PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Cycle length changes...

Hi, I'm a newbie here. I was diagnosed with PCOS last year after a year of TTC with no luck. It's been 2 years now and discovered hubby has a problem too.

Anyway, before I was diagnosed my cycles were super long over 60 days sometimes even longer and that was totally frustrating since of course anything over 30 days I was thinking 'i might be pregnant!!' I had been on birth control since i was 16 because i have very painful periods. I thought it was just adjusting but after a year I went to the doctor. She did bloodwork and determined I had PCOS with Insulin Resistance. She put me on metformin and told me to lose weight. I didn't really lose any weight last year but took my metformin. A few months later she had my blood work tested again and no change in my levels so she upped my dosage of metformin. This year however, my cycles have been shorter and periods the same length meaning I spend a 1/3 or more of every month on my period. :P sucks.

I had my annual exam and I told her this but she didn't retest me. But at the time I had only had a few shorter periods AND I was taking a pill call soy isoflavones which is supposed to induce ovulation like clomid so I thought it was that causing it, however I haven't taken that pill in 4-5 months and each cycle keeps getting shorter, 24 days last time. So I am sure she attributed my shorter cycles to that.

I am just wondering if these short cycles are just the other end of the spectrum for PCOS or if maybe it is now 'controlled' due to my weight loss and metformin.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks!
ElizabethG is offline   Reply With Quote