PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/210/150

Height: 5'5

Default My metabalism sucks!

Ok heres my story: 3 months ago I was diagnosed with PCOS and because of that im consdiered preterm diabetic. Im also 60 pounds over weight which I have gained in a little over a year. I found out I have PCOS after trying to concieve for a around 14 months with no luck.

So i go and see a fertility doctor and he puts me on Metformin and Ostio-tri cyclin (generic birth control pill) And he told me that he didnt want to start fertility meds until I lose weight because of the risk of gestational diabeties. Which I understand. He put me on this crazy diet, which is like Atkins but modified. No starches, No fruits, absolutely No sugars, No milk, and only green veggies and meat. I was miserable for the four weeks I did it. But heres the thing, I didnt lose a single pound. and the metformin made me soo sick, i couldnt get up to taking 2-500mg a day because 1-500nmg was makin me so sick.

So i stopped the diet once I realized it wasnt working for me, my friends all think the diet was crazy and that I need to get a second opinion. Unfortonately my husband is in the Navy and deploys next month so we will have to wait until he gets home to start trying again. But that gives me 8 months to get my body in shape. I just dont know where to start???? Try a new diet? start back on the metformin again? it just seems like metablism is at a compete stand still and no matter what i do im not loosing any weight. I had even taled to my doctor about Lab band surgery(I read so many successful stories about it with pcos) but he told me no because im only 20. Ugh I just dont know what to do...... Any suggestions are greatly appricated!!
Kristiavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Have you tried counting calories? I know that for many women with PCOS a low carb diet really helps with weight loss, but for me as long as I stick with around 1500 calories a day of healthy food (which includes fruits, some dairy, and sometimes starches) I still lose weight. Calorie counting is usually a good place to start, and I've found that keeping a food journal where I write down what and how many calories I eat is very helpful. Even if you don't start dropping calories straight away, a few days of journaling can give you a better understanding of your intake, and from there you can decide how to modify it.

As far as the Metformin goes, I empathize. I was on 1000mg per day for a month, and I could hardly leave my house, I was so sick. In the end I had to stop taking it, but my hormone levels normalized themselves with just birth control pills. Many other symptoms of PCOS decrease for me as I lose weight as well (my periods become regular without the help of medication, for instance).

Feel free to send me a private message, if you want to talk in more detail
Katheryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #3  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

This is just my opinion BUT RUN FROM THAT DOCTOR!!!! I accepted a Dr's answer before, and trust me, you will be so much more grateful to find a dr who will start the fertility treatments now. I "tried" naturally for about 5 and a half years, no luck. And this was after seeing a Dr who told me everything was fine just keep trying. I wish I had known back then that I had PCOS. Now I have been getting fertility treatments (at a heavier weight then you!) and I got pregnant this summer, and had it end in miscarriage. I am going to tell you that after doing a lot of research I can tell you that PCOSer's have a higher rater of miscarriage. And then there are the women that have tried and tried with this disease to get pregnant with fertility treatments and nothing.
Even if you aren't to the point of seriously trying fertility meds, losing weight can GREATLY help your fertility. I have had the best success limiting carbs, following a South Beach diet.
I also hated Met. It ALWAYS made me sick no matter, I am considering starting it again, just because there is some evidence to suggest it can help prevent a miscarriage.
Anyways, sorry that was long lol. But I am more then happy to answer any other questions you have too.
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:55 AM   #4  

Crazy Idea... but have you had your prolactin levels checked??? Prolactin apparently also helps stabilise metabolism and a lack can not only give you troubles in the child bearing (labour/feeding etc) but can play an important role in other areas?
And 2nd opinions are ALWAYS a great thing if you are concerned with one doctors advice/diagnosis!!!
Chook is offline   Reply With Quote