. Its very disheartening, but look at it this way, that's 25 down from where you were. As someone told me when I posted, think about how large 25 pounds is, and realize YOU LOST IT. And you're still going, and several months from now, that number will continue to grow. Its a big deal, you made a choice to change and lose weight. Don't discount that. You're awesome. We're all awesome! Cheer up lady!

ncuneo
11-20-2010, 09:06 PM
All I can say, is just stick with it and it will happen. You must must get over that feeling because it can weight you down, trust me I've been there:) I felt it often, even up until the end when I had 25 lbs to lose or so, it STILL felt like a long way to go because at the end it took a month or more just lose 10 lbs. You are doing an incredible job and when it's all over you won't even remember that it took x amount of months to lose the weight or years for that matter, all you'll care is that you achieved your goal.

TheBunneh
11-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Find something that weighs 25 pounds and pick it up. That'll put into perspective how much extra weight you've taken off of your body! I was shocked at how heavy 50 pounds was when I tried to move it.

You've done a great job! Even the fact that you're doing this, regardless of progress, is something to be proud of! Just stick with it. The days are going to pass by whether or not you're losing. So you might as well keep going. :hug:

TornadoSiren
11-20-2010, 10:01 PM
This is where the whole "don't think of it as dieting. Think of it as a lifestyle change" thing comes into play. Yes, you are currently making your changes with the goal being to see the weight go down. But it might help to think of the weight loss as simply a side effect of healthier living. Don't tell people you are deiting, tell them you are living healthier. If one day, or one week, the weight does not drop, or it seems that it is going much slower than you want it to, just remember you are still living healthier, and that is the real goal! Fake it till ya make it!

spixiet
11-20-2010, 10:18 PM
I feel exactly like you do! People are starting to notice my weight loss a little, and instead of just being happy with what I've lost, I feel ashamed that I have so much more to lose :(

I love TheBunneh's suggestion. I just piled 25 pounds of books on my scale, and, I gotta say, I'm now feeling much more successful :D

islandchick1
11-20-2010, 10:31 PM
:hug:
I started out at 270. I didn't make a big deal about being on a diet, because to me it's not. I decided to change forever the way I ate. So I began my journey. My best friend knew and was/is very supportive ( I call her #2 because she is as skinny as a #2 pencil lol). I got very discouraged at the 25 lbs ish mark. I KNEW I was losing, but also knew I had so much more to lose (still do). One thing, do you measure yourself as well as weigh? THAT was a big deal for meal. I was discourage at the scales and posted so on this forum. Some real knowledgeable chicks here told me to stop using the scales as my victory. The tape measure tells the REAL story. When you see those inches melting away it is SO reassuring. I have now lost 50 lbs. Still have ALOT more to go. So many people are noticing now and that is nice too. Have you ever tried to pick up a 25 lb bag of ANYTHING? It's heavy. But that's what you lost and you should be VERY PROUD of that :) Don't give up. Come here when you feel discouraged and disheartened :) It is a journey. Gaining is SO much easier than losing (we all know that) but losing IS worth the effort.Best wishes to you dear, you're not alone :)

Sunday
11-20-2010, 10:38 PM
I have felt overwhelmed at times but what really helped me was making my plan as easy and suited to me as possible, and the biggie: getting a life. Rather than making WL the main focus of my life, just doing what I said I would do and enjoying other interests as well. It's really easy to obsess, but you know what they say about a watched pot, right?

Something I read here put things in perspective, too. We have three choices: lose, maintain, or gain. I know which one appeals to me most!

