Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-02-2010, 08:28 AM   #1  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat Aug 2-8

Where are our early risers today? I don't think I've ever logged in and had to start the thread before! Back with a longer post later...
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:54 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday already?

hmmmm . . .

I know one early riser who flat out forgot to start the thread, LOL.

My brain this morning was busy trying to figure out what to bring to work for my lunch since I also didn't make anything yesterday as is my want.

Finally found some (rather old) leftover kale with onions in the fridge - still smells good - so that's lunch. Along with my regular Man Salad.

Kinda an NSV that I consider a wad of kale to be a plausible lunch. Wonder if I should find the application blank to apply to be a vegetarian, LOL.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #3  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

LOL Bill, I don't know if I'd consider just plain kale a lunch, but I have had chard with some beans in it for lunch before!

My triathlon yesterday was GREAT! Full race report on the triathlon chat thread here. I met all my goals on this one and did this race a full half hour faster than last year. Too bad I can't improve by that much every year going forward, I'd be winning the race in two more years. But it was a really big improvement and I'm really happy with the results. I'll post the photos later.

Working from home today so that I could sleep in after having to get up so early for the tri yesterday. Of course Carter got confused and tried to wake us up at 5am today. Yesterday we got up at 5 and he was super sleepy, then today he's whining at the side of the bed. I was like, Carter, just because we got up at 5 yesterday doesn't mean we want to today! Luckily he went back to sleep after we petted him some. So far this morning he's been doing his usual routine of alternating sleeping in the library and in the sunny spot by the back door.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Just catching up on the weekend notes...

On the Sushi front, I'm also a novice, but had my GF who is an expert "teach" me the ways. I do like some sushi but others not so much. Eel is really good, but I don't like tuna too much. And California rolls are just boring. I absolutely LOVE a bowl of steamed edamame to start with, though! I've been known to have that for breakfast. I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

DD was home from school this weekend and we hoped to bring our kitty home, but it was not to be. My friend decided it would be best to keep them another week, take them to the vet for their first shots and let the vet determine if they're okay to be separated from the mom. I think she's most worried about the fact that all the kittens sleep in a big pile together and she doesn't think they'd like to be separated. They've been eating dry food for over 2 weeks and the mom is barely feeding them any more. We'll see, but I'm sure it'll be next weekend.

Megan~I sure hope that they've got enough oil cleaned up that it doesn't affect your area, but now they're concerned that too much dispersant was used. How would that affect what you do?

Ok, gotta run and get my hair done before I leave for work. I may check in later.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Jessica Woot! Way to go - great race.
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #6  
Workin' It

Way to go Jessica!

Allison - sorry you couldn't get the kitty home this weekend.

Bill - kale with onions sounds yummy to me. Don't know if I want to apply to be a vegetarian yet, though.

This weekend was a food trainwreck for me. Wowza. I ate pizza on Saturday, then had an evening snack that I totally didn't have the calories for, then ate everything I got my hands on all day yesterday. I don't have any idea why. I had a nice healthy salad for lunch, vindaloo chicken for dinner, also a healthy entree. Topped the two healthy meals off with candy, pringles and junk. Ick. Headachey now, figure it is from the sugar. Eating yogurt for breakfast now, will see if that helps.

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Talking Good morning all!

I completely forgot about starting the thread as I'm still on holiday. I was awake but distracted.

The cats got me up at 5 again (they really like this purring beside my head routine) and they will be sorry little monkeys tomorrow as DH is back and they are banned from the bedroom again.

I've been having a pretty good weekend re food and the weigh-in reflects this. No gain over a 4-day holiday - that's excellent for me.

I did succumb to having a beer and some popcorn last night while watching a movie. We can buy single beers here now and that's what I did. I tend to buy a premium brand since I'm only having one. That makes the splurge worth it.

I washed the windows on the eastern half of the house this morning (got too hot to finish) and they look darn good. Must do that more often.

This afternoon I'm going to treat myself to a walk down at the waterfront without any dogs. Depending on how far I walk I will then consider having an ice cream treat after dinner.

Great Monday all! It is Monday, right? Not used to this life of leisure but I'd love to have more of it.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #8  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hi all, quick post from our trip. So far, diet has been a train wreck as Shannon put it. It is not difficult to see why I was fat. My family revolves around food. I don't think I can add so high as to the number of calories. If there is a place to add fat, voila there's a quarter cup of butter. You should have seen the toast yesterday - at least 1 T of butter on an unsuspecting slice of rye toast. I tried to scrape some off but it was melting in. I leave my parents' house on Wednesday and DH's family isn't so food insane.

On the exercise front - all is excellent. DH and I biked a very hilly 21 miles yesterday and a flatter 22 miles today. We took some pics with my iphone today so I will post them and put a link up later.

Megan, I'm glad the oil hasn't hit you yet.

Sushi, yuck. I couldn't do that one.

Dagmar, a walk without dogs??!?!?! What's the point of walking if it is without canine companions?
Marie

PS It is humid in Minnesota but my parents are freezing me. The set the AC at 75 and it is SO cold. I go outside onto the deck to warm up and they don't like that because I'm anitsocial and it's too hot out there. I lose either way. If I am ever dumb enough to visit in the summer again, I will bring a parka and long johns.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #9  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Here are some of today's bike ride. The pics were taken along the West Bank of the Mississippi in Minneapolis. The first is of me...

The 2nd is of some of the steel remains from the 35W Bridge Collapse that happened on Aug 1, 2009. Scary how twisted the metal is.

