Old 06-27-2010, 10:04 PM   #1  
Charity

S/C/G: 177/170/135

Height: 5'1

Default metabolism boosting pills?

Hiya.

I used to be active on this site at the beginning of the year.. Lost a few lbs, and got completely back into my normal way of living but I'm back. Lost a few lbs again, and am trying to get down to my goal weight this time around!

My diet's going great, and my exercise isn't even that bad! And I never thought I'd say that..

But I have a question some of you can hopefully answer. I'm worried about my metabolism, and I was looking into getting onto metabolism boosting pills to help along my weight loss that are preferably aimed at women. Does anyone have any experience with these? What have you found helped your appetite/energy?

Any feedback is awesome, I feel like any customer reviews online elsewhere are made up/biased.

Thank you!!
cdemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:49 PM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I doubt very much that there's a pill you can take to raise your metabolism enough to impact weightloss. There's stuff like green tea which is thought to give it a little bump, but it's marginal.

If there was some metabolism pill I would have found that baby

Honestly? I think all of those products are snake oil.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:26 AM   #3  
Newbie Nurse

S/C/G: 285/250/281

Height: 5'9"

If you're truly worried about your metabolism, have your hormones checked by an endo. It's a huge help to know if you're estrogen dominant, not releasing much HGH, have high levels of cortisol...etc.

Read up on natural ways to boost/fine tune your metabolism before looking into pills. They don't give but a tiny boost if any. If that's case, you could just drink herbal tea and eat cayenne.
JMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:56 AM   #4  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Like the other 2 posters, I'm always suspicious of things that say they will boost your metabolism or weight loss pills etc.
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:25 AM   #5  
banned

S/C/G: 222/136/?

Height: 5'10

There are pills and things out there that will boost your metabolism but they are not a good idea to use. They may help in the short run but if you really want to lose weight and KEEP it off you need to look at the big picture. That means not taking the easy road out. Long term weight loss is all about eating healthier, self control, and exercise. Sorry I can't be of much more help but sometimes the truth is best.

Last edited by benchmarkman; 06-28-2010 at 06:26 AM.
benchmarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:33 AM   #6  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

My advice would be to make sure you're eating small meals continuously throughout the day. Instead of just three meals a day make sure you have snacks throughout the day as well. And definitely make sure you eat breakfast, even if you aren't a breakfast person.

When I eat throughout the day like I'm supposed to I see a huge difference in when I'm hungry because my body is actually craving fuel - I think this is the best way (IMO) to increase your own metabolism.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 131/100/70 kg

Height: 167 cm

I once asked my nutritionist about it (brird of a feather flock together I guess) and she just said:

"No sorry, no one invented that yet."

But she did gave me a good advice. She said that the best metabolism boost is slowly making my exercise habits more intense. She did not expect me to start running 10 kilometers from one day to other, but she said that making myself exercise progressively from 10 minutes to 15 minutes to slowly to eventually 1 hour a day would do wonders. And she was right. It did!
preetyladyserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #8  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

if your referring to supplemens that help your thyroid, then yes, they exist, but you have to be officially diagnosed by and endo with a thyroid condition. If your referring to OTC "fat loss" pills-- well... basically they are "metabolism boosters" The stimulant effect will have a NEGLIGABLE impact on your metabolism. What makes them slightly more effective is that they give you more energy, which causes you to be a little more active, thus increasing your caloric burn, or your NEAT (non-exercise activity, like fidgiting, or pacing while you talk on the phone). You are better off just making a concious decidion to increase your NEAT
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #9  
Charity

S/C/G: 177/170/135

Height: 5'1

Thanks for the advice ladies. But I did go out and ended up buying Slimquick Ultra for Women per advice from a friend who's been using it with her diet. It's done quite a bit so far as I can tell. I've lost 4 lbs in the last week. compared to fighting for 1 or 2.
cdemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 227/227/160

Height: 5'6

Default Everyone says no, but I have a different opinion.

I find myself struggling with the same issue. I eat well and exercise and my metabolism has always seemed to be slower. Some people can eat the same or more than me and be thinner. Guess thats why we are all different. I am taking a combination of Womens Ultra Sport, which has a little boost of something or other for active women. I'm not a hardcore workout junkie, but the vitamin world lady suggested it since she saw me in my exercise clothes. I recently added B-12 (recently as in took the first pill this morning) on a friends suggestion, that is suppose to boost metabolism. Now the following article is from wikipedia and it says its involved in the metabolism of the cells, which may be different (I'm not saying I'm certain) than metabolizing the breakdown of food. Anything your body can't produce on its own that you assist with vitamins has got to be a good thing, right? I mean if it comes down to taking diet pills or vitamins, which one would you be more likely to try to get a healthier result? I'm not saying Slimquick is a bad idea, I have that myself and it makes me not think too much about food, but personally Slimquick makes me feel jittery. I have been drinking L-Carnitine and it helps metabolize fat and assists in muscular energy. I feel no side affects while taking it, other than slight nausea if I dont immediately eat something. i don't feel jittery, i just feel awake. I feel like I have energy to do things. Not run a marathon, but put my sneakers on and go to the gym or for a walk. It makes me not crave food or think too much about food - I feel hungry with my stomach more than with my brain, if that makes any sense.

"Vitamin B12, vitamin B12 or vitamin B-12, also called cobalamin, is a water soluble vitamin with a key role in the normal functioning of the brain and nervous system, and for the formation of blood. It is one of the eight B vitamins. It is normally involved in the metabolism of every cell of the body, especially affecting DNA synthesis and regulation, but also fatty acid synthesis and energy production. As the largest and most structurally complicated vitamin, it can be produced industrially only through bacterial fermentation-synthesis."
RoseThorns is offline   Reply With Quote