I am finding a big part of this process is a waiting game, but we're losing all of these pounds for the last time. :)

I hope you're proud of your loss, you've done a great job!

ebb&flow
11-20-2010, 11:15 PM
I get overwhelmed too. Sometimes I try on clothes that used to fit or be tight, but now are loose to compare before and "only" 25 pounds. Then I see it's not "only". I also convert it into something I can see visually. 25 pounds. That's 100 sticks of butter. You lost 100 sticks of butter. visualize that on your kitchen table and imagine how much smaller that makes you. Sure you have more to lose, but look how much you've already accomplished. If all else fails and I'm still bummed I remind myself that I didn't gain this much weight suddenly and overnight. I gained it pound by pound and inch by inch. So, I remind myself I'll lose it pound by pound and inch by inch. Each individual pound brings me one step closer to my goal. Don't even think of the larger number.

ebb&flow
11-20-2010, 11:18 PM
Oh! and I also had the experience of getting frustrated and giving up because I wasn't losing fast enough and I got discouraged. I gained all of it back.... then I had to lose it again. I think if I hadn't gained it back I would totally be done by now!! Instead I lost the same pounds twice! I won't do that again!

Nola Celeste
11-20-2010, 11:25 PM
TheBunneh's suggestion is one that never fails. Picking up a 10-pound bag of onions, a 25-pound bag of pet food, a 50-pound bag of garden soil will really put weight loss into perspective. Picking up a heavy burden makes you glad to set it down; you've managed to set down one of yours, a goal that many of us still have in our futures. You've already accomplished it, though, and deserve to take pride in it! :)

Another thing that might help is to try on some new (or "new") clothes. If you have things in your closet that you haven't been able to wear or that you wished had fit better, try them on--they may be just right now. If you don't have smaller clothes lying around, go shopping even if you aren't buying. You'll get in touch with your current size, see what styles work for you, and get a major lift from being able to wear things successfully that you hadn't been able to manage before.

This is my one-month mark and I've only lost just under 12 pounds, so I definitely empathize with you about the road ahead looking long. Sometimes it's frustrating. Sometimes I'm downright angry with myself for not starting sooner. But all we can do is look back on past landmarks and victories and know that there are bigger victories ahead.

moon safari
11-21-2010, 12:19 AM
I am definitely going to try and find something that weighs 25lbs and put it in a prominent place. I'm a very visual and tactile person and maybe part of my problem is that I can't see it or feel it so it's not real to me.

I never even thought of that idea or some of the others that were suggested, thanks you guys! I try not to get bogged down with negative thoughts. It really does help to know that other people feel this way, too and have dealt with it positively.

I wonder if it would help to break my goals down even further? I have, as of right now, split it into 3 50lb goals but I realize that may be too broad. Do you guys prefer to have small goals of 5 or 10lbs or is a larger goal working?

TheBunneh
11-21-2010, 12:23 AM
I take the whole thing 10 pounds at a time. Each new "decade" is like a notch down a pole, I still have to get to the bottom but it's a victory when I get a step closer. =)

popspry
11-21-2010, 12:28 AM
I prefer smaller goals, because for me I can't wrap my brain around how much I have to lose, it's too overwhelming for me.

islandchick1
11-21-2010, 12:32 AM
I do 10lbs goals. At the beginning of each month I set new goals. MAking the goals smaller really makes it seem like you are accomplishing something (which by the way, YOU ARE!)

Linsy
11-21-2010, 12:57 AM
I know exactly how you feel! I have 100+ more pounds to lose and I've lost 30 so far. I lost it REALLY quickly and now I'm stalling/losing very slowly. I want the weight loss to speed up but I know if I stick with it, it'll be gone eventually whether the fat disappears overnight (I want this one to happen) or it takes 20 years. Just think about how much this will change your life in the long run--it will make you happier, more confident, healthier, and you'll KNOW that you worked hard to get there. Good luck!

carter
11-21-2010, 01:08 AM
I wonder if it would help to break my goals down even further? I have, as of right now, split it into 3 50lb goals but I realize that may be too broad. Do you guys prefer to have small goals of 5 or 10lbs or is a larger goal working?

I don't have numeric goals at all, in part because of the very issues you are struggling with.

I try not to think about the numbers - I keep track of them, but I don't gauge my success by them. I don't even have a goal weight in mind - like Justice Stewart, I'll know it when I see it.

Instead, my goal is to make the best choice I can make every time I am faced with a choice. That means choosing to pass up the cookies that are available at work. Choosing to eat an apple instead of hitting the vending machine. Choosing to spend saturday afternoon planning, shopping, and cooking for the week instead of doing something else and taking each meal as it comes. Choosing to pass on seconds when I've already eaten my calorie allotment for a meal. And so on.

That's my goal - really, that's it. Laser-like focus on the moment, on hitting that goal 20 times a day with 20 little (or big) choices. The rest, the numbers and the weight loss, flow from that. I don't have to think about how daunting the job is or how long it's going to take me to get there. I just have to think about the choice that's in front of me right now. And that, I know I can manage.

RoseRodent
11-21-2010, 03:04 AM
I can't remember which member's words of wisdom these are, but I shall borrow them for now and hopefully someone can credit them to the original poster: Remember that time will pass anyway. You've made a permamnet lifestyle change, right? So if it takes 12 months or 18 months or whatever to reach that goal in many ways it doesn't really matter, because in 12 months you can be lighter, the same or heavier, which one do you want to pick?

I do try to break my weight loss goals down more, you still have some very big numbers to aim at even as mini-goals. A mini-goal ticker can be very motivating as you start to see it getting near to the end, and it moves a lot further with each pound instead of being a never-ending line that creeps by. I see yours is a very short one, maybe look for a longer style so that each pound seems to make more progress across the page? Depends if that's something that appeals to you, if you are very visual that might help, and I also like a big graph with a downward line. Make each lb cross several squares so that you can record 1/2lb losses easily and also so that the line looks really dramatic! LOL

Try to aim for not just numbers on the scale but some other NSVs (non-scale victories) that you can really quantify. It helps if they are meaningful to you rather than something arbitrary. Going for something like every 10lbs is a nice round number, but it may be hard to visualise and connect to your progress, but something more concrete like "I'd like to go to my cousin's wedding in a size x dress" is personal to you. I broke mine down into different BMI progress points, and that is particularly rewarding because you can see health progress - I am no longer morbidly obese, I am no longer obese at all, my blood pressure has gone down this much, I'm off my diabetes tablets (not all will apply to everyone, just some ideas).

CourtneyDaisey
11-21-2010, 08:16 AM
I totally know how you feel! When I look at the overwhelming amount of weight I have to lose it can really freak me out. What I have done is created a Word file on my computer with a "Weight Loss Mini Goals" list that I update every time I reach a mini goal. I've never posted this list online, not even on my blog. but I will post it here for you so you can see my thought process and how it's really helped me so far to stay on track. I concentrate on reaching one mini goal at a time. Then I go back and post the date when that mini goal has been achieved.

Say goodbye to the 260’s – 8/29/2010
Fit into size 18 jeans again – 9/26/2010
Say goodbye to the 250’s – 9/26/2010
Buy an outfit from the normal size racks – 10/1/2010
Say goodbye to the 240’s – 11/7/2010
Lose 25 pounds – 11/7/2010
Lose 10% of my starting weight – 11/7/2010
Have less than 100 pounds left to lose –
BMI moving from morbidly obese to obese (232 pounds) –
Fit into my prom dress again –
Say goodbye to the 230’s –
Lose 50 pounds –
Say goodbye to the 220’s –
Say goodbye to the 210’s –
Hello One-derland! –
Lose half of the weight I want to lose –
Lose 75 pounds –
Say goodbye to the 190’s –
Say goodbye to the 180’s –
BMI moving from obese to overweight (174 pounds) –
Say goodbye to the 170’s –
Lose 100 pounds –
Say goodbye to the 160’s –
Say goodbye to the 150’s –
BMI moving from overweight to normal (145 pounds) –
Say goodbye to the 140’s –
Fit into size 8 jeans –
Not cringe when I look in the mirror –
Reach my goal weight –
Redo the Disney photos after weight loss –

When I get to the end of this and see dates beside all of these little mini goals, that's going to be a REALLY good feeling! :)

ubergirl
11-21-2010, 08:56 AM
First, losing 25 lbs is an amazing achievement, so give yourself a pat on the back! Before losing the weight this time, I don't think I ever got all the way to a twenty-five pound loss. I used to give up after about 10-15 lbs.

You've received a lot of really good advice here, but I just want to add one thing.

You DO NOT need to lose all of the 100lbs to look and feel 100% better. If you stick with it long enough to lose 50 lbs, you will be AMAZED at what will start to come your way: compliments, increased self-esteem, smaller sizes, better fitness... and then, it just gets easier and easier to keep going because with each pound you lose, things just get better and better.

That was is so hard about having a fairly high start weight, like I did. The first twenty-five to thirty pounds are really hard-- because it feels like you work so hard and yet the weight you lose is just a drop in the bucket.

But believe me, pretty soon, that will start to change, and it will change long before you hit your goal.

I've been at this for eighteen months, and I still haven't hit goal, BUT, my life has changed completely for the better because of my weight loss and that is without reaching goal.

Keep at it. You have no idea how many wonderful things are in store for you.

And reward yourself TODAY for the amazing achievement of losing 25 lbs. You've done something that most people will never do.

dragonwoman64
11-21-2010, 10:16 AM
Instead, my goal is to make the best choice I can make every time I am faced with a choice. That means choosing to pass up the cookies that are available at work. Choosing to eat an apple instead of hitting the vending machine. Choosing to spend saturday afternoon planning, shopping, and cooking for the week instead of doing something else and taking each meal as it comes. Choosing to pass on seconds when I've already eaten my calorie allotment for a meal. And so on.

wow, I thought this was terrific advice (for me too! and I've been doing this a while)

OP, you might want to try keeping track with a journal, with pics (so much easier with digital cameras). looking back at my beginning, I can see how far I've come, what steps I've taken, how different I look, and how much healthier I feel. I still have some old clothes that are way big on me now. Keep a shirt or pants from your biggest size and pull it out from time to time.

I bet if you thought about it, you could think of ways you feel physically different and better after losing that 25lbs. I'm sure that's true mentally too.

I feel a huge difference with the amount I've lost, and I still have a ways to go. Good luck with everything! and congrats on the 25!

WildThings
11-21-2010, 11:54 AM
First, congrats on your 25lb. While you may be feeling like 25lbs is insignificant in the grand scheme of weight loss, your heart, muscles, joints, etc., definately don't think it's insignificant.

Ciao
11-21-2010, 12:08 PM
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/JeMappelleSierra/Photography/divider-2.jpg
I know how you feel. Just
take it 5lbs at a time! :)
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/JeMappelleSierra/Photography/divider-2.jpg

nikkster
11-21-2010, 06:33 PM
I get the same feelings and have to talk to myself to not feel frustrated or overwhelmed. It's gonna take some time and we have to start somewhere. We'll get there!

kellost
11-21-2010, 06:51 PM
It's not insignificant! In fact, it's very significant! Congrats and keep up the good work!

LindseyLou
11-21-2010, 07:09 PM
First of all, congratulations!!! :D I would suggest finding something that weighs 25 pounds, and well..pick it up! Then you'll see how big of a deal 25 pounds is!
I just passed the 15 pound mark this weekend...I was carrying our turkey out from the grocery store to the car, and I told my husband, "dang, this turkey is heavy." It's only 12 pounds, but then I went well shoot - I've lost MORE than this heavy ol' turkey. It helped put things in perspective for me.
That's an extra 25 pounds of weight your body isn't carrying around! That's a huge accomplishment! Stick with it! :)

moon safari
11-22-2010, 02:30 AM
I think maybe I'll cut it down to 25lb goals for now and also maybe only weighing myself once a week.

It could be that it's taken me sooooo freaking long to lose this first 25 (I lost it in June but then ran myself off the rails and am losing 15 of it for the second time now) that maybe there's some shame and regret tied into that. Subconsciously maybe I'm thinking don't congratulate yourself too much because you've messed it up once before.

In any case, it's gone now and as long as I keep focusing on TODAY and not 125lbs from today I can stay positive.

