General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/172/170

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

Default I hate working at Mcdonalds :(

I just started working at Mcdonalds, and I hate it! I graduated from college, but I can't find a job in my field...I've gotten some interviews but no job. Mcdonalds hired me on the spot...and I am very happy for that, that they gave me the chance...but I just hate it!
I work in the kitchen. You might assume this makes maintaining my weight difficult, but the exact opposite. I don't eat their food...I think I might get a free meal but I don't take it. I bring fruit and nuts and one day I worked late and had brought nothing...so I didn't eat anything! On the other hand, other employees do eat the food...they snack on nuggets, bacon, cheese and even pickles back there...just saying.
Some days I really like it. The people are nice except for the one girl...who I am just killing with kindness. I am an overachiever. I watch what everyone does while I am not busy...and assume that it will help me out someday and has. Because I watch how they make the sandwiches, I have been able to do some of them while others were busy.
And we always seem understaffed or behind. I assume it is me, because I am new and very slow at things...but I don't think so...I mean, if I was such a bad employee why do they offer me to work late?
Did you know, that at 3-4 p.m. there are only 2 people in the kitchen? This is the worst hour to work! We run out of red meat and the other person has to grill...I haven't learned grill yet. So, there is only 2 people in the kitchen grilling, frying (things like nuggets), and doing table and cabinets (adding condiments and meats) It makes me wish I was scrubbing toilets or something...
It is very stressful and it seems so unnecessary...why can't they hire an extra person for that time? o.O
My mom doesn't understand when I tell her this. I can't quit, I know...I need the money and so I have to stay. It just seems so...stupid and hilarious at the same time. I am not as educated as a manager, I know...but it seems like knowing that 3-4 is a peak time and having only 2 in the kitchen is too few, that we should have at least one other person on board around that time?
Dagny18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:16 PM   #2  
Knowing I'm worth it!

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

I feel for you Dagny. I've had plenty of jobs in my life that I hated because of the complete inefficiency in how the job was being run. Being busy and understaffed is the worse. I know times are tough and you need to hang in there and keep this job, but in the meantime, keep your eyes and ears open so that you can grab any bit of advancement you can. Also keep looking for a better job. Keep your chin up and keep reminding yourself that this is just one step in your very long and prosperous life. Good luck.
Teresa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa66 View Post
I feel for you Dagny. I've had plenty of jobs in my life that I hated because of the complete inefficiency in how the job was being run. Being busy and understaffed is the worse. I know times are tough and you need to hang in there and keep this job, but in the meantime, keep your eyes and ears open so that you can grab any bit of advancement you can. Also keep looking for a better job. Keep your chin up and keep reminding yourself that this is just one step in your very long and prosperous life. Good luck.
co-signed! Keep your head up hon!
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:11 PM   #4  
emaline29

S/C/G: 226/202/154

Height: 4'11"

Well done to you Dagny! In this time when jobs are hard to come by at least you have shown what you are made of.
The catering trade, which or whoever you work for is always understaffed and very hard work,as I know only too well having done that job for years, but make no mistake it will strengthen your character and help you through tough times where ever you work from here on in. I noticed that you say you are watching others to get info so you can move on - well done, that shows great initiative. Don't forget all, or the majority of these self made millionaires started from the ground floor and had to work their way up. - And why do you think that your manager is more educated than you? If that were true why is he/she still working at Mcd's? They no doubt started the same way as you so chin up and keep on being determined to get there, wherever "there" is for you!!
All the very best.

Last edited by emaline29; 10-04-2010 at 05:12 PM.
emaline29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 280/172/170

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by emaline29 View Post
Well done to you Dagny! In this time when jobs are hard to come by at least you have shown what you are made of.
The catering trade, which or whoever you work for is always understaffed and very hard work,as I know only too well having done that job for years, but make no mistake it will strengthen your character and help you through tough times where ever you work from here on in. I noticed that you say you are watching others to get info so you can move on - well done, that shows great initiative. Don't forget all, or the majority of these self made millionaires started from the ground floor and had to work their way up. - And why do you think that your manager is more educated than you? If that were true why is he/she still working at Mcd's? They no doubt started the same way as you so chin up and keep on being determined to get there, wherever "there" is for you!!
All the very best.
Thanks everyone.
I don't know...maybe she likes working at Mcds? lol it isn't my dream job, even if they offered me it...I would take it temporarily if I had to, like I took this for now...
I just hate being yelled at!
Today I got yelled at for leaning against a freezer, lol
And yes, I watch others if I have time/things aren't busy...it just seems the thing to do to learn it?
Dagny18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #6  
emaline29

S/C/G: 226/202/154

Height: 4'11"

Yep! Sounds like the same thing I had many times in my working life. When I was working at a branch of BHS in their restaurant and had been working flat out all morning and we were VERY busy at the time, I had just stopped for ten seconds to catch my breath and the manager walked past and gave me a right rollicking for not working! That's life for you!
Just stick it out and at least it will make a good report for the next position you move to wherever it may be.

Last edited by emaline29; 10-08-2010 at 08:37 AM.
emaline29 is offline   Reply With Quote