Whole Foods Lifestyle - Curious....

View Full Version : Curious....

L.J.
06-28-2010, 07:53 AM
What does your day "look like" on Whole Foods?

nelie
06-28-2010, 10:23 AM
It varies, for myself my usual day looks something like this:

Breakfast - smoothie. I've been doing green smoothies lately so it is usually a mix of spinach, apple, ginger, celery & cucumber. Although the other day I did a spinach, banana and berry smoothie and it was really good.

Lunch - Varies, I've been liking salads a lot lately and I don't always put the same stuff in them but the ingredients may include: romaine lettuce, celery, cucumber, mushrooms, chickpeas, kidney beans, black beans, walnuts, pecans, chopped apple, tomato or just any veggies I have around. I either top it with salsa (especially if black beans and tomatoes are involved) or galeo's ginger wasabi dressing.

If it isn't salad, then it is usually a whole grain (like brown basmati), with beans (black eyed peas are a favorite but any cooked bean) with a side of greens (depends, kale, collards, etc). My husband gets that a lot.

Dinner - Dinner is generally a lot like lunch but I try to mix it up so dinner and lunch aren't the same thing.

Snacks - Varies, my husband generally gets soy yogurt with frozen blueberries and an almond butter sandwich on sprouted grain bread every day. Fruit, hummus with cut veggies or other raw veggie dish are also frequent snacks.

gardenerjoy
06-28-2010, 11:21 AM
Mine varies, too, but here's a typical day for now when the veggies are so abundant.

Breakfast: 1/2 potato (diced and roasted), sauteed veggies, fresh herbs and a scrambled egg

Lunch: great big salad with canned wild Alaskan salmon on top and homemade salad dressing, slice of toast

Afternoon snack: homemade chocolate frozen yogurt with fresh berries

Dinner: this varies even more, but last night I had one grilled chicken thigh, 1 small potato diced and grill-roasted, green bean salad, and cucumber salad

Evening snack: homemade sorbet

nelie
06-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Oh and I should also say, my summer menu generally includes lots of fruits and raw veggies, once it cools down, I tend to eat a lot more hot cereals (oatmeal and other whole grains), winter squash and cooked veggies. So I tend to eat more seasonal because as much as I love and crave salad, eating salad when it is 20 degrees outside doesn't mesh with me plus the salad veggies tend to suck during winter.

L.J.
06-28-2010, 03:25 PM
thank you both very much....so do you keep 'track' of anything?
I can't seem to get started on how to get started :-)
Any tips?

RunnerChemist
06-28-2010, 03:42 PM
I count calories because I gained weight just eating healthy food. An average day looks like this for me:

Oatmeal with nuts, dried fruit and cinnamon and a little brown sugar or honey. Coffee with cream

Lunch is whole grain bread (preferably home made, but not always) vegetables and a protein source like hummus, a hard boiled egg or cottage cheese, and fruit. Afternoon snack varies, but I like popcorn (I make it at home and bring in a baggie of it to eat.)

Dinner is a huge salad with beans of some kind, carrot, spinach, cabbage, kohlrabi, whatever looks good at the grocery store or farmers market. I usually add a protein like tofu, a veggie patty, quinoa with my beans, or occasionally chicken. I use cottage cheese for dressing or a vinagrette my husband makes that is delicious. We always have frozen berries on hand for desserts, or my husband makes kettle corn.

This menu varies, and I make lots of soup in the winter. I still have some processed foods in my diet, like veggie patties and granola bars.

I started by just trying to get more vegetables in and less bread and processed foods out. I cook once a week, so I eat the same three meals for a week, but it doesn't bother me. Salad is pretty variable and I can add or delete things to make it more interesting.

Enjoy!

nelie
06-28-2010, 03:50 PM
I would say just start eating more non processed foods. What do you eat now?

Glory87
06-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Here is my menu today:

B - Trader Joe's fat free greek yogurt with honey, 6 oz blackberries

L - big taco salad - seasoned ground turkey, romaine, pico de gallo, red cabbage, shredded carrots, a few tortilla strips, topped with green salsa

S - tall non fat latte

S - cherries - 6 oz

S - soup - tomatoes, leeks, spinach, summer squash, chickpeas

L.J.
06-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Thank you everyone...you have all been so enlightening.

gardenerjoy
06-29-2010, 01:40 AM
I'm also quite capable of overeating healthy food. I have to count something to keep it under control. At the moment, I'm following the diet in The Complete Beck Diet for Life. This is the third plan I've tried because I plateau every twenty pounds and it seems to help to switch things up.

Many diets will work with whole foods -- diabetic exchange plans, the food pyramid that the government does, calorie counting, Weight Watchers, South Beach, etc.

L.J.
06-29-2010, 06:44 AM
I have to agree...they all really can work using whole foods regardless of what weight loss program you use. Never thought of it that way..good point :-) Guess it's all about making the right choices.
Does wine fall into the Whole Food categories anywhere??
What about Lite Soy (milk) versus Fat Free Milk, cheeses...what do you think the 'better' choices are for these?
I did go to my pyramid and printed off a grid. They based it on1600 calories for me? Yikes that seems like a lot! It's pretty interesting, though. It tells you what and how much of what you should be taking in.

RunnerChemist
06-29-2010, 10:06 AM
I try to buy organic and unprocessed where I can, but wine, beer and chocolate still fit in my diet.

gardenerjoy
06-29-2010, 12:10 PM
I lost the first forty pounds at 1600 calories or more. I've recently gone closer to 1500 to keep it moving. Try 1600 calories and see!

I drink wine and other alcohol, but only rarely. I would check the ingredients on things like lite beer or wine spritzers, but microbrewed local beer feels like a good choice to me. There are documented health benefits to red wine! I'd rather eat calories than drink them, so this is a treat that I have less than once a month.

I read some stuff about soy that scared me off. Some nutritionists claim that soy is toxic and the only safe way to eat it is fermented -- soy sauce, miso, tempeh. So, I go for fat free milk over soy milk. But others may make a different choice. There are definitely a lot of processed foods that have "soy" in the name. I don't know if soy milk is one of them or not.

There a lot of cheese foods that are processed foods -- so I choose a real honest-to-goodness parmesan or aged cheddar over Laughing Cow or string cheese. And, then, I'm careful with my portion size since it's one of the higher fat foods that I eat.

olivia627
06-29-2010, 12:11 PM
I've been doing green smoothies lately so it is usually a mix of spinach, apple, ginger, celery & cucumber.

Nelie, could you explain how you make your smoothie? How do you break down the celery and ginger? Do you use a blender or smoothie machine? Thanks!

olivia627
06-29-2010, 12:18 PM
I lost the first forty pounds at 1600 calories or more. I've recently gone closer to 1500 to keep it moving. Try 1600 calories and see!

I did the same thing a few years back. I stuck with between 1500 and 1600 calories of SuperFoods daily, with no exercise*, and still lost 2 to 3 lbs per week.

*Initially, I was walking in the mornings, but started a new job and it threw my walk schedule out of whack. So, even after stopping my exercise, the pounds still came off with the calorie counting.*

L.J.
06-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Wow, so much great information!
I picked up some nuts...almonds, cashews, macadamia, and soybeans.
What I'm gonig to do is "measure" an 1oz of the mixed first 3 and an oz of the soybeans....a healthy snack?? What'd ya think? Also picked up cherries and strawberries...fruits are tough for me, but these I can handle.
Gardenerjoy...thanks for the info about the soy milk and cheese.
I'm not a beer drinker but I do enjoy a glass of wine on the weekend.

nelie
06-29-2010, 04:27 PM
L.J. - Living a Whole Foods life doesn't mean that all your foods are non processed but basically you do the best you can. Even milk goes through a process to be created unless you buy raw milk. I do some almond milk which even though I could make it myself, I don't. If you like wine, I'd say include it (in moderation) in your diet.

nelie
06-29-2010, 04:28 PM
Nelie, could you explain how you make your smoothie? How do you break down the celery and ginger? Do you use a blender or smoothie machine? Thanks!

I use a blender, right now I have a vitamix but you could use other blenders as well. I've heard of people making green smoothies in magic bullets.

Pacifica Bee
06-29-2010, 06:17 PM
My days vary, but lately my breakfast/lunch/ snacks have been pretty similar:

B: fancied up bowl of oats (add in flax seed, chia seeds, apple, blueberries, strawberries, cinnamon and made with spiced tea instead of water)

snack: 1/4 c. raw cashews

lunch: huge bowl of mixed veggie salad (spinach, greens, mushroom, peppers, snap peas, celery, carrots, tomatoes with lemon juice); slice of sprouted spelt bread, 1 tbs almond butter, 1 c. cantaloupe

snack: (if needed) piece of fruit or 1 oz cheese or 1 tbs cashew butter

Dinner: always varies. last night I had Citrus Couscous and Orange Roughy salad (got the recipe from Clean Eating magazine - I recommend this mag to everyone!!) Broccoli Salad (typical, but I didn't use gross mayonnaise and instead used Greek yogurt and tahini as the base) and some watermelon.

I count calories vigorously and stay right around 1400 calories. I use a kitchen scale. I couldn't live healthfully without it!

olivia627
07-01-2010, 12:23 PM
I use a blender, right now I have a vitamix but you could use other blenders as well. I've heard of people making green smoothies in magic bullets.

Cool! I've got TWO Magic Bullets!!! I rarely use them, but this sounds like as good a reason as any to pull them back out. Thanks!!

Handbags66
07-03-2010, 09:08 PM
I also make green smoothies in a regular blender. It has a smoothie setting on it though.

For breakfast, I eat oatmeal w/ a teaspoon of almond butter mixed it. That is super yummy!.

My snacks are usually almonds or a bit of dried fruit w/ yogurt.

Lunch is a salad or a grilled veggie wrap. Lunch is my biggest meal because I need to feel "full" during the day.

When i crave chocoalte, I have a bit of dark chocoalte to take the edge off.

Dinner is chicken or fish w/ a small potato and a veggie.

I get bored easily so I also like to eat egg whites for breakfast. I make an omlet w/ a little bit of feta and fresh spinach. Super yummy!

L.J.
07-04-2010, 06:32 AM
I'm still working at this. I'm an all or nothing at all type of person :-(
If I mess up during the day, my whole week suffers.
I'm still a work in progress and love reading all the wonderful ways you all work your day, eating healthy.
Handbags your lunch sounds de-lish...what exactly do you do...I am a BIG veggie person
Today is a new day...even though a Holiday. Just have to do it.
Everyone have a safe and enjoybable day...Happy Birthday America.......
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Handbags66
07-04-2010, 09:41 AM
L.J.: I take one of the high carb 100 calorie wraps then pre-grill my veggies. I like onion, mushroom and asparagus. For added flavor I will sometime sprinkle just a bit of parmesean cheese then fold it over like a quesadilla. I pair it with a cup of yogurt and a small fruit. Very filling and delish!

gardenerjoy
07-04-2010, 11:04 AM
L.J. -- been there in that all or nothing space. I recently lost 40 pounds but it's the same 40 pounds that I had off two years ago. And one of my downfalls was getting into local, organic, homemade foods. For awhile there, I got into a space where if I couldn't have the perfect meal with the perfect ingredients, I might as well eat junk! Obviously, that didn't work very well for me and I put on 40 pounds in a year while eating a lot of local healthy foods AND a lot of junk.

Some books really helped me get back on track.
The End of Overeating by David Kessler got me to cut out the junk food cold turkey. He explains how food is engineered and marketed in ways that are calculated to make it darn near irresistable to those of us who are susceptible to that.

The books by Judith Beck use Cognitive-Behavioral Techniques to help you stick to your food plan. The Beck Diet Solution will help you stick to any diet of your choosing. The Complete Beck Diet for Life has a healthy diet in it. If you read one of the Beck books and like it, we have an active support group going on at 3FC -- join us!

loveAcat
07-05-2010, 04:08 PM
My days also usually vary, but this is a typical day for me:

Vit D and multi-Vit

milk, skim, 1 cup
oatmeal, 1/2 cup
flaxseed, 1 Tbsp
blueberries, 1/4 cup
grapefruit, 1

1 banana

2 cups lentil soup (homemade, with onion, celery, carrots, tomatoes)
1 apple
1 peach

1/2 med squash
2 Tsbp Hummus

2 c roasted beets
1 egg, fried
1 whole wheat muffin

I think I could have had a wider variety of vegetables for dinner... :)

also, I started roasting pans of vegetables (zucchini, squash, mushrooms, asparagus, peppers, onions, eggplant, etc) on the weekend, and I use the roasted vegetables in sandwiches, on salads, or as a side for dinner.

one thing I'm not so good at is getting enough dairy. I'm working on that though :)

L.J.
07-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Handbags....I did the veggie wrap...fantastic! I used fresh zucchini, mushrooms, red and orange peppers, aspargus (all cut up) on a "new" item I found. (I've never seen it before)...Aritsan 100 calorie 5 Grain Flax Fold It flatbread. Totally enjoyed it. Next time I will try the wrap. Thank you for the suggestion.

Question...soy sausage, soy noodles.....a good whole food choice?

Jermsgirl
07-09-2010, 08:04 PM
I've been following the clean eating principles, which are basically the same as whole foods. I typically eat 6 meals a day.

B- Kashi cereal with fruit or 7 grain pancakes with berries and pure maple syrup, or oatmeal with nuts and fruit or egg white with veggies- I tend to lean towards the sweeter side, so I usually don't have the eggs.
Snack- nuts with fruit or veggies and hummus or a clean bar
Lunch- salad with brocoli, cranberries, sunflower seeds and then a ranch/terryaki dressing (only 1 Tbsp. I know it isn't clean, but I have the hardest time giving up my dressings), or a tuna sandwhich on Ezekial bread/homemade bread or some eggs or just veggies with fruit
Snack- protein shake or nuts or veggies or a small wrap with avacado, sour cream and salsa
Dinner- veggie burger or chick with veggies or another salad with whatever I have on hand or whole wheat pasta with homemade sauce, etc. I can throw anything together cause I'm not picky. As long as I have stuff on hand I'm good.
Snack- typically Kashi cereal with berries. If I haven't had a banana I will put some peanut butter on it (fresh with no additives or sugar) and eat that. But usually it's a bowl of cereal.

I'm pretty active and eat when I'm hungry. I've been eating like this for 7 weeks now and have lost 12 lbs. and a pants size. :) Hope this helped!

nelie
07-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Question...soy sausage, soy noodles.....a good whole food choice?

If something comes in a package, it generally isn't a whole food :) Don't fret though!

My general rule is minimally processed. If something has fewer than 5 ingredients, it is a good sign but still wouldn't consider it whole foods. Also, I wouldn't get too caught up in making sure everything you eat is whole foods, just the majority of things you eat. So I might have a veggie burger or even things like hemp protein powder but as long as the rest of my food is based on things that don't come in packages, then I'm good.

Although still not really whole foods, I've made my own gluten sausages in the past. They are actually really easy to do although if you start from whole wheat flour, it takes a bit of time. (vital wheat gluten is the short cut)

gardenerjoy
07-10-2010, 12:11 AM
For soy sausage, I make these Tempeh Sausage Crumbles (http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/index.php?RecipeID=125).

My favorite noodle at the moment are buckwheat noodles, or what the Japanese called soba.

Tempeh and soba noodles come in packages. Not so much minimally processed as traditionally processed? Nelie's right. Don't fret. You get to make your own rules at this -- and that's part of the fun!