The 3rd is overlooking the St Anthony Falls and Locks on the Mississippi.

The last I thought was appropriate for here. DH and I were touring the area on bikes. Here's the lazy way to do it... one Segways.

I'll probably post more on upcoming rides...
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Bill, I grew kale for the first time this year, and it's great stuff. Don't know, however, if I'd call an old wad of kale a lunch, but hope it was good.

Jessica, awesome!! That must be so satisfying to have met your goals.

Allison, sorry you didn't get your kitten yet. They'd probably sleep in a pile for as long as they are together. Did your friend ever say why she let her cat have kittens? I wish I could survey everyone because I'd like to know how to help people make sure that their cat is fixed. My friend who works at the shelter thinks it's because people don't care enough about cats--they're second-class citizens of the pet world.

Shannon, hope you're feeling better. Saturday I didn't sleep very well because of what I ate. *Sigh*

Excellent job, Dagmar! Have fun on your walk.

Marie, you didn't tell us that you're related to Paula Deen! on the Segways. Definitely looks humid there with that cloud cover. Good for you for going on such long bike rides. Great way to see the area.

My DH's birthday was on Saturday, and I ate cake. Not gluten-free cake either. My goal this week is to eat as well as I can while going out to lunch once and dinner twice and to go to the gym four times. Already got gym workout number 1 out of the way, and I did very well at lunch. My son wants to make monthly lunch dates with me--I was very touched. He's a great kid (okay, he's almost 40, but he's still MY kid).

Last edited by Sheila53; 08-02-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila53 View Post
Allison, sorry you didn't get your kitten yet. They'd probably sleep in a pile for as long as they are together. Did your friend ever say why she let her cat have kittens? I wish I could survey everyone because I'd like to know how to help people make sure that their cat is fixed. My friend who works at the shelter thinks it's because people don't care enough about cats--they're second-class citizens of the pet world.
Sheila, it's my friend's daughter's cat and the daughter didn't think it'd get pregnant so young. She was not even a year old. And she hadn't gotten around to spaying her. And she got out of her apartment. Apparently the person next door has several cats, and well, you know.

My friend IS going to have the cat spayed for her daughter. She's had numerous animals over the years and has always spayed or neutered, but she didn't have a lot of say over this one as it lived away from her. She was really quite nervous about the whole thing as she'd never had any of her animals give birth (and she'll never do it again! LOL).

I don't know about cats being second class citizens, but I know there are a lot more feral cats here than most people think and unless they're caught and fixed they just add to the kitten population in most shelters.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Thanks for finding out! That's a good piece of information to know because I'm betting if one person doesn't realize a cat can get pregnant so young, there are other people who don't know that, too. I'm really into trying to educate people so making sure people with kittens know when they should get them spayed/neutered (4 months is optimal; it can be done at 2 lbs., which is about 8-9 weeks) would be good to add to the education arsenal.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:36 PM   #13  
Working My Way Back Down

Howdy!

Sheila - the shelter here (which has just become a "no kill" shelter, yay!) won't let you take home an unneutered animal. You pay for it, they take it to the vet and you pick it up from there. They used to reimburse you for the cost, but too many people were "forgetting" to have it done. When we got our last kitty, my older cat was freaked that (a) there was another cat in her house, and (b) it smelled like the vet! But, she got over it....

TOok DH to the airport this monring. He's gone to Glacier Bay for a week with some friends of ours who live aboard their boat in the summer. I was invited, but their permit dates overlapped the only week this summer I had other plans. Darn. I'm leaving next Monday for a road trip with 3 GFs (and we had to pay for the hotel/event reservations awhile ago). DH comes home on Tues, so at least we removed the house/pet sitting necessity.

Had a very exciting shopping trip after he left. I mean, a whole afternoon in the city...... Got some secondhand books, some yarn, new "wipe your feet" rugs for by the door, new sheets, a new memory foam contoured pillow (1/2 price at Kohls), and - drum roll - a new iPad! I've been wanting one, and making pro/con lists for it vs. a kindle and a new MP3, but this will also replace lugging my laptop when I travel (it's about 5 yrs old and quite heavy). It's still charging so I can't play yet.... I have played with a friend's several times, and bombarded the sales guy at the Mac store for quite some time today, so I'm pretty happy with my decision. (DH will gripe more about the flowered sheets - just wait! )
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:55 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Default Good Morning!

My computer is running at a snail's pace this morning so I'll post in a more lengthy fashion tonite.

I'm really missing the dogs - 4 days without seeing them. I LOVE my job! Watched "Dirty Jobs" (Mike Rowe is a hottie!) last night. It was about a guy who has to trap and remove wildlife, which includes crawling around in enclosed spaces and removing dead, rotting skunks, possum cadavers, etc. Eeew!!!

I LOVE my job!

Great Tuesday all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:33 AM   #15  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Well, my "old wad of kale" for lunch was terrific.

You know, those studies that say we're influenced by those around us might just be right. I've watched the vegetarian of Middle Eastern birth who uses the same microwave as I do at work heat up a wee small dish of some veggie thing for his lunch every day. He maintains an admirable male build - without ever discussing it or diet with me. Just his veggie dish day, after day, after day.

It's contagious. Begins to make me believe that a small lunch might suffice.

Dagmar - it gladdens my heart to hear you say "I LOVE my job!" People tend to look at me strange when I say that -like it's a crime to be paid and have a good time both.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote