Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 12:50 AM   #1  
tomorrow is another day

Thumbs up Panic Attacks & Dieting # 11

Hi gals,
here we are again into the busy period of the year...boy did that creep up on us early or what!
I am proud to say that last month when I actually was able to get out to my local store I bought a couple of Christmas gifts already!
yeah for me...this makes me feel more in control and hopefully I will get all of it done by the end of this month so I don't have to get into a tailspin over it...I am NOT going to get caught up in the last minute shopping frenzy.

daytona,
good to hear that you gave the WW meetings a try...nothing ventured nothing gained. I am proud of you. Sorry to hear that you are upset over family matters - try to set yourself some quiet and relaxing time each day - you owe it to YOU!!!
Sounds like you've got Thanksgiving all wrapped up. I have no back up plan yet.
Today I feel so tired and worn out I have to get back into my routine asap walking on the treadmill helped me - I would still like to lose 4 pounds before Christmas (small achievable goals).

take care,
MyGirl
Old 11-10-2002, 11:32 AM   #2  

Hi everyone,

I am so proud of you MyGirl, getting the Christmas gifts B4 Dec is something I have always wanted to do. Just seems it is either the finances or lack of knowing what I want to get people that stands in my way. I am going to try and get the shopping done by the end of the month also. It will sure take a whole lot of stress off me, then maybe I can enjoy the season a little more. I just started planning Thanksgiving dinner yesterday. Boy, what a lot of cooking and food shopping ahead of me LOL. Hopefully I won't over eat too much. What are your plans for Thanksgiving? I make the dinner and the kids and their boyfriends / girlfriends come here. I don't really mind, but I just get myself so worked up with trying to make everything perfect. I usually end up with a migraine for 3 days after. Relax is the key word here and I am going to try and stop obessing about perfect. My dog is due for a litter of puppies any day now and she is driving me crazy. She has been getting me up at 4:00am then again at 6:00 etc when I finally give up and get up for the day. I am not a pleasant person when I don't get my sleep and of course I don't deal with my anxiety very well then either. Hope things are going good for you, this season is very busy and it is easy to forget to take care of ourselfs. I am going to try and do something nice for "me" once a week and then I will have something to look forward to. It will have to be low cost, any ideas would be appreciated.

Calm and relaxing thoughts to all,

daytona
Old 11-11-2002, 10:00 PM   #3  
tomorrow is another day

just dropping by quickly - I am just running out the door.

daytona,
you sound like you've got Thanksgiving covered - I am no great cook.
hmmm as far as doing sometihng for you - how about
* foot massage
* back rub
* run a warm bath with nice lavender or vanilla oil (my fav)
I read this on Oprah's website (when all else fails...bathe)
talk to you soon
MyGirl
Old 11-21-2002, 07:16 PM   #4  
cookies are for browsers

Hi all,

So sorry I haven't posted. I have just been down in the dumps since my whopping 30 pound gain this year really got me down. But now I am starting to perk up again and hopefully I am on the right combo.

Went to an endocrinologist who says there really is something going on with the thyroid, so she has me on some stuff for that. I hope it works but I can tell a difference in energy level and eye puffiness already.

Other news... not looking forward much to Thanksgiving but I very much love Christmas and have been trying to make things look festive. Also gave up on the whole clothing industry and became a nudist. Just kidding. Bought a sewing machine and some gorgeous fabrics and groovy patterns (no country-looking gingerbread applique crap here) and now I look like a million bucks - this has done WONDERS for my self esteem. I highly recommend it. Just be really picky about the fabrics you get and you'll look awesome. I never did well in home ec class but I really think a lot of it had to do with the cheap material and the ultracheap machines they made us use. I mean, I spent years thinking I couldn't sew and I made a pair of palazzo pants last night in 3 hours. AND they fit like a dream and make me feel really pretty. I have more fabric at home, I might just make another pair tonight!!!

Hugs to you all, hope you don't flip over the holidays, just remember how fast the year went by and then you'll know that no matter how stressful the holidays are, they too will be over soon...
Old 11-22-2002, 08:09 AM   #5  

Hi Girls,

Wow it is so good to hear from you Jennifa, I agree the clothing industry just is terrible when it comes to sizes other than the classic ones. Great news on the pants you made. I may have to try and sew again if you didn't do well in school but now can do such impressive sewing. I hated sewing in home ec. What type of machine do you have? The one I have is a cheap brother and it gives me fits with just a straight seam, I can't imagine making an article of clothing on it!! That is so good you found a Dr who it working out side of the "box" to get you medical problems under control. There is nothing more frustrating than going to a Dr and getting no positive results. You will drop that weight sooner than you think, especially with them finding the thyroid problem. I love what you said about how fast the year flew, and I will hold on to those thoughts when I have my family over and they are all fighting and driving me crazy.

How are you doing Mygirl? Got anymore shopping done? I have taken your example and been doing some of mine early. I don't like the crowds of the last minute thing and of course by then you never can find what you are looking for. I did go and get a massage and it was great. I read a book called the summer house and it was very relaxing also.

Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving.

Daytona
Old 11-30-2002, 05:29 AM   #6  
tomorrow is another day

hi girls,
been busy doing nothing much at all actually! I've been feeling a little overwhelmed by things, the anticipation of the holidays just makes me sick with worry. The agoraphobia is rearing its ugly head and I really HATE it when that happens, I have also had a lot of trouble sleeping - not good, the other night even though I was exhausted I didn't sleep until 4:45am!!!!! what is wrong with me?

I've also started a low-carb diet (yes yet another diet) so far not too bad...I actually feel a bit better. It's very hard to stick to it 100% so I get to weigh myself next Friday...but I have done no exercise - gotta get on that treadmill.

Nice to hear from you jennifa (we missed you) I'm glad things are going well sounds like the endocrinologist has the answer maybe I should see one too. Great going on the sewing what a fantastic feeling making your own stuff and knowing that it fits just the way you like it.

Daytona - how was Thanksgiving at your place...you survived it!
People are funny creatures aren't they? especially relatives
I haven't done any more shopping because of the agoraphobia, I find I have to go first thing in the morning or at real quiet times when there are not too many people around and only if I can park my car right at the door (for a quick escape in case of panic attack). I hate that this rules my life and I have to curb my outings and what I really want to do.

sorry but I'm just feeling down about it all and wonder when the anxiety will EVER go!!!
MyGirl
Old 12-10-2002, 08:44 PM   #7  

Hi everyone,

MyGirl, I sure hope you are feeling better. I too have been feeling real down lately. I did survive Thanksgiving, but now here is Christmas and of course Christmas Eve when all my kids usually come over with the grandchildren but not this year. My oldest is fighting with my youngest so they (my oldest and his family) won't be here and neither will my grandchildren. It just adds more stress to the holidays than I need. Maybe I am just becoming a scrooge LOL. I just tell myself this to will pass. How is the new diet comming? I have a few friends that are carbo. sensitive and they have to eat mostly protien to lose weight. That would make me crazy, I love carbs! But you gotta do what you gotta do to lose. Have you got your shopping done? Mine is pretty much done, I still have cookies to make and cards to send out. Anxiety is an awful thing to have to deal with, and I really don't think "normal" people understand just how much it takes for those of us that suffer from it to do just the routine things others take for granted. The anxiety will go away, just remember how much better you are feeling and doing now compared to when you became aware of your problem. Even if it isn't gone, you know how to handle situations much better and you know what is happening. I think this is just a bad time of year! Any New Years resoulitions? I am still thinking about that one. Maybe we could start a challange or something?

How are you doing Jennifa? Are you still making those great clothes? I love doing hobby's I am good at. I been making quilts for the kids and they are turning out great. I have another litter of puppies (Shihtzus) they are a few weeks old now and they are getting playful. It helps take my mind off my other problems.

Calm and relaxing thoughts to all,

Daytona
Old 12-11-2002, 10:29 PM   #8  
tomorrow is another day

hi daytona,
nice to hear from you. This is a real crazytime of year isn't it?
I have almost done my shopping just need to get it all wrapped up, have posted my cards and have only a few things to get done.
Don't worry about your kids fighting - my brother and sister are also fighting and my brother has told us that he won't be coming for Christmas dinner! Talk about stress - why do these things happen on the holidays? I fugured that if he doesn't want to be here then we will just have to do it without him no point in stressing anymore.
I am feeling rather down lately, it's all getting to me I still have trouble sleeping, dh is not of much help, (he doesn't know how to). I'm just taking one day at a time...I can't wait for the holidays to be over so we can get back to regular routine. I like that saying "this too will pass" I will say that to myself as I try to get thru the next couple of weeks.

hope you're doing well too jennifa!
Mygirl
Old 12-12-2002, 08:46 AM   #9  

Hi girls,

MyGirl, I guess the problem comes in when you think adult people could put aside their petty or not so petty differences for a few hours once a year. I like your attitude about accepting their choice not to be there and make the most of it. I guess there is no other choice but to stress myself out even more and I just don't want to do that. Jan is just around the corner and then we will be able to look forward to spring (wishful thinking) and no more holiday stress, like our everyday stress isn't enough. We are in the process of re financing our house and there is plenty of stress involved! I still have my cards to get out and wrapping paper to by and of course the wrapping to do. Not being able to sleep is the worst, the night goes on forever. Have you tried camiole tea? That helps me sometimes, or if I am real desprate I take a tylenol pm and that always works, the only thing with that is you have to take it a couple hours B4 bed because it takes a while to kick in.

Calm and relaxing thoughts,

Daytona
Old 12-21-2002, 08:58 AM   #10  
tomorrow is another day

hi girls,
how have you all been doing? that means regulars and non-regulars and those who lurk but don't for whatever reason, post.

Things are hotting up around our place - I have just about done all the Christmas shopping I know I wanted to get it all out of the way long before now but that's the way things went. ..ho-hum!

I went shopping with my sister today, she talked me into going with her - I felt quite anxious but knew she wasn't going to a very big mall so I went - well, the first hour was not so great in fact it was awful I felt hot and sweaty, had to race to the washroom at least 4-5 times and felt so anxious and tired from all the adrenaline pumping thru my body.
After having some water and sitting down and then shopping while holding on to a shopping cart (this always helps me) I was then able to almost calm down but for at least 2-3 hours there I felt awful!

I must say that as the day progressed I felt tired but better able to handle the anxiety but it was still needless to say, exhausting!
I could not sit comfortably at the table when eating lunch woth them because I felt jittery, anxious and ready to run out - but I stayed hard as it was...with frequent trips to the washroom (again) this time not for feeling sick but because I had to get up and move around.

Good news is that I have been sleeping much better - gave up the coffee for a few days...thanks for the camomile tip daytona - it worked wonders! I'm holding onto your thought about january being just around the corner and holidays behind us...can't wait.

I plan to go to church at Christmas something I missed out on last year, dh went alone and was disappointed. I don't want to let him down this year - fingers crossed I will do it.

Take care!
mygirl
Old 12-26-2002, 11:37 AM   #11  
cookies are for browsers

Hi all,

Sorry I've been MIA. I have just been flipping out over the holidays. Great news, I am still here the day after Christmas. I actually chose to come to work today to just clean off my desk and get ready for the new year. I got some fun gifts this year. One of the best things I did in 2002 was buy a Barbie for my desk. She's great, very pretty and has quite the wardrobe going on. When things get too stressful I take a few minutes and dress her in something different - it really reminds me that life really can be fun and it isn't all stress.

Mygirl, did you make it to church? I am SO PROUD of you for going shopping with your sister. That is a VERY BIG DEAL!!! GOOD JOB!!! HURRAH HURRAH!!! In case you didn't know, that is what is called "exposure" therapy and you did it all by yourself - WOW!!! I also have a big mall fear - it's a little different than yours, has to do with architecture and not people. I've been trying to work on it but now that Christmas is over I will spend more time on it.

Daytona, how are you doing? I hope you are relaxing and maybe have time to post sometime in the next month or so! And if you don't want to wait for the Tylenol may I recommend Nyquil. It is truly fabulous and has saved my butt many times. Or just skip the cold medicine and go for a shot of Jaegermeister!!!!

Another great thing I got in 2002 - a Zen alarm clock. It is great because it gets your subconscious out of the REM sleep slowly and then when the alarm is finally going every 8 seconds you are totally conscious and not dreaming anymore. I love it - the chime is a beautiful Tibetan chime. They are expensive but for me they are worth it since I have a problem getting reprimanded for being late to work every morning. This clock has made my life better.

But really the #1 thing is the sewing machine. (it's a Janome, cost about $250 but if I knew then what I know now I would have spent more money for a machine that is also a serger. Makes it even easier.) I haven't really cared about losing weight so much when I have such fantastic clothes that make me look like a curvy goddess. And it is so easy. As my mom says, if you can read, you can sew. (and cook.)

Well, happy new year to you all.

Last edited by jennifa; 12-26-2002 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:56 PM   #12  
tomorrow is another day

just a quick note to let you know I survived Christmas! it was not totally anxiety-free but I guess the lead up was actually worse than the day. It was pretty low key which suited me just fine and after lunch those who were tired could go take a nap!
I am still very much in recovery mode trying to catch up on sleep.
daytona and jennifa, hope you had a relatively stress-free day.
Thank goodness it's over!
Old 12-28-2002, 10:23 AM   #13  

Hi everyone,

Glad to hear we all made it thru the stressful Christmas season. The pre-Christmas is the most stressful, when I think about how stressed I was about baking, shopping, finding the perfect gifts etc, I can see why I felt so bad. Isn't hindsight a great thing? I would like to say next year will be different, but I bet I will be just as crazy. Wow, the new year is in just a few days. Hard to believe another year has past. Any resolutions? Mine is to try and not get so worked up over everything. I am going to try and get most of the Christmas decorations down B4 new years, I get tired of the cluttered look!

Clam and relaxing thoughts to all,

Daytona
Old 01-01-2003, 07:17 AM   #14  
tomorrow is another day

hi daytona and girls!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! hope you are resting and happy now that the festive season is behind us and we can now get back to routine! I love routine, no hassle no pressure to be any place.

I took down the Christmas Tree and decorations today - it felt good no clutter as you said daytona the house looks better already.

I had all these thoughts and 100s of things going around in my mind so I just took a moment and wrote them all down and in the process I wrote down a few New Year Resolutions.

* entertain at home more often (have friends over regularly)
* take up yoga (again)
* to go with the flow & actually allow myself to be human, if I feel tired, annoyed or whatever then I will let my emotions show. I all too often hide the way I feel and this wastes a lot of energy.
*to re-join the gym
*take up special interest classes
*did I mention to lose weight?

That's all for now folks!

I wish you all the best for 2003 & may all your dreams be realized.

mygirl
Closed Thread