Old 07-27-2010, 01:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: S/C/G 260/ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Default Super frustrated and need guidance

I keep reading threads where people are down X pounds and stall...I can't even start! I have tried WW so many time and the whole lets-all-and-smile-and-kumbaya-type thing bugs me too much, I am just not the type. I'd like to be, but its not gonna happen. I saw a therapist, no good. I heard on the radio today about something called foodaddicts dot org, but its nowhere near me. You always hear "you'll do it when you are ready, maybe you aren't ready" I am, I really am!!! Maybe I should have titled this as a whine thread... sorry. Help?? I am open for suggestions.
Disneywed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:48 PM   #2  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

WW never worked for me...I never lost weight on it. I couldn't use the weekly free points because I would GAIN weight. Just keep trying different things. Really its all trial and error until you can figure out what will work for your body. In the mean time just adding exercise for now, will help you see a difference. Start with one thing, and when that becomes habit, add something else.
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #3  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I laughed at the kumbaya classes!

I hated, hated, hated every slimming class I tried, and I've tried a few: so much cheerfulness from the leader, so little individual attention; the last one I was at we got weighed, sat down, had our weightlosses or otherwise read out, then listened to everyone else's, including those who said they refused to stick to the plan, those who said they'd eaten 2 chocolate bars and still lost 7lbs. As ever, the moaners got the attention, the good girls (me) didn't.

Oops, excuse me. Didn't realize that'd hit a nerve!

For me, all I can speak for, no amount of chivvying, or searching for motivation works in the slightest. I started this time, as the last time, by picking a 'budget' and sticking to it for one day. (I say 'budget', I started couting carbs but have done better counting calories). And it was blddy difficult. And I hated it. And I made myself do it the next day.

The only way that elusive bird 'motivation' flutters round me, is by doggedly doing something I hate, until I like it.

I don't know if that helps. Try one day healthy eating tomorrow, come **** or high water. One day. Then see if you can repeat it. And have a
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #4  
If I can; YOU Can!

S/C/G: 292/Ticker/175 height: 5'9

Height: 5'9

You really have to find what works for you. I never could follow any one elses plan, I have done my own && have lost weight just fine. It's all about balance && moderation. If you deprive yourself, I feel, you're setting yourself up for failure. Because your going to despise your plan. I eat what I want even though I gave up the foods/beverages that made me feel like crap! I've learned portion control && shrunk my stomach so it doesn't take much to fill me up anymore. It didnt happen over night, patience is going to be your greatest virtue right now sweet heart. You can do this! It is trial && error. You will learn what works for you && we are here for you.
Scilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:14 PM   #5  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

I got to WW *for* the "kumbaya" thing . I don't count points and never have. But I have an absolutely FANTASTIC WW leader that is so encouraging and helpful that it keeps me motivated for *my plan*. Basically, I count calories as that has always been the easiest and most straight forward thing to do.

What kinds of support do you think you need? How do you plan on losing the weight? What strategies and behavior changes can you maintain for the long term?

Everyone is different and some of us need others and some of us need to do it by ourselves. Some of us need to follow a structured program and some of us need to follow *our own* plan.

The basics of weight loss is straightforward and everyone knows them. Burn off more calories than you take in and you will lose weight. Eat lots of quality filling foods like veggies and get plenty of fiber and protein to maintain fullness.

How you go about doing these things and who you turn to (if anybody) is an individual decision.

Good luck to you and I hope you find something that works for you and that you can maintain for the long term.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:17 PM   #6  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

As others have said, you need to find a plan that you'll stick to. That being said, almost all plans that work long-term have some things in common:
  • Counting (carbs, calories, exchanges, servings)
  • Measuring (portion control, weighing/measuring food)
  • Moving (exercising more, even if just a little at first)
  • Metrics (regular weigh-ins, body measurements, etc.)
  • Research (books, boards, articles, doctors), and
  • Support (a diet buddy, a group, a message board, an accountability partner)

The first three are the things you DO. The fourth one is a RESULT. And the last two are TOOLS.

If you give us an idea of your plan, especially your food choices and challenges, we may be able to help you pinpoint why this plan isn't working for you.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I was "really really ready" several times and every time and ALL the time myself! What finally worked for me was giving myself a one year commitment. We talk a lot on these boards about taking one pound or ten pounds at a time because that's easier than looking at the mountain of pounds before us. Well, I couldn't face an unknown number of months ahead of me. So I set a limit on those months. I decided that for one year, no matter what the scale does, I would be on plan for one year every, every day. That one little decision has given me an amazing amount of freedom. The day I made that decision, the scale lost all its power. And I have lost 65 pounds to prove it.

I think reading here is certainly a step in the right direction! We an be a very motivating group.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #8  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Disneystall--how have you been successful in the past? I mean, how have you accomplished goals or tasks you set out to do--other non-weight related ones?

Here are a few questions to help you figure out "what works for you." (This is material I've got from a workshop I took on Goals at www.simplify101.com)

Quote:
1. In general, under what conditions do you do your best work?

2. Do you work best with a deadline?

3. Were your past accomplishments team efforts, solo acts, or a combination? Which do you prefer? Going it along or collaboration?

4. What tools or techniques did you use to track your project or the steps required? Did you use plans? Checklists? Binders? calendar? Budgets?

5. Of these tools and techniques, which works best for you?

6. In your past projects, were you accountable to others? Did this accountability help or hinder your progress? How?

7. Did you have any incentives or rewards in place after accomplishing your goal or completing your project? How did that help or hinder the process?
I have no idea if this will help you. As for motivation: you can be highly motivated and yet not quite ready for action. That's OK. It seems you need more information: you need to research different plans and either choose one or come up with your own. It's OK to take the time to do that.

Last edited by Alana in Canada; 07-27-2010 at 03:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:10 PM   #9  
Highest Known Weight: 305

S/C/G: 290.5/Tic/199

Height: 5'7"

It's hard in the beginning. I started over a month ago, and don't have a set "plan" that I intend to follow the entire weight loss journey. I joined a monthly challenge however, and committed to one month of a set calorie, exercise, and water goal. It has really helped to have accountability.

I have also followed Eliana's success and committed myself to 1 entire year of staying on the straight and narrow food and exercise wise, just to see what happens. So far, I've lost six pounds. You can do this! What's the alternative? Try to focus on the alternative of staying overweight, tired, and filled with discontent about not at least trying. Everyday you do SOMETHING positive is one step farther away from where you are today!
kallismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:05 AM   #10  

S/C/G: S/C/G 260/ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Thanks all! I am going to re-read all of these and the PMs I got from a few others and figure this out today, hopefully soon I can move that little tracker in the right direction!
Disneywed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #11  
Highest Known Weight: 305

S/C/G: 290.5/Tic/199

Height: 5'7"

Rootin for ya!
kallismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:14 AM   #12  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

ROFL---Kumbya--nope, I am not that type either..I SO understand what you are saying..

WW is a rock solid in their methods I believe. I didn't do the program--I calorie count/ed. However, their principles and core beliefs are all over the internet--FOR FREE! I use and have used many of their principles, their recipes, etc. along the way. Plus, there are many ladies here doing the program that I am sure could answer any questions you have.

It may not be the PERFECT start, but a start all the same. The main thing is to do it. You can learn, tweak and revise as you go. It's hard, it's frustrating and it's rewarding beyond words.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 07-28-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote