Old 08-30-2010, 11:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 182/168/135

Height: 5'5

Default Any former Weight Watchers?

Hello again!

Any former Weight Watchers on this forum?

I have done WW for years. Several years ago I lost 30 pounds on it but my latest attempt has not been successful in the slightest.

The last time I was on WW I got 24 points.. which worked well for me. I was never hungry but also never lost weight. In total I lost .8 in 2 months - which I was not happy about.

So recently I tracked calories along with points.. turns out in order to eat 1200 calories a day I need to only have 19-20 points. Now, I am eating about 20 points a day in order to keep my calories down.

Anyone else have this experience?
futureskinnygirl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW 272/CW 250.5/170

Height: 5'8"

Hi,
I did ww and lost 40 lbs in the past. All my efforts with ww since then have been unsuccessful. I believe that as an average, 1 point equates to 50 cals, so 24 points would mean you consumed 1200 calories, it may have been more than that though, because vegetables are zero points, but if you are calorie counting, you have to count them.

All the best in your weight loss.

I have been counting calories since August last year and working out, been on and off my diet during the year, but I have lost 30 lbs. My cals have ranged from 1800 to 1600, but I am trying 1400 this week to speed up my weight loss.
kbj0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:35 PM   #3  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I lost most of my weight on Weight Watchers & now maintain by counting calories
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

I have done WW successfully twice, I have dieted a total 5 times, with the exception on NoS, all were successful. This last time, I counted calories, I devised a plan for me, and I learned more about my body than I ever did following someelse's program.

With WW, they are a big business. They want one to lose but not too quickly. For those that like WW, glad you like it, but OP asked for another opinion and I would skip the points and focus on the calories and carbs. You will lose quicker, learn better, and be more in charge of your health. It is also cheaper and easier. I found 3FC to give me enough of the support I need.

I also bought a good scale, Tanita.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've been a WW many times over the years, and what isn't often made very clear is that the point recommendations aren't supposed to be set-in-stone guarantees of weight loss at each point level. The point recommendations are starting point guidelines. Most people do lose weight at their alotted points, but for those who don't, it's expected that you will adjust your plan to find the level that does work for you.

It's really not any different than calorie counting in that regard - if you want to adjust the results, you have to adjust the plan. There are a lot of different ways you can adjust your plan, and trial and error is still the best tool.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 310/235/175

Height: '5''4

I have recently started counting WW points (got an application on my Ipod). But I don't stick to a certain point. Honestly, if I go out to eat that day, I don't even control the points b/c I know I will go over them.

I also keep a journal and have for a few years now. When I first started my weight loss journey, I lost 75lbs, by changing the way I ate and keeping the journal. If I go out to eat, I do track the calories in my book (if I can find that restaurant menu nutritional facts on my Ipod or 'net). I don't always stick w/ my 1600cal limit. I go over sometimes. But I try to stay close.

That's part of the reason why I found this place, and starting to get "strict" again, and have joined a gym. I'm working on losing more weight. ::crosses fingers::
GoonieGal85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #7  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
For those that like WW, glad you like it, but OP asked for another opinion
I'm pretty sure she asked if anyone had any experience...could be wrong :P
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:19 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 306/255/160

Height: 5'6"

I did WW years and years ago, the first time I decided to actually go on a serious diet for myself (not my mother trying to get me to eat healthier) when I was about 16. I was working in a hair salon and a couple other ladies were doing it. I was kind of successful, lost about 40lbs and it was easy because it was almost like a game to me and I had fun with it. I remember that even the low end of my point allowance was a lot of food, which I loved because I was a hungry teenager most of the time!

That was as far as I went back then, and in subsequent years and weightloss attempts I tried to do WW again, and just couldn't. I found it harder than counting cals because I think it's a pain to convert calories, etc, to a point value. Also, I don't like the concept of the 0-point foods anymore, if I eat it these days I put it into my cal count. Which I think is better because I eat quite a lot of 0-point foods, and everything adds up, even veggies.

I don't dislike WW, but I think that just counting my cals, carbs, and protein grams in a straightforward way is better; this way I know EXACTLY what is going in, and I know what I'm expending. To me, that is something that I can do with or without a leader or a point-system.
swtbttrfly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:17 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 182/168/135

Height: 5'5

thank you all for your input. I am going to devise a plan of my own based on calorie counting bc it seems the easiest way for my lifestyle! yall are great!
futureskinnygirl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:27 PM   #10  

Height: 5'0"

I've been on and of WW for about 8 years. The BEST results I had were a 22 lb loss when I did their Core program. I really liked that method and try to incorporate a lot of the principals of it into my calorie counting journey so far.

I've thought about figuring out how many points I am eating because I am so familiar with it, but which program/ materials would I use? They were different every time I signed up... Lol!
leannerenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:28 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureskinnygirl10 View Post
thank you all for your input. I am going to devise a plan of my own based on calorie counting bc it seems the easiest way for my lifestyle! yall are great!
I look forward to hearing your progress
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 198/135/125

Height: 5'5"

I did WW a few years ago... initally I lost weight, but then it stopped. It stopped for so long that I was incredibly discouraged and just gave up. Now I'm counting calories and have dramatically lost weight. (I was 198 just a few months ago.)

Personally, WW didn't work for my life style... I don't know why CC did, maybe I feel more in control? Whatever it is, I'm not complaining.

Good luck with your progress and reaching your goals!
thepapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #13  
Aspiring Loser

Height: 5'9

I have also done WW a few times over the years with moderate success. The one time that I lost a major amount of weight (just over 100 lbs, and I have obviously gained it back + some) was with Calorie Counting. Where I failed was that I was too extreme with it and once I started eating "normally" again I gained weight back.. which led to eating abnormally.. but this time with way too many calories.

I am now back to CC and feeling great. I try to focus on whole and natural foods and get in my exercise. My mom does WW and loves it. She's lost a total of 40 lbs so far and looks great. I don't have anything against their program, it's just that the weight loss is too slow for me and I feel that I have far more control with CC because you can mathematically figure out your weight loss.

I also have a problem with the "free" foods. Nothing in this world is free, lol. I have more peace of mind when I count everything, even vegetables.
mamadoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 210/190/130

Height: 5'3"

I just stopped my WW membership. I did some testing to find how many calories I burn and it's about 2250.

Weight Watchers points have a huge range, 50-100 calories per point. I'd say the average point is closer to 75 calories per, especially if you're eating high fiber. Based on the points they had me on my allowance gave me around 2500 calories per day.

Seeing as I burn 200 less than that it explains why I wasn't losing, or some weeks losing just .5. .5 is okay once some weight loss has been achieved, but at my weight (205) I don't have three + years to get rid of my acid reflux and get to goal.

My nutritionist said that WW is good but their point structure is too broad for the population as a whole and I'm not the first she saw that had experiences with consistent zero losses or even gains.
YaYaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote