Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-04-2010, 11:32 AM   #1  
Lorie

S/C/G: 280/ticker/160

Height: 5'7

Red face Young mother considering WLS

Hello everyone,

I want to start by introducing myself. My name is Lorie and I am a 25 year old mother of 4 with one on the way, due in January. The reason I am writing this forum is that I have been overweight for as long as I can remember, and have been a yo-yo dieter for much of this time. By that I mean it seems like no matter what I do, I lose about ten lbs and that's it. I was always around 225lbs in my adult life (I'm 5'7), until I had my children, now I am 280lbs. I have developed high blood pressure and I'm afraid I wont be around to see my children grow up. I'm writing this because I just want some information about both the gastric bypass and the lap band from people that have actually experienced it. What are the pro's and con's? How has your life and/or your lifestyle changed since the surgery? Would you recomend having the surgery, why or why not? Just basically any information you think was important in your journey. I would love to hear your stories and get to know everybody. Of course, I'm not going to look into the surgery option until after baby #5 is born, in case anyone was wondering.

My dad asked me about the surgery, he has been overweight his whole life as well, and thought we may do it together. I had considered the surgery for years, but had no idea he was thinking about it until today. You see, my husband's cousin had gastric bypass 3 years ago, and passed away last night due to complications from the surgery he had 3 years ago! (This is why I am a little afraid of WLS).

Thanks for everything everybody, I am looking forward to hearing from you all and getting to know everyone. Have a wonderful rest of the week and fantastic weekend!
glenlorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:10 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

Hi Lorie!! good grief!!! 4 - almost 5 - little ones, and you can still write in complete sentences???? i'm impressed!!!!!

first of all - i'm so sorry about your husband's cousin. there's always a risk with any kind of surgery - and while most of us have done very well, we also have a few members who have had nightmares. fortunately, none of our group has passed away. thank goodness!!!

as for your other Qs, - please look around the threads. i'm in the middle of a freelance deadline, so i don't have a lot of time right this second. when i do get some time, i'll pop a few interesting threads into a post to get you started.

but - one point - surgery saved my life.

and another point - do your research. there's also the vertical sleeve and the duodenal switch to consider. BUT each form of surgery carries its own risks and benefits, and require followup. so, you need to figure out what you're willing to do - how you want to live - and the kind of followup care availalbe in your area.

an example: originally i wanted the band, but my surgeon said that i needed to lose a large amount of weight quickly, so he would only do a bypass for me [he said i'd probably come out with the same weight loss, but i couldn't afford to wait for the lapband]. and now, i'm happy with my choice. the whole concept of ports and getting fills just doesn't sit well with me.

BUT other people LOVE their bands - and there are many reasons to go with them.

more later, babe!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:38 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Lorie welcome to the WLS section of 3FC's. I'm glad to meet you.

I am so sorry to hear about your DH's cousin sigh. I think its really great you have the support of your father AND he'll be doing it with you if you choose. Support is one of the things my insurance company looked for when they sent me to a psychiatrist. Support of your family and friends plays a big part in your success. Its also important to not let anyone make decisions for you. You know you and what you can handle for life, so listen to your heart.

Good luck with what ever it is you choose or not choose

Leenie (Lapband)

Gee that's gotta ring to it... just call me Leenie Lapband

lol

Last edited by Leenie; 08-05-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 350/332/200

Height: 5'7

Hi! What a wonderful family it sounds like you have!!

I haven't had surgery but wanted to encourage you to research all your options. There is a surgery called duodenal switch that is gaining popularity due to it's outstanding results. I'm considering vertical sleeve because it is restrictive only (doesn't mess with the intestines) and doesn't leave a foreign object in the body like lap band. The results are said to be about equal to gastric bypass, but long term results are still unknown. So just do a lot of research ... ObesityHelp is a good website...as is dsfacts.

Congrats on your upcoming new addition! Getting healthy is the best thing you can do for your kids! (((HUGS)))
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote