General chatter - Whatcha Readin' Sept 2010

View Full Version : Whatcha Readin' Sept 2010

ANOther
09-01-2010, 01:32 PM
A new month, a new book. I just finished Bliss, Remembered: I liked the story but the ending was a little too much of a twist (I won't spoil)

Tonight, start The Paris Vendetta by Steve Berry

lizziep
09-01-2010, 08:51 PM
i just started "Confessions of a Pagan Nun" by kate horsley. so far I really like it- it's very poetic and interesting about a 6th century irish nun and her pagan roots & the take over of christianity.

CanadianCutie
09-04-2010, 05:15 PM
I'm still reading the first book in the Sookie Stackhouse series. Planning on starting The Girl Who Played with Fire tonight by Steig Larrson. (I know I probably spelled his name wrong, but the book is on the floor and I'm too lazy to grab it right now, or to look it up on amazon)

JennyG
09-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Women ,Food and God. AMAZING book!!

I just finished Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribule, really really good for those of you struggling with the diet mentality and the food fight...

Now, I am reading "memory keepers daughter"... so far so good, will let you know when I finish!

Ruthxxx
09-04-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm reading The Jewish Policeman's Union for Book Club and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo for me.

Alicia87
09-07-2010, 01:50 AM
Just finished "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson....EXCELLENT book. Really. Everyone should read it.

Right now i'm reading "Stones into Schools" by Greg Mortenson and "A Second Helping" by Beverly Jenkins...both pretty good so far!

Serval87
09-07-2010, 09:43 PM
I'm actually reading two different books at the moment. lol. "Raptor Red" by Robert T. Bakker, and "Alosha" by Christopher Pike (LOVE pike!!)

shasha12
09-07-2010, 10:29 PM
I just finished The Catcher in the Rye and now I'm onto The Cider House Rules. I love John Irving!

I'm reading The Jewish Policeman's Union for Book Club
I want to join a book club!

alinnell
09-08-2010, 01:19 PM
I should finish When I Stop Talking You'll Know I'm Dead (http://www.amazon.com/When-Stop-Talking-Youll-Know/dp/0446548154/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283962707&sr=8-1) by Jerry Weintraub. Frankly, he pats himself on the back far too much in this book. But then, that's him.

After I finish (which should be tonight), I'll start the first Sookie Stackhouse book.

Serval87
09-08-2010, 10:38 PM
I just remembered that I was reading "let the right one in" and never finished it, so either I'm going to take on three books or drop Alosha (since I have read so many pike books, and could just pick it back up later). lol.

Glory87
09-09-2010, 02:36 AM
I am reading One Day (http://www.amazon.com/One-Day-Vintage-Contemporaries-Original/dp/0307474712/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1284010549&sr=8-1). The first chapter was a little slow, now I am hooked! It's already made me cry once :)

Smiling_Sara
09-09-2010, 09:37 AM
I'm reading Such a Pretty Face. http://www.amazon.com/Such-Pretty-Face-Cathy-Lamb/dp/0758229550/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1284035723&sr=8-1

It's still really early, Chapter 1, but it's about a women who loses 170 pounds, and realizes that she still struggles with the same old dysfunctions

caribbeangirl02
09-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Hello all, love books so I love this thread!
I am reading Anthropology of an American Girl by Hilary Thayer Hamann, pretty good but very long.
Next will be Freedom by Jonathan Franzen.
shasha12, I heard an interview with John Irving a few days ago, the interview was originally broadcast at the end of 2009. I understand that he has a new book. Here's the link to listen online or download podcast in case you are interested:
http://www.onpointradio.org/2010/09/john-irving-novelist

Glory87, I read One Day last month and I loved it!!!

Happy reading everybody!

Nienna
09-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Alicia - I loved "Three Cups of Tea" when I read it! It made me want to go do something significant with my life.

I'm currently reading "A Talent for War" by Jack McDevitt. I love SciFi, and I've been on a McDevitt kick since discovering him in June.

Shopaholic1204
09-12-2010, 01:53 PM
I'm reading The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum. So far, it's VERY different than the movie.

alinnell
09-12-2010, 02:37 PM
I'm reading The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum. So far, it's VERY different than the movie.

I've heard they're all very good books.

Shopaholic1204
09-12-2010, 02:51 PM
I've heard they're all very good books.

I've heard that too. I'm only interested in reading the first 3. I LOVE the movies.

Onederchic
09-12-2010, 04:02 PM
I just finished up 'The Lost Symbol' by Dan Brown and I am gonna start on 'While My Sister Sleeps' by Barbara Delinsky

summershine
09-12-2010, 06:41 PM
last week or so I've read the first eight Sookie Stackhouse (TrueBlood) books ^_^

yes, I'm a speed reader :P

Shopaholic1204
09-12-2010, 06:48 PM
last week or so I've read the first eight Sookie Stackhouse (TrueBlood) books ^_^

yes, I'm a speed reader :P

those are easy books to read. i love them all.

lizziep
09-13-2010, 01:58 PM
finished confessions of a pagan nun it was excellent but very sad, which i was expecting.

i'm on john connelly's "the gates" which apparently is a young adults book which i figured out a while in, it is hilarious and dark and fun and i am absolutely loving it. i loved his book "the book of lost things" and this has a similar, but more lighthearted, feel to it.

catowned
09-14-2010, 10:59 AM
The Believer by Gabhart
The end of it dragged on and on..but it was an OK treadmill book. :)

L R K
09-14-2010, 11:04 AM
I just started reading The Clockwork Angel.

It's the 1st book in the new Cassandra Clare series "The Infernal Devices"

TERAPET
09-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Hi,

I like these threads. I am always looking for new titles to read. I love John Irving also. I almost bought his newest but went with Barbara Kingsolver's The Lacuna instead. I am currently reading Tolstoy's War and Peace. Almost finished. I am not sure why everyone makes such a big deal about the length. It couldn't be any worse then The Lord of the Rings trilogy wh ich tons of people have completed. Anyway,I loved W & P and am now into anything Russian. Any suggestions?

Shopaholic1204
09-14-2010, 01:59 PM
I just started reading The Clockwork Angel.

It's the 1st book in the new Cassandra Clare series "The Infernal Devices"

What do you think of it so far? I'm re-reading "City of Bones".

alinnell
09-14-2010, 02:16 PM
So I started the first Sookie Stackhouse book...and it's really annoying. I mean, I keep hearing Anna Paquin's voice doing the narration. And even though I like the show, her voice is really annoying to me. I'm not sure I can continue reading it.

Nienna
09-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Hi,
Anyway,I loved W & P and am now into anything Russian. Any suggestions?

Not sure if this quite fits the bill, as it was originally written in English, but I'd recommend Nabokov's Lolita if you haven't yet read it. I also liked Notes from the Underground by Dostoevsky, though it's a bit depressing. And I haven't read this one yet, but I saw the movie based on it, and it was really good, and I keep meaning to check the book out: The Captain's Daughter by Alexander Pushkin.

Hope this helps! Do you have any Russian suggestions besides W&P?

Shopaholic1204
09-14-2010, 04:29 PM
So I started the first Sookie Stackhouse book...and it's really annoying. I mean, I keep hearing Anna Paquin's voice doing the narration. And even though I like the show, her voice is really annoying to me. I'm not sure I can continue reading it.

I always hear whats his face say "Sookeh" whenever I read the books. He bugs me.

ANOther
09-14-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm reading The Paris Vendetta by Steve Berry and right now I'm at a part where a bunch of all-powerful movers and shakers are having a secret meeting at the Eiffel Tower, while at the nearby Invalides (for those not familiar with Paris, that's a veterans hospital complex including Napoleon's tomb) a possible bomb threat is being checked out. [Twilight Zone theme (dee-dee-dee-dee)] As I type this (15:08 CDT 09.14) the Eiffel Tower has been evacuated because of a bomb alert [/Twilight Zone theme]

alinnell
09-14-2010, 05:39 PM
I always hear whats his face say "Sookeh" whenever I read the books. He bugs me.

That's funny! I kind of like how he calls her Sookeh--to the point where I tried to convince my DS to name his new kitten Sookie! But it was a boy kitty and he thought Sookie sounded too Asian.

alinnell
09-14-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm reading The Paris Vendetta by Steve Berry and right now I'm at a part where a bunch of all-powerful movers and shakers are having a secret meeting at the Eiffel Tower, while at the nearby Invalides (for those not familiar with Paris, that's a veterans hospital complex including Napoleon's tomb) a possible bomb threat is being checked out. [Twilight Zone theme (dee-dee-dee-dee)] As I type this (15:08 CDT 09.14) the Eiffel Tower has been evacuated because of a bomb alert [/Twilight Zone theme]

Kind of creepy, huh?

L R K
09-14-2010, 05:46 PM
What do you think of it so far? I'm re-reading "City of Bones".

I am enjoying it - however I thought it was a prequel to The Mortal Instruments - it is actually set way back in the late 1800's I believe.

Even still I am halfway through so I must be enjoying it :)

L R K
09-14-2010, 05:49 PM

Hahahahaa! :lol:

I read the series before the first season of Trueblood so I didn't have the problem of hearing their voices in my head but I can totally see how annoying that could be.

Flamethrower
09-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Just finished Against All Gods, which was really interesting. I want to start reading On Liberty, but the damn thing is so thick and I don't know if I'll have time lol.

