Old 09-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #1  

Default Nausea when taking vitamins

I am into my 6th wk and am still fighting nausea in the morning after eating (usually the berry yogurt)-I take my first dose of vitamins with this meal. It's like clockwork, happens everytime and am wondering what to do? I understand that taking my vitamins with a meal is important, but since I don't have problems with the nausea later in the day, is it an option to 1. Take the vitamins with my afternoon meal and then the second dose with dinner? or 2. Take both doses with dinner? I also understand that I won't get the benefit of the vitamins nutrients unless I take them in the a.m. and p.m., but this nausea is pretty bad, so any idea's? I did search the IP FAQ's and didn't have alot of success in answering this question. I've been told that the nausea will eventually go away, but what does 'eventually' mean?
smallgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #2  
Phase 4 - Aug 14, 2010

S/C/G: 192.5/158/125

Height: 5'5"

Have you tried a different IP food for breakky? Maybe its the combo?
WannabeIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:18 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Do you take any medications? Sounds like some kind of interaction.

I was taking spironolactone and a supplement with potassium- I became ill with it and found out you should not take potassium with spironolactone- I stopped taking the supplement and switched to a multi-vitamin and the problem was solved.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:27 PM   #4  

Wannabe: I learned that I am Whey intolerant, so am limited as far as what I can/cannot eat on IP. Have tried eating one of the bars in the morning, but the nausea still happens. Maybe I'm stuck with this until I reach my goal weight. Hope not.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #5  

Does your supplement contain calcium? Certain calcium sources commomly cause nausea.
mjmommq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:43 PM   #6  

mjmommg: YES! I am taking calcium/magnesium supplements both a.m. and p.m. Hmmmmm. Might be the culprit. So the question becomes what do I take to replace these supplements?
Old 09-23-2010, 01:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

STOP!! THIS IS IMPORTANT!

I presume you are following the Ideal Protein protocol for supplements and taking the potassium pill in the morning as directed.

Talk need to talk to your coach and Doctor!!

Having NAUSEA in the morning following a POTASSIUM pill can signal you are getting TOO MUCH potassium! Are you taking any medications that could be effected by potassium? (There are several including blood pressure medications.)

If I were coaching ANYONE and they came to me with what you just said, I would strongly recommend having your blood work drawn to check potassium levels. If they are reasonable you might then try to use a lower level of potassium or split the potassium to be used at a few times during the day.

Potassium is a very unique thing we take in the morning and that you are only experiencing it following the morning meal is suspicious.

Also, you should only be taking cal/mag at dinner and at your bedtime snack. Calcium is provided later in the day on this program to help with sleep.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #8  

Hi Carla: I will have my bloodwork done again. Good idea. Prior to starting IP, I didn't have the nausea-but then I wasn't taking supplements/vitamins in the a.m. either, so....
You are a walking book of knowledge! I always learn something new via your posts. Thank you.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #9  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

I also have this problem with SOME multivitamins -- for instance, ONE-A-DAY, so I switched to a WHOLE FOOD vitamin (by Dr. Mercola), and problem solved.
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:51 PM   #10  
Peace. Love. Balance

S/C/G: 199/128/125 (new goal of 115)

Height: 5'3

I have to take any vitamin pill after I've eaten lunch, I need a substantial amount of food in my tummy otherwise I feel ill.
bananapancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:02 PM   #11  

I can tolerate calcuim carbonate but not calcuim citrate. The label will state what kind of calcuim is in your supplement. Good luck. keep us posted!
mjmommq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:04 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/165/154

Height: 5'6"

OK, got a similar question/situation. I have been taking the multi vit, CalMag and Potasium as perscribed. The only one that I've might have not taken all 4 daily is the CalMag as some days would take one with a.m. and one/two at noon so I would forget the last. I would take that way because I have a very weak stomach and the first few days I started IP I would get very nauseous. Well last night due to the Big C, my coach said the CalMag might help if taken 2 lunch and 2 dinner. Well low and behold I had that reaction early this a.m. and sour stomach and nausea all day still with some Big D. I began reading about CalMag and some sites don't recommend that high of Mag as it could cause the Big D. I wonder if my body just doesn't need that much Mag. I really feel horrible and don't want to have an episode like that again. Any advice would be appreciated.
LAShutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:19 PM   #13  
Started IP 9/1/10

S/C/G: 240/215/pregnant

Height: 5'8"

I have always been mulit-vit intolerant....I remember vomiting one morning on the way to class.....all over the door of my friend's work car. Yep, no changes. I am fine if I just take my multi at lunch with a meal...and I mean eat half, take the vitamin, then finish. The cal-mag hasn't bothered me.
wyoangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #14  

Thanks for all of the feedback! Talked with my coach today and they have suggested taking the vitamins at lunch and dinner for a couple of days-that since my stomach is basically empty (even though I'm taking them with breakfast), that this may be the reason why the nausea is happening. Stay tuned....
Old 07-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 143/137/110

Height: 5'1/2"

Default nausea

ugg. me too. The vitamins make me nauseous. Maybe after breakfast or later in the day when there is more food in your stomach
sandygirl68 is offline   Reply With Quote