PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 258/starting over again/148

Height: 5'7"

Default new syndrome x'er

Hi All- New to this part of the forum.

Today I found out that I have Syndrome X. Which sort of made me happy, I know I shouldn’t be happy about having a disease like this, but it answers a lot of my questions. I have been struggling with weight for the past few years. Every time I would go to a doctor they couldn’t figure out what was wrong. I box 3 times a week and have been eating healthily for the past year but no weight loss. Finally I gave into my brother (he’s a dr) and my uncle (a geneticist) and went to see an endocrinologist. Well after a battery of blood tests and starting a cortisol test on Sunday (isn’t there a better way to test for that then peeing into a container for 24 hrs?). well anyway, the doctor called me last night to tell me that I have syndrome x but pending my cortisol test before she puts me on medication. She wants me to see a nutritionist and psychiatrist along with following her instructions.

Well I am elated to hear this news, I made a promise to myself that I will keep positive throughout this whole endeavor (lifestyle changes can be hard and I have dealt with depression before)

I am cleaning out my apartment on Sunday of all the bad stuff I have!

Suggestions are welcomed for how to cope with these changes

Thank you for being my sounding board!
amandapaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/240/200

Height: 5'6"

I think you found yourself a good doctor, and that's rare. (: I felt the same as you when I found out I had PCOS/IR... It gave me answers too.
When I read this, a hypothesis popped into my head...
If when you have depression, serotonin levels have something to do with it, shouldn't the correction of serotonin levels with anti-depressants consequently aid your weight loss? Shouldn't correct levels of serotonin keep you from over eating and having weird cravings and such? I'm definitely not an expert, that's just what I've gathered from my research.
laurenbeast is offline   Reply With Quote