ANOther
09-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Update, turns out the Eiffel Tower bomb threat was a hoax

WillsAngel
09-14-2010, 08:38 PM
I am reading The Briar King, Dragonfly in Amber, and Shadow Dance

Sweet Tea Sweetie
09-15-2010, 02:06 AM
A Piece of Cake:A Memior ~ Cupcake Brown
It's a great book,everyone should read it.

Northern Belle
09-15-2010, 02:28 AM
Right now I'm reading Persuasion by Jane Austen. It's starting off a little slow, but since I'm now an Austen fan after having read Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility, I'll stick with it. :)

Hi,

I like these threads. I am always looking for new titles to read. I love John Irving also. I almost bought his newest but went with Barbara Kingsolver's The Lacuna instead. I am currently reading Tolstoy's War and Peace. Almost finished. I am not sure why everyone makes such a big deal about the length. It couldn't be any worse then The Lord of the Rings trilogy wh ich tons of people have completed. Anyway,I loved W & P and am now into anything Russian. Any suggestions?

Have you tried reading another one of Tolstoy's books, Anna Karenina? I haven't finished it myself yet, though. I'm about halfway through it, but I'm loving it so far.

TERAPET
09-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Northern Belle-I did recently read Anna Karenina. I really enjoyed it also. It is funny I asked about anything Russian at the same time I mentioned The Lacuna, which I have only started and not finished. I just read a review on The Lacuna and it turns out it touches on a Russian political figure from the 1950's. Cool huh?! Back to Tolstoy, if you find you are interested him, there is a movie from last year called The Last Station about his final days. Tolstoy is a very interesting man.

Shopaholic1204
09-15-2010, 02:09 PM
I am enjoying it - however I thought it was a prequel to The Mortal Instruments - it is actually set way back in the late 1800's I believe.

Even still I am halfway through so I must be enjoying it :)

It is a prequel. I thought it was a little too similar to City of Bones. Jace & Will seem alike, don't you think? I dunno..I could go on and on, but I won't ruin it for you. LOL!! I enjoyed it..but I love The Mortal Instruments a bit more. I can't wait for the 4th one to come out next year!! :carrot:

Hahahahaa! :lol:

I read the series before the first season of Trueblood so I didn't have the problem of hearing their voices in my head but I can totally see how annoying that could be.

I did too..but I went back and re-read them. SOOKEH. LoL!! It drives me crazy!!!! Haha!!

Onederchic
09-17-2010, 04:02 PM
I finished up 'While My Sister Sleeps' by Barbara Delinsky and now I am gonna start on 'A Little Ray of Sunshine' by Lani Diane Rich.

sapphire9
09-17-2010, 04:19 PM
I just finished Tracy Kidder's Strength in What Remains, Death of a Red Heroine (Mystery set in communist Shanhai) and The Skull Mantra (mystery set in modern Tibet). Am reading the latest Agatha Raisen mystery as a sort of sorbet between heavy reads. I also like Steve Berry's books. Have read a couple of them so far.

Onederchic
09-18-2010, 09:49 PM
I am also reading 'Sometimes I Act Crazy: Living with Borderline Personality Disorder' and 'Power Through Prayer'.

lizziep
09-19-2010, 01:05 AM
Lucy by laurence gonzales. so far it's really good.

ANOther
09-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Tonight start The Hunger Games

Ruthxxx
09-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Well, our last Book Club selection was so not a hit. It was The Jewish Detective Union and most of us could just not get into it although one keener ploughed right to the end.

The current selection is The Birth of Venus and most of us are enjoying it so far.

alinnell
09-19-2010, 05:09 PM

Tell me how you like it, I'm interested in reading this one, too.

ANOther
09-19-2010, 07:26 PM
Ruthxxx: It's The Yiddish Policemen's Union, isn't it? The one by Michael Chabon about a temporary Jewish homeland in Alaska?

Shopaholic1204
09-20-2010, 12:55 AM

I LOVE those books!!!!

mandalinn82
09-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Got my Kindle, see how this is going to be an expensive habit.

Last two - Mockingjay, which is the last Hunger Games book, and which I enjoyed.

Good Enough to Eat, by Stacey Ballis - She was a recommendation from Jen Lancaster (they're best friends), and her book...wait for it...HAD A POST OBESE MAIN CHARACTER. Whose life did NOT turn out perfectly after the weight loss! And who still struggles sometimes with food issues! And who starts dating only to fear getting naked in front of her new beau because she has...loose skin!! The honesty about what after-weight-loss life is like was so refreshing.

Now reading Songs for a Teenage Nomad, which was written by my high school drama teacher, and is about high school students - given that she obviously borrowed SOME from my school for setting and names, it's like a crazy high school flashback.

Onederchic
09-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Got my Kindle, see how this is going to be an expensive habit.

Last two - Mockingjay, which is the last Hunger Games book, and which I enjoyed.

Good Enough to Eat, by Stacey Ballis - She was a recommendation from Jen Lancaster (they're best friends), and her book...wait for it...HAD A POST OBESE MAIN CHARACTER. Whose life did NOT turn out perfectly after the weight loss! And who still struggles sometimes with food issues! And who starts dating only to fear getting naked in front of her new beau because she has...loose skin!! The honesty about what after-weight-loss life is like was so refreshing.

Now reading Songs for a Teenage Nomad, which was written by my high school drama teacher, and is about high school students - given that she obviously borrowed SOME from my school for setting and names, it's like a crazy high school flashback.

Yay :D

alinnell
09-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Amanda~you can get free books for your kindle. They're things in the public domain (old books) or things that are recent that people can't find publishers for. Google free books and you'll see several sites. I can't remember what one I use the most but I think it's Feedbooks, but there seem to be a lot more sites now than when I got my kindle last year.

Glory87
09-22-2010, 11:41 AM
I love my Sony digital book, I can check ebooks out of the library! The selection is spotty and very random, but I would assume as more books get digitized, the selection will get better!

I just finished reading The Nobodies Album by Carolyn Parkhurst (she wrote Dogs of Babel) and I loooooved it.

mandalinn82
09-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Oh, my free to paid book ratio is very high - so far I've bought 3, and downloaded 15 others that were free. I'm definitely taking advantage of the free stuff, but "one click" purchasing of a book that appeals to me...well, it's a little dangerous!

Onederchic
09-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Oh, my free to paid book ratio is very high - so far I've bought 3, and downloaded 15 others that were free. I'm definitely taking advantage of the free stuff, but "one click" purchasing of a book that appeals to me...well, it's a little dangerous!

I agree. I have over 700 ebooks now :o :D

shasha12
09-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Ah yes, EBOOKS. i think i would miss the turning of the actual pages. and I love putting my bookmark in a book to see how far into the story i am, haha. but my honey wants a kindle thingy, and lots of books at your fingertips does sound pretty cool... maybe i should read more about them!

Anyone ever read Siddhartha? I've always heard such good things about it, but I read it last week and found it predictable, although full of lovely quotes on living. Maybe things were lost in translation? I'm starting 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez today. It's supposed to be phenomenal, i'm excited :D

mandalinn82
09-22-2010, 03:08 PM
Shasha - I thought I would miss page turning too. Turns out - no. And Kindle has a progress bar that tracks your progress through a book, which I love.

Shopaholic1204
09-24-2010, 04:49 AM
I'm reading Mini Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella

Shopaholic1204
09-26-2010, 01:33 AM
I'm reading Wicked Appetite by Janet Evanovich.

ANOther
09-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Winding up The Hunger Games tonight (and yes alinnell, it is good). Next up Young Woman and the Ocean, about Gertrude Ederle (the first woman to swim the English Channel).

I'll get around to reading the Hunger Games sequels, but once I'm past Young Woman (and I have one other book, a medical thriller whose title escapes me at the moment), I'll have to read Play Dead (about zombie football players: just the thing for October what with Halloween and football season), then once Halloween is past I'll probably start reading Christmas stuff

alinnell
09-29-2010, 07:43 PM
Winding up The Hunger Games tonight (and yes alinnell, it is good).

Thanks!!!

I think I'm going to go for the new Ken Follett book. It's the first in a trilogy and I really liked his cathedral books.

Onederchic
09-29-2010, 08:12 PM
Football For Dummies :o :D

Shopaholic1204
09-29-2010, 08:21 PM
I'm reading The Lonely Polygamist.

Glory87
09-30-2010, 02:34 AM
That's in my library queue!

I just finished The Unnamed (http://www.amazon.com/The-Unnamed-ebook/dp/B0034DGP40/ref=sr_1_2?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285824829&sr=8-2) by Joshua Ferris (the same guy who wrote Then We Came to the End, which I ADORED).

The Unnamed started one way, then went another way. Sounds weird, but I'm not really sure if I liked it or not.

Cookc04
09-30-2010, 03:47 AM
Country Driving By Peter Hessler - 3 stories.
1st story about his drive along the great wall until he got to Inner Mongolia.
2nd Story about moving to a village near the Great wall about 2 hours from Beijing and describing it's transformation over a 3 year period.
3rd Story about his travelling around a province which has thousands of factories, and how interviews with the owners and workers.
Excellent Book, Excellent Insight. Almost finished.
Then I'll go onto Johnathon Franzen's 'The Corrections'. Finished his book FREEDOM and thought I should read his other classic.
and after that Orhan Pamuk's Istanbul - bit scared that one might not be so easy to read.