Rosinante
11-22-2010, 04:24 AM
Congratulations on the 25!!!!!

I do like CournteyDaisy, and have a list of mini-goals posted on here somewhere, which I update as and when (half a pound to go to the next update).
Also
I'm doing the Christmas Jiggle challenge, and decided early on that instead of listing weekly weightlosses, I'd only log the Start Weight and the Weight This Week. This has been a huge boost, because even last week when I'd lost very, Very little, when I put the current weight next to the start weight, I was bowled over by how much I'd achieved.
Also
I have 4 dogs so buy their food by the sack. 15kg hang on until I do the maths. 33lbs. I can only just drag it out of the boot of the car, and yet I've lost one and a half of them since May this year, two and a quarter of them since my highest weight.
Also
I Do consider that I'm On A Diet. It's what works for me. It means I DON'T have to make good choices on a choice-for-choice basis, I just stick rigidly to my rules. No disrespect whatsoever to people who do it differently but I need Laws to help me concentrate!
Also
I reward myself for amounts lost. Not by dates, that's too pressurized. I'm currently building a Trollbead bracelet, with a new bead for each stone (14lbs) lost.
Also
I find it it easiest to just put blinkers (blinders) on, and plod. I celebrate what I have lost but don't look too far ahead to how much still to go. Which is
9lbs to first interim goal,
29lbs to second interim goal (1lb lighter than last time),
48lbs to probable final goal.
See, that just depresses me, because to get to prob. final goal, I've got to do what I've done this year All Over Again.

Head down, head down, keep plodding!

:hug:

jigglefree
11-22-2010, 10:08 AM
Well look at the bright side you have 25 less to loose. I had a few challenges thinking like that but I have a picture of me from last year and realized that I have come a long way. So though 25 may seem small in the big picture, there is someone that has been trying for years to loose that same 25.

rachael
11-22-2010, 10:22 AM
I know it's been said, but it really is 25 fewer pounds that you have to lose. The time is going to pass either way. When I started school, they spoke at orientation about people saying they will be too old by the time they graduate. The dean said that you're going to be ___years old at some point anyway, do you want to be there with a degree or not? I always think this applies to weight loss as well, and really anything that people say takes too long. The time will pass and you can either have squandered it or used it. 25 pounds is phenomenal and you should be proud of that.

cincimini
11-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Congrats on your 25 lbs!!! :carrot:

I'm very close to that milestone myself (2 lbs left!) and still have nearly 100 lbs left to lose, so - I hear ya! However, I think the key is to give yourself those small victories along the way. Try not to focus on just the weight and if you do, go 'short term' with your goals.
Here are a few things I get excited about:
- lbs losses in small increments (5lbs, 10lbs, getting to the next "decade", 2lbs in a week, etc.)
- dropping a clothing size or finding that shirts/pants fit more loosely
- work-out mini goals (e.g. 5k in less than X minutes)
- dropping that BMI (e.g. I get excited about every 0.1 drop :lol:)

Also, these might work for you:
- Totally love the "your lost weight in objects" idea - will do it myself later!
- I have a measuring tape that I shortened to 120 cm - one cm for each pound I have to lose. Whenever a lb is gone for good, I cut off the last cm - it feels great!
- Graph your weight loss in Excel. I did this last week and I got so excited to see the steady downward trend, even if there were some bumps in the road :lol:.
- Get a jar and put in a marble for each lb you've lost. You can mark "mile stones" on the jar and reward yourself when you reach them

Anyway, I know you will reach your goal and you deserve to feel good about it on the way there as well. Keep fighting on! :hug:

carter
11-22-2010, 12:14 PM
I Do consider that I'm On A Diet. It's what works for me. It means I DON'T have to make good choices on a choice-for-choice basis, I just stick rigidly to my rules. No disrespect whatsoever to people who do it differently but I need Laws to help me concentrate!

I don't take any disrespect, what works for me and my own quirks isn't necessarily going to work for everyone.

