Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-24-2010, 01:38 PM   #1  
science nerd

S/C/G: 302/ticker/151

Height: 5'8"

Default Curry Tuna Salad (also great with chicken)

Hello everyone! I wanted to share this great recipe with you that I discovered. It's based on a higher calorie version that I found on Sunmaid's website (they have awesome recipes - http://www.sunmaid.com/en/recipes.html). It's a curry tuna salad, and it's absolutely divine!

1/3 cup light miracle whip
2/3 cup (6 oz) plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1 cup raisins*
1/2 cup diced scallions
10 oz chunk light tuna

1. Mix miracle whip, yogurt, and curry powder in a medium bowl.
2. Add raisins and scallions.
3. Stir in tuna

Makes 6 servings

1016 calories in the entire recipe
170 calories per serving

* You can cut calories to 126 per serving if you use 1/2 cup raisins

Also, it's a pretty wet recipe. You could probably save some calories by using less miracle whip and yogurt.

This would also be awesome made with chicken, and you could use normal yogurt instead of Greek yogurt. I don't even know what the difference is between the two, but the grocery store only had giant containers of plain yogurt available, so I bought a small Greek yogurt instead, and it worked out great.
shadowclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #2  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

For over 15 years, I've been making a version of this recipe that appeared in Jane Brody's Good Food book, though it differs slightly in that you use no mayo, but a bit of olive oil, and add crushed cashews. Also, instead of mixing in tuna or chicken, she recommended using the fake crab. I've also tried it with a mixture of the fake crab & lots of tiny little cocktail shrimp. The latter mixture has been one of my "signature" potluck dishes, which people have asked for & absolutely devoured. (I put a little label out warning about the cashews in case of nut allergies.)

Last edited by saef; 06-24-2010 at 04:48 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote