Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-21-2010, 11:02 PM   #1  

Talking sharing my story, and have some questions

Hi, my name is nicole. I posted on here a while ago but forgot about the site . I started the process for wls in may. Saw the psychiatrist in july, he wanted me to see a nutritionist so I saw her late september. My appointment with the surgeon is next thursday. At first I was soooo excited. I came all this way, and finally got the appt. Well, now I'm scared and I don't know why. I'm not scared for the actual procedure. I think I'm scared of insurance denial most of all. I plan on starting college in january so I'm scared of how the surgery will affect school. I'm also scared if and when I get the surgery to be away from my son while I'm in the hospital. He's almost 8 months old and I watch him during the day while my boyfriends at work. Its gonna be hard, I hate leaving him. Reverse seperation anxiety I guess? Lol. When I saw the nutritionist told me to cut out carbonated, caffienated sugar added drinks. This isn't too hard because I mostly drink water. She said no milk or orange juice (which I love). The hardest thing she told me was everything I eat has to have less than 5g of fat and sugar. Can anyone give me suggestions of food with those guidelines? All I've found is honey wheat pretzels lol. Ok, questions!
How long were you out of work/school?
How long did the incision pain last?
How long did the dr say to refrain from sex?
How much weight did you lose at 3, 6, 9, 12 months?
How long after your surgeon visit was the surgery?
I know everyone is different but I'd like some kind of idea.
In case it matters, I'm 19 and weigh 360lbs (god it sickens me to say that)
Thanks so much!
cuppycake22410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hey CC back !!

It is normal to be scared, from start to end I was terrified...who wouldn't be?

What surgery are you having?

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:33 PM   #3  

Gastric bypass, open
Old 10-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #4  

Open gastric bypass
Old 10-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #5  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

How long were you out of work/school? Two weeks off work
How long did the incision pain last? bout a week
How long did the dr say to refrain from sex? when I felt like it.
How much weight did you lose at 3, 6, 9, 12 months? don't remember one year was 100 lbs I do know that.
How long after your surgeon visit was the surgery? 15 days
I know everyone is different but I'd like some kind of idea.
In case it matters, I'm 19 and weigh 360lbs (god it sickens me to say that)
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:00 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

those guidelines from the dieticians - that's mostly for right after surgery. but, we truly DO need to reduce our carbs over the long haul.

the rule of thumb after gastric bypass is no more than 15 grams of fat or carbs at a time - that's to prevent the reaction known as DUMPING [which is NOT the same as throwing up because something got stuck].

so, put the pretzels away. after surgery, you'll be on clear liquids for awhile, then protein drinks and other 'soft' forms of protein - like eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese. then you'll gradually start eating more types of protein - fish, chicken, beef, pork, tofu, beans - as you tolerate them, and then start adding small amounts of veggies. then a little fruit.

trust me, you'll fill up FAST.

soooo - why are you having open surgery?
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:32 PM   #7  

I'm doing the open because a friend of mine recommended a surgeon who only does open gastric bypass. He has an amazing reputation, I looked into him a lot. The surgeon at that center who does laproscopic is new and only has about 200 surgeries under his belt; the other has thousands. I'm also concerned about always having the money for the vitamins. I have to take 4 a day for the rest of my life. Will my insurance cover them? I don't think so, I have independent health
Old 10-22-2010, 11:17 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

most insurance companies don't cover vits, and you'll have to check with your insurance company. BUT, if you have a health savings account AND submit a note from your doc that these are medically necessary, you can be reimbursed for them. honest! and for walking shoes, and gym memberships and home gym stuff.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:25 PM   #9  

Ok thanks. I'm definitely getting a gym membership once I'm cleared to exercise. If I'm sick will the surgery be delayed? I've been getting wicked colds since my son was born, he messed with my immune system! Lol
Old 10-23-2010, 05:41 AM   #10  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I'm concerned that you're concerned about affording vitamins. Whatever they told you you'll need, that's only as a starting point - many patients eventually need to add more in the future depending on their lab results. While I have a different stomach than a gastric bypass, I have just about the same intestinal configuration and I take the following supplements daily (and I never had any deficiencies before my surgery):
  • multivitamin (2 per day)
  • calcium citrate (12 per day because of the kind I take - could be only 6 per day if I took a different kind)
  • Vitamin D (1 every third day)
  • Vitamin A (1 on the days I don't take the D)
  • B complex (1 per day)
  • sublingual B12 (1 per day)
  • iron (2 per day)
  • zinc (1 per day)
I also take the following that are not required but I find very helpful to my health and quality of life:
  • probiotic (1 per day)
  • hair, nails & skin combo (4 per day)
  • Vitamin C (2 per day)
Right now, you can use an FSA/HSA to get reimbursed for vitamins with a note/prescription for them from your doc, but the FSA rules are changing in 2011 to no longer cover over-the-counter items, so I'm not sure how that will be affected. Insurance companies generally don't cover vitamins unless you can take a prescription-strength vitamin - I do know some people who take a prescription prenatal as their multi, so they just have to pay their prescription copay.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:32 AM   #11  

I am worried about it but its not a high priority concern. Obviously theyre a necessity so I'll find a way to afford them.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:44 AM   #12  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

I'm having surgery in January, but it's open enrollment for me this month. Assuming the HSA will reimburse for vitamins-what would be a reasonable amount to expect per month? I hadn't thought about this before-so I'm glad I have the chance to sign up now. The FSA has been wonderful for daycare-might as well utilize it for health care too . . .
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:35 PM   #13  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

I also take Biotin for my hair nails etc.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #14  
Old Cackler

Julie - have a chat with your doc/dietician about your vitamin needs, and then check out the prices of the brands you buy, and you'll be able to ballpark it.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:09 AM   #15  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliemarie View Post
I'm having surgery in January, but it's open enrollment for me this month. Assuming the HSA will reimburse for vitamins-what would be a reasonable amount to expect per month? I hadn't thought about this before-so I'm glad I have the chance to sign up now. The FSA has been wonderful for daycare-might as well utilize it for health care too . . .
Please check with your specific HSA/FSA plan, as the rules are being changed for 2011 as a result of the new healthcare regulations, and I'm not sure vitamin reimbursement will be an option anymore.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote