General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 12:56 AM   #1  

Angry Anyone miss me? =)

Wow, I haven't posted in a LONG time! I don't know what happened, but it just seems like things have been so busy. I haven't even been online that much.
Anyways, I have fallen off of the Slim Fast wagon. I still have 2 boxes sitting in my refrigerator, but haven't been drinking them. The weird thing is, I haven't gained any more weight. I have just stayed steady at around 118-120 lbs. I need to start back up again, I don't know what is holding me back.
I wish there was a miracle pill to lose weight. Or a machine or something. You just push a button, enter how much weight you want to lose, and *BOOM*! It's gone! And you look just the way you want to look. And you stay that way. Wouldn't that be the greatest?
Anyone want to inspire me? Tell me something that will help me through? Or at least get me back on the Slim Fast track?
My body is just depressing me now. I look in the mirror and some mornings, I just want to cry. I used to be so thin, I tell myself. How did I gain all of this weight? I am only 18 and already having to diets. I just wish it would all come off....
Old 11-03-2002, 10:23 PM   #2  

Holly,
Hon, do you realize what you are saying? How do you see yourself? I realize this is a weightlloss forum, but dear at 120 lbs. you don't need to be worried too much about your weight I don't care if you are 4'9" or 6'2" you can't be that "fat" not the way you see yourself and judging by your picture you are not!! I know what it is like to have someone tell you that you are not fat when you are convinced you are, but given the facts I think you need to take a long look within at who God made you to be. I have a feeling you are a beautiful young woman inside and out.

Hope I didn't offend you in anyway, but sometimes we need to hear things straight.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:14 AM   #3  
DNW

Try the eating disorders thread...you really need to talk to someone now about your distorted body image.

Maybe you just need to sculpt and firm up now, but no one hear is going to tell you to lose anymore weight. Try Body for Life Thread....they are a dedicated group who lift and follow a good nutritional plan. 118 is not heavy unless you are 2 1/2 feet tall.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:44 PM   #4  

Thanks for all of the advice guys.
However, I do not think that I have a distorted image about my body. I am only 4'11" and weigh 118-120 in the morning. That means by the end of the day, I am weighing more than that. My doctor told me that for my height and body build, my weight should be 105. So I am at least 13 pounds over-weight. All I am saying is that I want to be my normal weight again. I have gained 20 lbs. in the past year and a half and it is hard on me because I did used to be very small (but still a healthy weight). I just want to be my normal weight that I used to be. That's all.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:56 PM   #5  

You're just a teeny thing, aren't you? Maybe what you really need to incorporate is exercise! At your age, your metabolism should swing up fairly easy along with greater activity. You want to be careful not to restrict caloric intake TOO much and slow that metabolism down. Instead, rev it up with exercise.

If you want incentive, look around. I know that I personally didn't gain this weight in a day but rather over my first 5 years of marriage. My husband eats like a horse and has never worn anything bigger than a 32 inch waist in pants. At first, everytime he was hungry I was game, LOL. Now I know that he snacks ALL the time whereas I really have to limit myself. What I wouldn't give to have only 13 pounds to lose! So nip it in the bud.

But don't lose your perspective, either. Don't let those 13 pounds ruin your life. Perfection, on this earth, is only an illusion.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:42 PM   #6  

Yeah, I am pretty tiny, which makes it alot easier to notice every pound that I gain. I have started doing some more exercising. Doing an ab-video every night with my boyfriend, and going to try to start rollerblading. I like rollerblading because it doesn't feel like exercise to me. I am also taking these pills from the gym that raise your body temperature during the day (just a teeny bit) to help boost my metabolism. I like them because they don't make me feel jittery or hyper like most diet pills do. I hate diet pills, but this one isn't quite that and it doesn't make me feel the way they do. I do feel better lately.
I didn't mean to sound all depressed in my first post. It was just one of those days when I was feeling down and then I was thinking about my weight at the same time, so it came out wrong and made it sounds like I was worrying way more than I was. I am a happy person and happy with myself. But sometimes, yes, I do get a little bugged with my weight. But I'm working on it.... so happy faces!!!
Old 11-05-2002, 11:27 PM   #7  
it's always something

You are so lucky to have a b/f that will work out with you and support you! So many people don't have that, and it's a shame. With all that exercise, keep in mind that you are going to develop more muscle tone which will affect your weight. Just not in a bad way! You can be solid and toned and weigh more but be the same general size as someone that weighs less that doesn't work out (if that made any sense) So 105 might not be a realistic goal for someone that works out a lot.

Guys, I know it sounds odd for someone that just weighs 120 pounds to be dieting, considering that most of us here have had weight loss goals of over 100 lbs. But she is a small woman, and everyone carries their weight differently.

I just checked several online "ideal weight" calculators and charts to see what an 18 yr old 4'11" woman should weigh, and the weights averaged between 99 and 124 pounds. Therefore, a few pounds lost would not fall into the danger zone for Holly.

Your best bet, in my personal opinion, would be not to worry about the numbers. Especially since you exercise, and this can alter how you carry your weight, and can increase your ideal weight. Do what is right for you. If you feel healthy and comfortable at 120, then so be it.

Btw, please stop the pills! They really will do nothing for you, you are already doing everything you can to lose the weight in a healthy way. Don't upset the balance. The best boost to your metabolism is actually exercise! According to a lot of people here that have used them, the longer you take them, your body will build up a resistance, and you will have to increase your dosage to feel that (useless) buzz. In the meantime, you are constricting your blood vessels, raising your blood pressure, increasing your risk of stroke or worse. It's happened to people even younger than yourself, so don't feel immune. Gyms and so-called health shops push the pills because they make a huge profit on them. They are easy to sell because they play on our insecurities. They know we are desperate enough to try almost anything, at any cost. The weight loss industry generates $50 billion per year. You REALLY don't need them. A healthy diet and exercise. Nothing can do a better job for weight loss. Also, you'll be better off in the end if you will avoid anything that should affect your metabolism in an unnatural way. Otherwise, you risk gaining the weight back quickly later on. Take your time, and you should achieve a life-long goal weight.

Regarding Slim-Fast, it has the highest failure rate of all commercial diets because it's so hard to stick to. There is nothing in there that will make you lose weight. It's just a controlled meal which limits your fat and calorie intake. You can accomplish the same thing in an easier to follow program, by eating Lean Cuisine (or similar) frozen dinners. They are portion controlled, quick and easy, and offer an incredible variety. This is much easier to stick with than Slim Fast. Maybe you could try this for a month or two and see if that gets you to your goal.

Good luck, and please don't stay away as long next time
Old 11-06-2002, 11:18 AM   #8  

Thank you for understanding me Suzanne.
I actually think that I will not go back on Slim Fast. I found myself eating huge amounts at the one meal that I had a day. I just don't think it is for me, and just as you were saying, my mom said that she gained all of her weight back from it.
I have actually tried the healthy frozen dinners and I like those Healthy Ones meals. I think I will start doing more of those. The pizza ones are really good!
You guys have been great, with all of your advice and support. Thank you. And trust me, I won't be leaving soon. =)
Old 11-07-2002, 09:56 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi Holly-just a quick reply to you! Rather than worrying about the scale so much-just try working on your eating and exercising. Suzanne is so right about the exercise. You can have two women of the exact same weight and height, and it be possible for them to wear two different clothing sizes-the one who exercises regularly will be the smaller one, because her body is firm and fit.
Suzanne is also right about the Slim Fast plan-it is very hard to stick to. I keep a few shakes in my fridge and I have one about once a week, on days when I would normally have to skip a meal due to being busy-I know it is calorie and portion controlled-and they are great for a quick meal on the go-but I could not do it twice a day every day...but it is good for the occasional quick meal replacement.
It is good that you rollerblade because you like it-I have tried many exercise options, and weight training/body sculpting, walking outdoors, and bellydancing are the ones I stick with because they are enjoyable for me. That is the key-finding what you like to do. (I admire runners, but I will not run unless I am chased)
If you want to get off the two meals a day Slim Fast wagon-I recommend the following threads-Body For lLife is a great thread if you are interested in body sculpting, Doin' it the Old Fashioned Way ifyou want a balanced eating and exercise plan...and we haev a few others here, but I am with Suzanne as far as you taking any pills. They are moneymakers, and I don't know ANYONE who loses and keeps it off with pills. Glad you are back!
Aphil
Old 11-09-2002, 05:38 PM   #10  
DNW

Sorry Holly...but you should have told us all how tall you are...and that yo put on the 20 lbs. in the past 1 1/2 yrs. You had us all worried when you left out those details. Now your concern is more balanced in our eyes. We worry when people your age are so fixated about weight but as I said it's make more sense now.

Slimfast has 35 grams of sugar per can plus the carbs from the milk products. Again even though I don't do the Body for Life Program...they have a great site in terms of folks who know what they are doing with food...MrsJim is an expert on body building and food, ask her for some advice. She has gone from a size 24/26 to size 4, and is very knowledgeable about this BFL program.

Good luck and sorry I overreacted, but having seen so many young girls in OA your age starving them selves to death or bingeing and purging themselves into a hospital I got overly concerned.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:33 PM   #11  

Hey, Holly!

Haven't heard anything out of you in a long time, just wondered how you're doin'!

Cheryl
Old 02-27-2003, 11:58 PM   #12  

Hi Girls!
It seems like it has been forever. I've been so busy lately (the classic excuse). But honestly, I work in the mortgage business and rates are so low right now, that I find myself so overwhelmed and tired everyday from all of the constant work flow. Anyways...
Well there is good news and bad news.
Good news: I haven't gained any more weight.
Bad news: I haven't lost any weight.
I am still steady at 118. But I did do one good thing, I got off of the birth control shot, which made me gain that 20 extra pounds in the first place.
So now I am on the birth control patch. My Dr. said that that should help me lose some weight now.
So how are all of you?
Old 02-28-2003, 12:39 AM   #13  
it's always something

Hi, welcome back!! Congratulations on maintaining your weight That can be especially hard to do when your schedule is so busy. It's so tempting to have Ronald McDonald cook for you! You've done well

Good luck with the patch!
Old 02-28-2003, 10:19 AM   #14  

Oh, Suzanne, that avatar.........

Holly, glad you're maintaining! I've been tempted to try that patch. One of the girls I work with is using it and she loves it!

Just wanted to check on ya!

Cheryl
Old 03-02-2003, 01:58 AM   #15  

Smile Birth Control Patch

Well I must say, the patch has been working great for me too! It is so easy and it stays just as good as they say it does. I take showers, exercise, work, and everything, and it stays on. The other good thing about it is that I know exactly when my periods will be. You change your patch every week for 3 weeks, then you leave it off for a week, and that is when you get your period. It is so nice to know when to expect "Aunt Flow"... =) And of course, the other good thing about it is the weight issue. It does not make you gain weight (like the DepoProvera shot did to me) and it doesn't make you lose either. It just lets you be you. It's the best form of birth control in my opinion.
Closed Thread