Old 08-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 203/200/140

Height: 5'0"

Talking 30 Day Shred! Oh my!

Hello all,

I know there are probably lots of threads about the 30DS but I have just finished day 1 and i have never been so covered in sweat (prob tmi!) in all my life! I fear i might be achey tomorrow!
I would just like to know how other people have got on with it like how many inches have people lost after the 30 days. I think i am going to have to know that it is going to actually work to be able to keep at it because it is hard hard work. Also, as i was doing some of it, I had clicky knees! Is this simply because of the extra weight i'm carrying? Should i push through it?!

Sorry about all the questions!

I feel good now for doing it and having a very good on-plan day!

Hope everyone else is feeling good!
shakeurbooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186.6/181.8/150

Height: 5'9"

I haven't kept up with it...but...I couldn't walk normal for four days after doing level 1 of 30DS. It's a great workout. I did the first one on a Saturday, and couldn't do it again until Wednesday. Then I wasn't sore (as much) and was able to follow through Thursday and Friday. Like I said, I haven't stuck with it long enough to see results, but many on here have. I also googled 30DS blogs, and many people look completely different! It's amazing. Good luck!
ade903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 210/129/127

Height: 5'2

Welcome!

I actually just finished the 30 day shred and lost 7 lbs and 11.25 inches. Truthfully I skipped a day here and there and did not eat 100% on track either.
MandaLynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #4  
marie80brown

S/C/G: 169/159/140

Height: 5'7

Today was my first day also. It was hard. Fortunately I just finished doing 4 weeks of another video which was difficult for me at first. So this video is. Like the next step up for me. But I have clicky knees also. With all the jumping I try to stay on my toes and keep my knees soft and slightly bent. But because of that I know my calfs are gonna kill me later. Keep up with it we can finish 30 days together!
marie80brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #5  
~ Jillian Junkie ~

S/C/G: 220/175ish/165

Height: 5'10

30DS is the love of my life. LOL. I kind of stopped counting, but I think I'm around day 16. My size 18 jeans were loose by day 5 and I was out of them completely by day 11 (after two days on level 2). I've lost 9 lbs on the shred alone. (I do go to the gym for cardio every so often, but not nearly as much as I did before I started the shred...and not nearly enough to help me lose weight.)

You will also gain muscle tone. So if your weight loss slows or stops at first, don't worry... you're still losing inches. (:

I swear, I feel like I look better now at 206 than I did when I was 190 last year.... (more toned)

As for the knees - I have the same problem. I have bad knees, and the only downfall of the shred is that it's really hard on them. I would just say go easy on the squats and do what you can. My knees have started to feel better now that I've dropped some weight, but 30DS still irritates them so I don't go as hard into the movements where the knees are involved. It's okay to do modifications as long as you keep your heart rate up. You don't want to hurt yourself and not be able to do it at all.

Last edited by singforthedayx; 08-10-2010 at 10:10 AM.
singforthedayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #6  

Hey Liz!! We have the same starting weight and I'm@209 right now. Thanks for the encouraging info on 30DS!

Misery loves company...you're way ahead of me in her workouts but I'm willing to try to catch up.

Have you been following any specific diet plan? Congrats on your 14Lb loss, that's fantastic!

P.S. My knees are AWFUL from yrs & yrs of running (I'm 53 now). I can not do lunges, just way too painful. I try to do a modified version (staying still and lowering in place)

Last edited by ryzmom; 08-10-2010 at 10:51 AM.
ryzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #7  
~ Jillian Junkie ~

S/C/G: 220/175ish/165

Height: 5'10

ryzmom - Nothing too strict. I try to keep my calories between 1800 -2000, but I don't really count every day because it's too much effort and it also gets obsessive after awhile lol. At least once or twice a week, I will put all my food for that specific day into Sparkpeople just to make sure I'm on target. My diet generally doesn't change much day to day, so that's usually sufficient to keep tabs on myself.

I don't follow any specific diet either. Mostly portion control. I usually eat something light like cereal or Carnation Essentials for breakfast, then a Smart Ones or Lean Cuisine meal for lunch, (though I'm weaning myself off those due to sodium. It was good to start with when all I knew how to eat was McDonalds, though... haha). I work through my dinner time on Monday's and Wednesdays. On Monday's, I'll make a sandwich or soup for lunch and eat my frozen meal for dinner. Wednesdays are almost always my designated cheat day because my co worker and I like to order out...it's our bonding thing haha. So, I'll be extra careful with my calories during the day and then go to town at night. The rest of the week is pretty much home-cooked meals for dinner. (I can't cook, but I live with two people who do so it works out good lol)

I try to listen to Jillian's food wisdom as best I can. I'm not strictly on a Jillian diet, but I do read labels and try to avoid bleached flour, trans fats and corn syrup. I try to at least make the snacks I eat organic, but can't live 100% organic because of the price. I really love multi-grain crackers with flax seeds...yum!

I also haven't 100% given up any one food. I let myself have a small fast food meal or a glass of coke maybe once a month if I have the craving. It works better for me to eat/drink it and get it out of the way than crave it so much that I eventually binge.

That's basically it. I expect I may plateau at one point later on and I'll have to tweak some things, but this works well for me for the time being. (:

Last edited by singforthedayx; 08-10-2010 at 12:22 PM.
singforthedayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 203/200/140

Height: 5'0"

Hey thanks fr the info. It definitely sounds worth it! Will keep it up and hope everyone is too so we can be there at the end together
shakeurbooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I love the 30DS, and other Jillian videos. They've been my mainstay since I restarted working out last March.

BE CAREFUL with your knees!!! I learned this the hard way - the first time I did the video, I was pushing WAY too hard (I think Jillian egging me on with "Don't phone it in" caused my competitive nature to kick in ) and, while walking down a flight of stairs immediately after my workout, had my left knee give out on me. I'm not sure what I did to it, and it's not exactly painful now, but it has never been the same. So, use modified versions and listen to your knees.

Since I rotate 3DS with other DVDs, I can't speak as to how much I've lost doing it specifically, but I can say that I credit it with a large part of the last 20 pounds I've lost, plus moving from a size 16 to a loose 12. I absolutely LOVE my thigh muscles now.

Good luck!

Last edited by JenMusic; 08-10-2010 at 01:21 PM.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:39 PM   #10  

I started the 30 day shred yesterday. My legs are really sore today. I also feel it in my arms. But oh my poor theighs! It was very hard and I pushed thru it felling very week and almost sick to my stomach when done but I felt so great! So happy I finally started it. I did however gain almost a pound overnight from the muscle weight! Thats okay though I'd rather be a tight 170 than a giggly 150, lol. Best wished to all!
pamepinto28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 184/184/144

Height: 5'6

After the first day i was soo sore i could barely get out of bed. I had to take a 3 day break before starting up again. Im on day 7 now and i havent been sore since. I have been doing it every other day but i might switch to every. A lot of people have told me I should give my muscles a day to rest. I think if my arms are tired the next day i'm gonna have a crappy work out.
I really think I'm starting to see muscles on my biceps that werent there before. I took before pics of my stomach and back but forgot about my arms. So far i love the work out. I was getting really bored with my cardio.
ape85 is offline   Reply With Quote