Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 11-19-2010, 03:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/180/165 lbs 95/82/75 kgs

Height: 5'10

Default What do you think of Cymbalta?

Hi everyone

I got a script for Cymbalta this week and started on 30 mg today. If all goes well after a week I'll be on 60 mg.

I'm excited to take it because my psychiatrist who is a metaphysical and holistically minded psych said it is the only AD he commonly prescribes. He is not a pill pusher at all, so I trust his judgement.

I'm taking it for anxiety related issues as well as depression. I am completing a taper from Xanax at the moment as well which has some interesting consequences.

I've heard Cymbalta is relatively weight neutral? If you took it, did you find that to be the case? Lexapro and Remeron made me gain, Remeron at a rapid and disturbing rate. It was an awful med for me.

Did you find Cymbalta worthwhile? Especially for anxiety?

Thanks in advance
Sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:35 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Sunday and

I have never tried Cymbalta so I can't answer your question, but I bet if you use the search function here on this board you'll find oodles of threads regarding it.

Good luck
Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:05 PM   #3  

Thanks Leenie! I'll give it a search.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #4  
Food Can Eat Me =p

S/C/G: 345/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

I was in a severe depression for a good year-and-a-half and was finally put on Cymbalta last spring and it helped me get out of my slump. I've started to reduce taking it every other day to come off of it now that I've started exercising regularly and am hoping that the exercise helps with the depression long-term. I'd tried a long string of ADs over the years and Cymbalta was the first one that I felt actually did something for me. I just don't want to be on it forever. Good luck.
Ive Had Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:17 AM   #5  

Thanks for writing back, I've Had Enough. That gives me hope!

I'm feeling pretty good on it so far. Sleeping okay and seem a bit less anxious which is great.

Good luck with your tapering, I hope it goes smoothly for you! I'm so glad Cymbalta helped you out of your depression, I know how hard it is.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:15 AM   #6  
Too big to fail!

S/C/G: 202.8/192/150

Height: 5'3

I hate to be the one that rains on a parade but Cymbalta has been terrible for me.

I have been on it for 5 years. It was fairly effective at controlling my depression but it was used in conjunction with Wellbutrin.

I have been weaning off of it for a few weeks now and it's terrible. I am home sick today because of the withdrawal.

If it works for you then I am so happy for you....it's hard to find a medication that is effective.
pamelasusan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:05 PM   #7  
Naturally Curvy

S/C/G: 264/259.9/164

Height: 5'6"

I'm a rainy day for this parade, too, I'm afraid. I took cymbalta and, well, it made me suicidal. I would have been locked up in a psych ward but I was living with my parents at the time and they didn't want to pay for medical bills. (Hello, childhood issues. How have you been?)

I do wish you all the best and hope it works wonders for you. We're all different.
JMSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #8  
Too big to fail!

S/C/G: 202.8/192/150

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSilver View Post
I'm a rainy day for this parade, too, I'm afraid. I took cymbalta and, well, it made me suicidal. I would have been locked up in a psych ward but I was living with my parents at the time and they didn't want to pay for medical bills. (Hello, childhood issues. How have you been?)

I do wish you all the best and hope it works wonders for you. We're all different.
I am glad that you got off the cymbalta seeing as it was doing the complete opposite of what it's supposed to. UGG!
How did you get off of it? I am having a heck of a time. The withdrawals are terrible.
pamelasusan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:52 AM   #9  
Naturally Curvy

S/C/G: 264/259.9/164

Height: 5'6"

I had to cut cold turkey (well, I chose to) because it was driving me into such a bad place (didn't know it could get so much worse before that), but I didn't take it for very long, either. *hugs* I wish I could be more helpful.
JMSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #10  
little by little

S/C/G: 220/215/150

Height: Five foot two

I've never taken cymbalta-- I've taken other mental health medications though-- but my Mom and my roommate's Mom took/are taking it. For my Mom it did not work too well for her from what I can remember. Paula, however (Dexter's Mom) doesn't always take her medications right so I can't say if it works for her or not.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:04 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 360/303/199

Height: 6'2''

I'd love to try Cymbalta, because I've heard it can help with the arthritis pains... the thing is, I'm already on Cipramil (60mg/day) and I really, REALLY, don't want to be a fortnight without meds before trying Cymbalta. (from what I've understand, you have to quit Cipramil in stages, which takes up to 2 months, and then you have to be without any meds for two weeks in order to cleanse your body)

I really do need something for the pain... and maybe also some stronger antidepressants too...
JMsTyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:42 PM   #12  
Food Can Eat Me =p

S/C/G: 345/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

I took Cymbalta every other day for a week and then went off it with no side effects as far as I can see. But I've been very dedicated to healthy eating and exercising almost everyday. The exercise helps with feeling better in general.

ETA: I also have arthritis in my neck, lower back, and knees so I know how hard it is to deal with physical impediments to exercising. Just do what you can at first and maybe you'll surprise yourself with what you can actually do.

Last edited by Ive Had Enough; 12-04-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Ive Had Enough is offline   Reply With Quote