But I don't think these two approaches are mutually exclusive. After all, even for someone who focuses on each choice when it happens, rules are needed to guide that decisionmaking process. The choices aren't made willy-nilly, they are made according to a specific set of rules and principles. That's what makes it a plan. And the flip side of that is that having rules and laws doesn't help you unless you abide by them - and I'm not sure how you would do that other than by making a series of good choices according to them! Whether you think about it in those terms or not. ;)

My point about taking it choice-by-choice was not that it allows me to avoid big-picture thinking - it does not. Rather, it was emphasizing that *for me* numerical goals are really beside the point. I can't just will the numbers to go down; I am trying to control my behavior. So setting a goal of "My goal is to lose X pounds by Y date" isn't helpful at all - it provides no framework for decisionmaking and no guidelines for changing my behavior.

If instead, I have a goal that directly translates into behavior - "my goal is to DO certain things a certain way" - the numbers follow from that on their own.

caryesings
11-22-2010, 01:18 PM
Here's the cool thing now that you've lost 25 lbs, and that is the math of adding the additional losses to it. I'll try to explain:

When I first started losing, my rate of @4-6 lbs per month seemed pretty "drop in the bucket". But somehow after the 25 lbs were off, adding 4-6 lbs each month was coming up to a "serious" number. I hadn't ever lost more than 30 lbs in my life so suddenly being able to say "31 lbs down, 35 lbs down" seemed like very big deal numbers. Even now when I only drop 2-3 lbs a month, when I tack on that number to 100 already gone, it seems pretty cool, rather than "only" 2-3 lbs.

lazylioness
11-22-2010, 02:02 PM
Find something that weighs 25 pounds and pick it up. That'll put into perspective how much extra weight you've taken off of your body! I was shocked at how heavy 50 pounds was when I tried to move it.

You've done a great job! Even the fact that you're doing this, regardless of progress, is something to be proud of! Just stick with it. The days are going to pass by whether or not you're losing. So you might as well keep going. :hug:

Wow! Great Idea!

When I think of it like that, like I have lost 5 bags of sugar, it just seems like a LOT more.

I am struggling too,three months into my new lifestyle, trying not to get into my head too much today. One minute at a time I guess.

I am going to go home after work and do this. Get some perspective. :carrot:

starbrite
11-22-2010, 02:27 PM
Congrats on your 25 lbs!!! :carrot:

I'm very close to that milestone myself (2 lbs left!) and still have nearly 100 lbs left to lose, so - I hear ya! However, I think the key is to give yourself those small victories along the way. Try not to focus on just the weight and if you do, go 'short term' with your goals.
Here are a few things I get excited about:
- lbs losses in small increments (5lbs, 10lbs, getting to the next "decade", 2lbs in a week, etc.)
- dropping a clothing size or finding that shirts/pants fit more loosely
- work-out mini goals (e.g. 5k in less than X minutes)
- dropping that BMI (e.g. I get excited about every 0.1 drop :lol:)

Also, these might work for you:
- Totally love the "your lost weight in objects" idea - will do it myself later!
- I have a measuring tape that I shortened to 120 cm - one cm for each pound I have to lose. Whenever a lb is gone for good, I cut off the last cm - it feels great!
- Graph your weight loss in Excel. I did this last week and I got so excited to see the steady downward trend, even if there were some bumps in the road :lol:.
- Get a jar and put in a marble for each lb you've lost. You can mark "mile stones" on the jar and reward yourself when you reach them

Anyway, I know you will reach your goal and you deserve to feel good about it on the way there as well. Keep fighting on! :hug:

All of the above - absolutely second the mini-goals it has really helped me. I have lost 89lbs and 56 to go. We can do this !!

readytobeme2010
11-22-2010, 03:04 PM
ALOT of great advice here. Thank you for posting this. We have ALL been there. Look at me, starting ALL OVER....ugh..but I know how you feel. We are about the same size/height....

25lbs is 25 lbs and it's ALOT of work to loose that MUCH weight it's ALOT no matter what....

Keep your chin up...and Thanks again for posting this...Very encouraging just to know were not alone:hug::hug::hug::hug:

Aislin
11-22-2010, 03:49 PM
First go to the grocery store. Then....

Go hold a 25lb turkey...feel how heavy that is. THAT is what you lost. Tell me that is insignificant to your joints. Then go over to the butter...stack (yes I know people will look at you funny lol) 25 of those 1lb rectangles....that is how much fat is off your body. Your heart thinks that is very significant.

I find when I have an actual visual of what I have skimmed off my body, makes it easier to carry on to melt the rest off me.

Congratulations on getting rid ( I don't say lose because that infers I want to find it again) of 25lbs. This is a fantastic start and you should feel VERY proud of yourself.

JackieHollow
11-22-2010, 06:35 PM
25 lbs is cause to celebrate! So CONGRATS!!! I have 153 lbs to lose... so I know totally how you feel. I can only reiterate what others have said. I look at the small goals. I refuse to think in terms of where I have to go. I think in small goals. I'm at a place that's exciting right now.... I'm looking forward to ..

50lbs (that's a goal in and of itself!)
51 lbs (that puts me 1/3 of the way to goal!)
and 54 lbs (that puts me at needing to lose LESS than 100 lbs!)
weighing 249.8 (I'll be closer to 200 than 300!)

I get to celebrate 4 times in a (HOPEFULLY) short period of time!! This keeps me excited. I love seing a new "decade" on the scale.. I haven't seen these in such a long time. LOL

other things that are fun are finding new clothes shoved way back in my closet that fit. It took me 30-35 lbs to really be able to find any. But it's still exciting and I find more and more that fit. It's not daily but I don't check daily. LOL once every couple weeks go through some smaller clothes (if you have any), and see what you can find that fits.

Also are you measuring?? That can be a big motivator.

I like to think of it as how far I've come.. not how far I have to go. 25lbs out of 125 lbs is 1/5 of the way. That's 20% of your journey. That's a huge feat!!! Be proud of that.. celebrate it. And when you think about how far you have to go, pull out a picture of you befor eyou started losing, and see how far you've COME.

katkitten
11-22-2010, 06:47 PM
I definitely felt that way and still do sometimes (now it is: I've lost all this weight and I'm still far from goal). But remember that 25 lbs is 25% of 100 so you are 25% of the way to losing 100 pounds!

*Edited to say that you are 1/6th of the way to your goal weight! You've already done 1/6th of the work! Crunching the numbers always makes me feel better. :D

Oh_Canada
11-23-2010, 12:15 AM
Find something that weighs 25 pounds and pick it up. That'll put into perspective how much extra weight you've taken off of your body! I was shocked at how heavy 50 pounds was when I tried to move it. :hug:

that just amazed me... i felt the same way i lost 22 lbs this month and same as you i still have a looooong way to go.... so i went and picked up 2 20lb bags of potatoes.... HOLY SMOKES THEY ARE HEAVY,,,,,, that much less weight on my hips,knees,,,,etc.... it may be a start but it was a darn good one :)

moon safari
11-23-2010, 12:18 AM
Um, so I took the advice given here and filled a backpack with what I thought was 25lbs. I just shoved in a ton of magazines. I could barely carry it down the hall and when I weighed it, it was like 19lbs! So I went and started loading up books. Finally I made it 25lb and my plan was to put it on my back, walk around, and think about what I was carrying around. It was so heavy that I didn't even want to put it on my back.

I am seriously shocked. That thing was HEAVY.

carter
11-23-2010, 10:47 AM
Um, so I took the advice given here and filled a backpack with what I thought was 25lbs. I just shoved in a ton of magazines. I could barely carry it down the hall and when I weighed it, it was like 19lbs! So I went and started loading up books. Finally I made it 25lb and my plan was to put it on my back, walk around, and think about what I was carrying around. It was so heavy that I didn't even want to put it on my back.

I am seriously shocked. That thing was HEAVY.

Nice work!

Aislin
11-26-2010, 12:28 AM
Awesome! Hard to believe you carried that around daily eh? Keep up the great work!