Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #1  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default I had no idea I was so obsessed

I am on a board of directors of a large association in my province. We meet in person every few months, mostly our monthly meetings are by phone, so I don't always see the other members. Recently, at one of the in person meetings, I was struck by a colleagues weight loss. She was at that stage where you aren't sure if she is sick, her face looked a bit gaunt, but I figured she fine. Indeed she is, she is just exercising a lot more, (biking to work and taking care with diet, not dieting per se).
as we talked, she commented on my success, saying she was glad to see I was finally having some success, that she felt so sad about my struggles, and talked about things I have said in the past.
I didn't realize I talked about food and weight loss so obsessively. She remembers how I had to sit far from the food and buffets to avoid overeating, and me asking for no cookies with afternoon coffee, because I couldn't not have one.
FOr the meeting that day, I packed my lunch instead of taking a chance on what was catered, and just stuck to my own stuff. During breaks, I walked around the block. ( she came with me).
During that time, we didn't talk about dieting, weight loss etc, but about our kids. Was a nice change, she said.
Wow, I had no idea. I'm glad if my WOE is becoming 2nd nature and I am not struggling so much, and can be a more well rounded person, but I didn't know I wasn't!.
SHe wasn't complaining at all BTW, this was all stated in a lovely way, that made me feel very good about the place I am in now.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

It's so nice that you were able to take her comments as compliments to who you are now! I think I would have had a hard time not being offended.

Was this something you did before you started losing weight or something that's come along with new strategies you've picked up? What do you think has changed?
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Congratulations on your success! That's the main thing.

This is why I didn't talk at all about my weight loss except with closest friends and family members--and even then, only a little. I didn't want to become known as "You know her--that woman who is always trying to lose weight."

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote