Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-24-2010, 09:39 AM   #1  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

S/C/G: 463.1/273/170

Height: 5' 5 1/2

Default I really need to read lables better

So for the last two weeks I have been throwing up my vitamins more often and having an upset tummy alot, well wednesday I had a dietitans appointment and she wanted me to bring all my vitamins and suppliments and that is when I found out i dont read lables well.
Two weeks ago I decided to grab some more vitamins and ADEK as well as Nectar Protein from the hospital pharmacy here where I had my surgery (the dietitans got them to carry the stuff) Anyway I was in a rush cause they were 30 mins from closing, there was a big line And I hurt a lot from standing in line so that is my excuse anyway... I looked up and saw what I thought was Bariatric Advantage ADEK in orange and not the nasty tropical flavor I dont like at all. the price is the same and I was grabbing fusion at teh same time and asking the person if they had the flavor I want and so I just grabbed it.
ends up it was BA's version of a chewable multi-vit without any special ADEK in it and for 2 weeks I was taking 3 of them on top of my 4 Fusion which already maxes even me out on quite a few of my vitamins, this means for 2 wks I had been getting a ton of extra vitamins which is not always good for you.
the Dietitian and I talked about it and she looked at my ADEK and said even they have alot of extra vitamins and since I have most of a bottle I could start taking 3 fusion and 2 ADEK and then just buy one 200 to 400mg vitamin K suppliment.
So now I have an extra $34 bottle of vitamins to give my mom on top of the nearly 500 Iron Sulfate tablets I got for $15 which are the WRONG kind and are part of why my tummy has hurt so much. so now I get to buy Vit K and Iron Fumerate which thankfully I only take half of one every other day.

I feel like a dork BUT it shows me that I need to be on top of things with this surgery and pay attention!
SpookyXXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #2  
Not Giving Up

S/C/G: 167/145/110

Height: 5'0''

I'm glad you got things figured out Taking too many vitamins can be bad. And hey, least your mom gets some free vitamin swag!
chemicalksm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:09 PM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

In just 2 weeks, you should be okay now that the error has been corrected. And it's an easy mistake to make! But I'm glad it was caught before you'd been going on for months! For many vitamins, it would be difficult to get too many, but you're right that there are some where high levels can be dangerous (B6 comes to mind immediately, high levels of which can even cause peripheral neuropathy). I actually had to cut back on my B vit supplements because of high B6 levels.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote