PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:12 AM   #1  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

Default PCOS and Gluten

According to this article,there is a connection between PCOS and sensitivity to gluten.

Quote:
Smith said that 85% of her PCOS clients test positive for a sensitivity to gluten. When these women remove gluten from their diets they often see a marked improvement in their PCOS symptoms. She has also seen dramatic improvement in cholesterol levels, thyroid function and weight loss in women who have changed their diets to avoid gluten.
Perhaps women with PCOS need a gluten-free diet rather than a low carb diet?

Thoughts and opinions?
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I kind of don't know if I'm convinced yet- because if that were true- then growing up rice wouldn't have been a problem for me either because rice is gluten free yet I can't eat too much of it either or my loss stalls and I feel ill. Anytime I hit over 35% carbs that's it- no loss. And most of the carbs I do eat supposedly don't contain gluten so if that were the case I'd probably continue to lose even if hitting over 35% carbs.

I read some other articles about how people felt like crap after eating a high carb meal with gluten. Well I know for me, if I eat a lot of potato I feel very ill, and potato has ZERO gluten in it. And by "a lot" I mean a small sized portion of fries.

If you cut gluten out of your diet you are probably cutting out a lot of carbs anyways- so it probably really is just the carbs in the end.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I wasn't considering it for PCOS -- I was thinking about it today for allergies/nose congestion.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

I already limit my gluten and I see a difference in my energy levels, skin rashes, and stomach issues. On special occasions I can handle some white pasta or Italian bread as a treat, but mostly if I'm craving pasta or a wrap for a sandwich I stick to brown rice products. I limit my potatos to only yams (they are supposed to have a positive effect on insulin and hormones). My newest thing I'm trying starting today is to eat all my grains before dinner!
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 95/Ticker/70

Height: 170cm

This is an old thread but I am putting my two cents. I completely agree but only because I am gluten intolerant, have cysts on my thyroid and have had PCOS since I was 15. The gluten thing though I only discovered about a year and half ago.

Even though I am sensitive to all carbs, when I eat something with gluten in it, I get tired, my thyroid swell up and my period (which has been fairly regular) becomes irregular. I dont know if that's the case for everyone but in my case its definitely true
mascara blue is offline   Reply With Quote