General chatter - Clothes you wouldn't be caught dead in

LovebirdsFlying
06-03-2010, 08:30 AM
I have a definite list of clothes I wouldn't wear if I was paid to model them.

Number one on that list is the muumuu (http://compactbydesign.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/muu-muu.jpg). I think this is emotional baggage leftover from the days when big women wore muumuus because that's all that was available to them. The trouble is, those big round puffy muumuus make even thin women look ginormous. How can any woman look good in something shaped like a tent, especially when it's so boldly patterned that it enters the room five minutes before she does? When I want the convenience and comfort of a muumuu, I'll wear a sundress (http://fashiontribes.typepad.com/main/images/glam_ax_floral_sundress.jpg) instead.

Also on my list:

Polyester knit slacks (http://media.redcatsusa.com/is/image/roamans/mm/0525_33387_mm.jpg?wid=230&hei=331&qlt=95&op_sharpen=1). You know, the kind with the all-around elastic waist, usually bright-colored, and with a sewn-in crease up the front of the legs. I've rarely seen anyone under the age of 60 wearing them.

Swimdresses (http://www.plussizeclothing4me.com/images/swimdress.jpg). These were forever touted as the "fat woman's" bathing suit, to "hide" those big thighs. Nothing like wearing a stereotype, to advertise to the world that you're trying to hide something. I do a tankini (http://cache.jcpenney.com/storeimages/large/0900631b817e25e8L.jpg) instead. All the coverage of a one-piece, with the convenience of a two-piece. No, the bottom half of my tankini does not have a skirt.

Solid black (http://www.womensdresses.us/black-dress-530.jpg). While the LBD may be cute on many women, I'm rebelling against, "No, no, dear. You can't wear red. You have to wear black. It's slimming." Oh, bite me. I'm not going to look skinny in anything I wear, so don't take choice away from me. Even at a funeral, I won't wear solid black unless I pair it with a bright color, or white.

Thong underwear. For reasons I'd rather not say. Or show.

Bermuda shorts (http://s7ondemand7.scene7.com/is/image/NewYorkCompany/03289313_929.jpg). I don't know, when I was a kid it seemed like all the fat ladies wore them. I like for my shorts to be hemmed midway between the hip and the knee.

What's on your no-no list?

astrophe
06-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Clothing is all relative to time, place, budget, and personal style.

For instance, I won't wear anything muumuu-ish here. But in Hawaii? Costa Rica? Get me on vacation over there and I might! Those types of hot places evolved loose cotton dresses for a reason. But I do prefer the Guami style of solids with accents to big all over floral ones.

I'm not keen on thongs, super high heels, clothing that's too fussy to launder, animal prints, and neon colors. I'm also not keen on things so short that don't pass the toe test. (Bend over and touch your toes and take a gander at the rear view in a mirror. )

A.

nelie
06-03-2010, 10:10 AM
I grew up in a city that a lot of polynesian families so they often wore muumuus because that was their culture but I never saw anyone else wearing them. A lot of them looked really nice and the women were of all different sizes. When I went to Hawaii, I bought a dress there, it wasn't a muu muu but it was a similar style.

I'm not sure I have anything on my will not wear list, it really depends on the clothes.

I could say I'd never wear bright pants but who knows if that would be true tomorrow.

I would've also said that I would've never worn primary black on top and bottom but then I went to White House/Black Market and found some fabulous clothes. I'd totally wear my black jeans with my black beaded top or other tops I got there.

In the past, I would've also said I would've never bought long tops. It seems many overweight women buy long tops to cover their belly. I never saw the point. Yesterday, I wore a fabulous tunic top though.

saef
06-03-2010, 10:24 AM
I've said this before, when someone else asked this question: Anything worn by the cast of the TV shows Jersey Shore, Jerseylicious and Jersey Couture.

A branch of female relatives used to come up to Pennsylvania from New Jersey & influenced some of the Pennsylvania relatives' tastes. While I looked on in horror. And refused to grow out my nails or get fake ones, tease up my hair, use a tanning bed or tanner from a bottle, or buy any clothing they thought was "cute."

In their way, they looked great, but it is definitely not MY way.

Glory87
06-03-2010, 10:32 AM
I absolutely adore swim skirts. I'm a pear shape and my big thighs are my nemesis. Plus, I just love skirts in general and think swim skirts are adorable!

What I wouldn't be caught dead in:

Long, tunic style sweaters. That was my fat girl uniform!

Skinny jeans - I need a flared hem to balance out my hips.

nelie
06-03-2010, 10:38 AM
oh yeah skinny jeans. My butt is just too out there, I'd definitely look like an ice cream cone in skinny jeans.

There are also definitely a lot of cute swim skirts/dresses although I've had some trouble swimming in them in the past due to the skirt rising up. I recently bought some swim shorts, those do well.

Optical Goddess
06-03-2010, 10:44 AM
Skinny jeans- I look like an icecream cone.
supershort anything- I don't like having to sneak up on a waterfountain or stragegize before sitting in a chair, on the other hand I love maxi dresses. I love anything long.

Polyester slacks: there's a woman who gets her nails done at the same place I do and she has those. Her whole outfit looks so fussy, like too perfect. She probably things she looks 'smart', but she comes off as old.

Bolero jackets: Just don't understand it. It doesn't keep me warm or anything, and accents what I don't want accented.

thongs: yes, I can totally feel that, and yes, I've tried multiple sizes/brands...just not for me.

Stirrup Pants: I don't ride horses. This is a throwback from when they were first hoisted upon the public and my mother tried to talk me into them....

caryesings
06-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Tube tops. Bra size is 34GG. 'Nuf said.

nelie
06-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Oh the tube tops and tube dresses. I see those and think, what? Are you crazy. I know a girl who used to insist on wearing those but wore a bra underneath but you saw most of the bra. It didn't look cute.

Rochester
06-03-2010, 12:34 PM
One of the horrifying fashion moments when I gained weight was when I could no longer fit into junior size pants. Why do womens/misses pants always have about 45 inches of fabric between the crotch and the waistband? Your choices are to either pull the waist up around your neck or have the crotch hang down to your ankles. WTH? :mad: I refuse to ever get so fat that I have wear those again!

Another major dislike is flower print. Why does walking into the plus size section of a store make you feel like you took a wrong turn into a greenhouse? Who decided fat women look fabulous in flowers?

And those weird shorts for old and/or fat women. They're like capris but the leg is cut about 3 foot wider than your actual leg and they usually come in pastels like yellow or pink. Or sweatshirts with cutesy things like puppies or sunflowers or barns.

Pants OR shirts with elastic waistbands. Anything polyester. Plastic shoes.

LovebirdsFlying
06-03-2010, 02:35 PM
For instance, I won't wear anything muumuu-ish here. But in Hawaii? Costa Rica? Get me on vacation over there and I might! Those types of hot places evolved loose cotton dresses for a reason. But I do prefer the Guami style of solids with accents to big all over floral ones. Me too. :) I think I just have issues with anything a fat woman is "supposed" to wear.

I'm also not keen on things so short that don't pass the toe test. (Bend over and touch your toes and take a gander at the rear view in a mirror. ) Moon over Miami?

oh yeah skinny jeans. My butt is just too out there, I'd definitely look like an ice cream cone in skinny jeans.

There are also definitely a lot of cute swim skirts/dresses although I've had some trouble swimming in them in the past due to the skirt rising up. I recently bought some swim shorts, those do well.

:D at the "ice cream cone." Last year I had a skirted tankini. It was all I could find, and I wore it until I could find a brief bottom. I also had problems with the skirt floating to the top, in a hot tub.

Oh the tube tops and tube dresses. I see those and think, what? Are you crazy. I know a girl who used to insist on wearing those but wore a bra underneath but you saw most of the bra. It didn't look cute.

Jeff Foxworthy said, "If you wear a dress that is strapless with a bra that isn't, you might be a redneck." :lol: Seriously, where I went to school, girls didn't DARE wear tube tops or tube dresses. They even had problems wearing halter tops, or anything else that easily came unfastened from the back. It didn't matter what the girls looked like. It was the neighborhood boys that caused the problem. Sneak. Tug. AAAAAAUGH!

nelie
06-03-2010, 02:50 PM
One of the horrifying fashion moments when I gained weight was when I could no longer fit into junior size pants. Why do womens/misses pants always have about 45 inches of fabric between the crotch and the waistband? Your choices are to either pull the waist up around your neck or have the crotch hang down to your ankles. WTH? :mad: I refuse to ever get so fat that I have wear those again!

We must have drastically different body types :) Most jeans are below my belly button or at my belly button. I've found a lot of misses jeans that were way too low. I have a sizeable bottom so they end up not covering my butt entirely.

I've never worn junior sizes.

Oh and elastic... I about cringe when I see elastic on pants.

roxmysox
06-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Anything with huge flowers. Why do they put such big ugly flowers on plus sized clothes? I was at Target yesterday, and that's all they had!

All white. Not only am I a disaster waiting to happen in all white, it just doesn't flatter me.

Anything strapless or (aside from a bra) depends on the girls to hold anything in place.

Glory87
06-03-2010, 05:22 PM
I also hate strapless.

I was surprised by how many wedding dresses were strapless when I was gown hunting last year. I have pretty arms, but I have some leftover loose skin under my arms - strapless DOES NOT FLATTER.

Avezy44
06-03-2010, 05:42 PM
I would never wear super high waisted jeans.. Like the belly button is my limit. lol

Mango30
06-03-2010, 05:46 PM
anything with "elastic" that is not an undergarmet.

polyester...nuf said

"mom" jeans, nothing touches my bellybotton, not even the waiste band of my pants.

micro-mini skirts. who ever though those where a good idea?

roxmysox
06-03-2010, 06:28 PM
MOM JEANS! omg. no. *shutter*

Optical Goddess
06-03-2010, 06:33 PM
I always wonder when mom jeans come into play. When are those okay? Is it like the old lady who goes to the salon and decides that 'old lady hair' is the way to go? Like when you reach a certain age, you can't be stylish?

Another thing: the 'whale tail', when the thong is showing on purpose, usually w/ muffin top....

MissNibs
06-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Another major dislike is flower print. Why does walking into the plus size section of a store make you feel like you took a wrong turn into a greenhouse? Who decided fat women look fabulous in flowers?

And those weird shorts for old and/or fat women. They're like capris but the leg is cut about 3 foot wider than your actual leg and they usually come in pastels like yellow or pink. Or sweatshirts with cutesy things like puppies or sunflowers or barns.

I agree with most of what you have to say, especially the floral prints. Could anything be uglier?

However, if it weren't for elastic, wow, I couldn't wear pants. :D

MissNibs

Flamethrower
06-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Could someone PLEASE explain to me why people like UGG boots?

They're too hot in the summer and when it rains in the winter they'd get soggy. They look hideous and make you look shorter and stumpy.

WHY do people like them so much? D:

ANOther
06-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Call me a frump, but I wear poly slacks, they're nice and comfortable. Only in dark colors though, black, navy, charcoal gray, brown, dark green. (HIJACK Betcha didn't know: navy isn't used as a color in jockeys' silks because it's too hard to tell from black at a distance END HIJACK)

LBDs are strictly for LW! (Of course I'm a fine one to talk, it's probably been 25 y or more since I wore any kind of dress or skirt.) But I don't mind wearing a black top with black slacks. And I don't kid myself that it makes me look thinner because it doesn't. Nothing does.

And I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a tank top

spaghetticat
06-03-2010, 07:34 PM
Um grey jogging pants. Though I kinda live in yoga pants. Actually the same pairs (about 5 or 6) Ive had for about 4 years... Once I get to 160 they are going in the TRASH!

I think it was when everyone in high school wore them.. I just could never bring myself too. They bother me on me. (yes I have tried, and you are welcome for me not wearing them)

BTW When I weighed about 140 and was 16 I totally rocked a muumuu when I lived in a hotel for like a month. It was BRIGHT yellow. I have NO idea where I got it.. I am thinking value village? then again I used to buy old men's suits and wear them sometimes haha. :)
Oh and in case youw erent cringing- yes old man pants, and jacket but like a barney shirt meant for an 8 year old. It fit, but yeah lol

LovebirdsFlying
06-04-2010, 01:13 AM
Could someone PLEASE explain to me why people like UGG boots?

They're too hot in the summer and when it rains in the winter they'd get soggy. They look hideous and make you look shorter and stumpy.

WHY do people like them so much? D:

I'm as lost as you are. They're called "UGG" for a reason, I think.

And underneath those Mom jeans....

Some people ridicule anyone wearing "granny panties," which I would have taken to mean something like bloomers. But teenage girls have explained that to the modern way of thinking, anything that is white or pastel, and covers the entire posterior, is granny panties. This includes hipsters and bikinis, and leaves young girls who don't want to be laughed at with what? Thongs? Now, I don't like full-cut panties that come all the way up to your bra line, but if my white cotton hipsters are still "granny panties," then so what? I *am* a grandma. And isn't it unhealthy to wear dark-colored undies? Doesn't it increase the likelihood of a bladder infection or something?

The male equivalent of the granny panties is the "tighty whities," which many modern teenage boys consider childish. If they're not wearing colorful boxers, they'll get laughed out of the locker room.

roxmysox
06-04-2010, 01:36 AM
And isn't it unhealthy to wear dark-colored undies? Doesn't it increase the likelihood of a bladder infection or something?

I have never heard this before. I also, almost exclusively, wear only dark *thongs, thank you* and have never had a bladder infection? :?:

Latchkey Princess
06-04-2010, 02:05 AM
I like swim dresses, but only when the skirt is nice and short, no mid thigh skirts on my swim suits!

I will never wear stirrup pants. *shudder*
I will never wear Crocs, I don't care HOW comfortable they are, I'll stick with my Vans thanks.
I will never (be able to) wear tube tops, halter tops, strapless dresses, etc.
I will never wear a micro-mini (except maybe for Halloween as part of a costume).
I will never wear anything that purposely bares my midriff, I think it's tacky.
I will never wear skinny jeans, boyfriend cut and boot cut are more my style.

LovebirdsFlying
06-04-2010, 03:21 AM
I have never heard this before. I also, almost exclusively, wear only dark *thongs, thank you* and have never had a bladder infection? :?:

I am not sure, which is why I phrased it as a question. Maybe some people are more prone to them than others. I remember when there used to be colored toilet paper, and that stopped because the dye had adverse effects on (especially female) urinary systems. Maybe they were allergic to it in the first place, but the dye was bad news for some people. It stands to reason that the same would apply to the dye in colored underwear. And I have had that problem, so I feel safer with white cotton, as opposed to a dyed synthetic.

astrophe
06-04-2010, 03:31 AM
the 'whale tail', when the thong is showing on purpose, usually w/ muffin top....

I dislike this.

I'll stick to my hi-cut granny panties. ;)

That whole undies infection thing... I never heard it related to color, but fit and fabric. Too tight/non breathing fabric and you risk yeast infection/overgrowth.

A.

Rochester
06-04-2010, 06:58 AM
In my circle of friends (mid-to-late 30's), granny panties are defined by an excess of material. Granny panties completely cover the "cheeks" and the waistband comes up over the belly button. Granny panties can often be seen peeking out of the waistband of pants (especially when one is seated), even high-waisted pants like "mom jeans." Finally, granny panties are almost always white or flower-print.

Gimme a bikini-cut or a thong, please! Just enough material to cover the essentials. :)

dragonwoman64
06-04-2010, 11:51 AM
I'm not crazy about uggs either. I don't wear sleevless or short sleeves (despite my pic here), I prefer 3/4, I'm not thrilled with my upper arms. I look lousy in sandals too (ankles too thick).

I have a pair of flared leg polyester black slacks from Lane Bryant that I like (non elastic waist band), but I do have memories of ugly pants in that material, sheesh! Cotton and linen feel so good. These new blends of cotton and spandex (?) are great.

I get the ice cream cone look from certain straight legged jeans too, not good. I don't wear shorts, I'm a big legged/thighed gal.

nelie
06-04-2010, 12:01 PM
I always thought of granny panties as panties with excessive fabric or the full cut briefs. High cut briefs, bikinis, hipsters, etc aren't granny panties.

I will also never understand UGGs except that they are UGGly. Crocs I don't like either but I understand that people with certain foot issues seem to see benefits from them.

Despite my large upper arm/loose skin, I do wear tank tops sometimes. I like them :)

Ciao
06-04-2010, 01:13 PM
What I WOULD wear:

50's/60's style swimsuits (http://www.catwalkqueen.tv/Pistol%20Panties%20high%20waisted%20bikini.jpg)- I really don't mind wearing something like that. I think it's so much better than a bikini that goes all the way down to my crotch.
Here's another photo of what I mean: 50's bikinis (http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=190150176&albumID=1542449&imageID=21755186)

Romper (http://www.sheckys.com/UserFiles/Image/National-Fashion-Hot%20List/5-May%2007/052107_RomperRoom.jpg)- I can pull off wearing a romper very well. :)
(Look at my photo on the left.)

What I WOULDN'T wear:

Tiny bikinis (http://www.lomasin.com/upload/t/the-30-million-diamond-bikini_1.jpg)- Really now? C'mon. Not necessarily a bikini like that, but just the bikinis that are really tiny and revealing.

Crocs (http://www.iseimportexport.com/sitebuilder/images/CROCKS-600x365.png)- Even though many people love them because they are comfortable, I've never been a Crocs person. Ever.

Optical Goddess
06-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Whoah--with a bikini like that, why even wear clothes? I've never seen something so small on 'real' people but would freak out of if I did. I do dig the more vintage swimsuits, though, that old school sexiness.

Swimsuits are a pain, I have a heck of a time trying to find one that doesn't leave my cheeks hangin' out. I want coverage!

I've never known what a romper was, or that it was trendy until now. Personally I don't think I could pull it off, I think I'd look like humpty dumpty

I'm a croc's person. I love 'em, and I think most people forget that there are plenty of other styles besides the clog. They don't hurt my feet and I like the way they look....

Other things I wouldn't do: hotpants/booty shorts. If I'm driving, and look down at my lap, it shouldn't look like I have underwear on. I want to see some material on my leg.

Overall I think clothes today are too revealing. If someone wants to be sexy, leave something to the imagination!

PeanutsMom704
06-04-2010, 02:16 PM
However, if it weren't for elastic, wow, I couldn't wear pants. :D

oh, the joys of being an apple shape!! If I didn't wear elastic waists, anything that fit at my waist would be about 3 sizes too big in the butt and thighs. And I can assure you, that is NOT a flattering look! lol! But I wear jersey, yoga pants type knits, not the doubleknit polyester with the fake crease.

And I also agree about high waisted pants in general. They are just so uncomfortable! I love stuff that not's a super low rise, but a couple of inches below the belly button is just so much more comfortable to wear!

nelie
06-04-2010, 02:58 PM
With elastic, I'm not referring to stretchy pants. I'm referring to visible elastic waist bands in things like slacks or even jeans.

Like this:
http://www.etreavis.com/acatalog/41389-elastic-lg.jpg

CanadianCutie
06-04-2010, 04:37 PM
I'm with all the anti elastic waist pants people. My mom is an apple shape, and that is all she can wear, so growing up that's all she bought me. I'm a pear shape. I need some something with a waist. The only thing I have that is elastic waisted besides my panties (high cut, thong or sexy to match my bras), is my work out gear. Also I hate oversize tops. Again was forced to wear them for years. I like a closer fitting shirt.
I absolutely hate Uggs and Crocs too and printed socks. Give me plain white cotton socks, black socks, or trouser socks.
I also love thigh high stockings with a garter belt. So much more comfortable (and sexy) than pantyhose.

roxmysox
06-04-2010, 04:40 PM
awww- I love colored and patterned socks! So much fun :)

I agree with the elastic banded pants. Just terrible, and they do this weird poke out in all the wrong places thing on me.

mandalinn82
06-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Interesting question!

#1 is my definition of "granny panties", which essentially means anything that goes up to my waist and has a lower-cut leg. I do not need that much coverage. I don't wear thongs, though...I tend toward bikini or boy short cuts. But they're all *cute*...no more ugly underwear!

#2 - Shorts. Of all kinds. If it's above the knee, it isn't for me. Same with mini skirts and anything else above the knee. I do not have attractive knees. Period.

#3 - Shapeless dresses. Muumuus fall into this category, but a nice fitted maxi-dress, even though it provides a lot of coverage, does not. I need my clothes to have some shape to them, because I'm boyishly built and need to emphasize shape whenever I can.

#4 - Pants suits. When I was bigger and had business meetings, I always wore boxy suits with straight leg pants. Now they make me feel so dowdy and boxy. I wear nice, fitted suits with pencil skirts and feel powerful!

Glory87
06-04-2010, 05:12 PM
I love printed socks. I have the most beautiful sock collection, I'm very picky. www.ozonesocks.com is a big favorite1

Optical Goddess
06-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Oh! The women in my home town wear these wierd, elastic waisted pants that are cotton, with a 'denim' pattern. No one is being fooled! Those are not jeans!!

bunnythesAINT
06-04-2010, 06:05 PM
I've said this before, when someone else asked this question: Anything worn by the cast of the TV shows Jersey Shore, Jerseylicious and Jersey Couture.

LMAO! :D

Cglasscock1
06-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Spandex bike shorts stretched to the limit! Especially in metallic purple and hot pink!
(I've actually seen this in my local K-Mart).

MissKoo
06-04-2010, 06:58 PM

Jersey Couture? Oxymoron alert! :D And, by the way, I agree.

My no-no list includes any shirt, top, t-shirt with a disney cartoon on it. I will walk around in a flannel bedsheet before I'll wear a denim shirt with Pooh on it.

Just my humble opinion. Not judging anyone who likes those . . .

CanadianCutie
06-04-2010, 07:16 PM
lol. I wore a shirt with Tinkerbell on it today. But I am in the process of weeding out my closet of the too big/out of style/wouldn't be caught dead in items. Getting rid of anything floral, or with a cartoon print on it, only exception out of the cartoon print that I'm keeping is my Winnie the Pooh T-Shirt that says Innocent on it. Since it is rather ironic when I wear it, especially to bed.
I took a look at that Ozone Socks website, and I have to say I do like the over the knee printed socks.

spaghetticat
06-04-2010, 09:18 PM
I LOVE Pin up girl clothing!!
http://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/
Like 85% of this site, if I was a millionaire, I probably wouldnt buy it all because then I would be broke, but I DO love that style! Women seemed mroe delicate in those and you could still be sexy in a wiggle dress but you are not showing everything ykwim?

Rochester
06-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Like 85% of this site, if I was a millionaire, I probably wouldnt buy it all because then I would be broke, but I DO love that style! Women seemed mroe delicate in those and you could still be sexy in a wiggle dress but you are not showing everything ykwim?

That site is motivation to get skinny! :D Wowza. :love:

Optical Goddess
06-04-2010, 09:43 PM
I love vintage clothing! When I get my sewing machine I'm going to see what I can do . That's sexy, like Jessica Rabbit sexy....curves celebre.

LovebirdsFlying
06-05-2010, 05:40 AM
I like 40's inspired clothes. Except for those shoulder pads. When they came back into style during the 1980's I ripped out all the shoulder pads on my clothes. Enough padding to square the shoulders of a suit jacket, I'll do. Beyond that, Joan Collins can have them.

Ruthxxx
06-05-2010, 06:11 AM
Pastel polyester pant suits! They are sooooo aging and yet a lot of women my age live in them. And then there are glasses on a ribbon, sweater clips, knee-high nylons worn with a skirt, "I Love Grandma" t-shirts, puffed sleeves on the over 40 crowd.....stop me before I hurl.

Ciao
06-05-2010, 08:37 AM

VERY classy.
I'm more of a dress person.
Never liked pants, even in the winter.

But, you know, since I'm 15 people
at my school seem to think you have
to be in with the latest trend.

I just like the 50s clothes and dresses a
lot better. I'll stick to that rather than
the UGG boots, tyvm. :D

Ookpik
06-05-2010, 12:39 PM
I never really thought about what I wouldn't be caught dead in until today. My friend and I were having a yard sale. This morning was chilly, so I pulled on some clothes - lots of it - to help her lug our stuff outside. I was in a rush so I pulled on the nearest pair of shoes - my sandals. When everything was set up, I ran back into the house to put on my sneakers because, even in the yard, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing socks and sandals together!

ANOther
06-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Some people ridicule anyone wearing "granny panties," which I would have taken to mean something like bloomers

Never heard the term (I must live a very sheltered life). I wear dark panties (full briefs or boy-shorts if I find a cut of the latter that I like, NEVER thongs or any skimpier cuts: if those are granny panties, so be it, nobody sees my undies so why should I care, I'm 52 and have never been hung up about dressing fashionably) and have no problems with UTIs (knock wood). Woman Within and Roaman's used to have some lines of boy-shorts that I liked, but those lines have been discontinued.

Rochester: Amen about sweatshirts with cutesy country motifs, they suck on women of ANY size!

kgriff
06-08-2010, 07:48 PM
I'm with Ruthxxx....polyester pants suits...yuck! Reminds me of the stuff my mother used to wear in the 70s and 80s...sure they were in fashion in the 70s, but they were definitely out of style when the decade ended, yet my mother seemed to think they flattered her. I was SO embarrassed!

Also, those polyester shirts with photographs printed all through them...you know, the kind the guys with the long sideburns and bushy mustaches used to wear with their bell bottom polyester pants...UGH!

LovebirdsFlying
06-09-2010, 06:30 AM
If I remember right, even in the 70's and 80's, it was the old women who wore the polyester pantsuits. Or maybe, because I was a child in the 70's, all adults were "old" to me.

Of course, if you were me, you had to wear those same kinds of things to school. We were very poor, but since I was the oldest child in the family, I didn't get hand-me-downs from older siblings. A lot of my clothes were given to me by a great-aunt or an elderly neighbor, or bought from the Goodwill. So they were the same polyester pantsuits the old women were wearing. Embarrassing, in elementary school. And I sure heard about it, too.

About swimdresses, I remember something. I was eight years old and within the norm for my height and build. My babysitter, a pudgy teenager from a pudgy family, gave me a swimsuit she had outgrown. It was a two-piece, but the bottom had an attached skirt. I thought it was perfectly cute, but my mother frowned on it. "You don't need a bathing suit with a skirt on it. Fat old Molly wears that kind of thing, but you don't have to." (Really instills respect and compassion in a child, doesn't it?) I guess it was right then and there I started to equate "swimsuit with skirt" = "something fat girls are supposed to wear." And if there's anything I don't want to wear, it's something expected of fat people. Not because I won't acknowledge my size, but because I refuse to let someone else set the rules.

Sometimes I think that becoming fat is my punishment for when I was a child and I used to make fun of fat people. I think I got what I deserved.

effie12
06-09-2010, 04:58 PM
If it says Ed Hardy anywhere on it, I am not going to touch it with a ten foot poll!

That is my biggie, as well as leggings for pants in public (really girls, really), tights for pants in public (even worse!), the shorts and heeled boots combo (I think it looks kind of trashy), and probably a bikini.

L144S
06-09-2010, 05:57 PM
not said...romper, jumpsuit, is SOOO off my list
Elastic anywhere on a shirt or pants
uggs, super low cut pants or tops, peddle pusher length shorts, I like the walking short length because it covers the jiggle on my 40 year old thights, but I usually have to get them hemed, short shorts, plaid shorts, fine in the front wide load in the back, any shirt with skinny straps that show my big girl bra straps 32 DD and linen. I love the way it looks all pressed BUT within secods if falls apart to a frumpy mess on me. :-)

Optical Goddess
06-09-2010, 06:28 PM
I am loving this thread!

Going off the Ed Hardy idea is that I won't wear clothes that are emblazoned with logos or brand names, like the only difference between it and a hane's t shirt is the logo and about 30 dollars.

If I'm getting paid to be a walking bill board- then I'm sure something can be worked out..

I'm also not a fan of shorts that say stuff on the butt.

I've also noticed a disturbing trend: women going braless in tank tops- those muscle shirt type ones with the huge arm hole....side cleavage- epic sartorial fail.

cocomama
06-12-2010, 05:02 AM
lycra lol!

Ookpik
06-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Found this article online. Although it is about what women like to wear but men find hideous, I think a lot of people, both sexes, dislike a lot of the clothes.

http://ca.lifestyle.yahoo.com/fashion-beauty/articles/archive/yahoolifestyle/yahoolifestyle-clothes_women_love_but_men_think_are_ugly

CrystalZ10
06-12-2010, 01:58 PM
I would NEVER wear a bikini...I don't care how small and tight I got, I have a modest streak and don't think other people should be able to see half my girls hanging out, or butt crack.
High heels. I am a clutz, and frankly I don't think 6" heels are good for anyone.
Nothing without some sort of defined waist. Any kind of belly, and people think your pregnant.
Those boxy jackets paired with a skirt. I hate feeling cumbersome in those things. My mom always made me wear them cause she felt that it defined my waist and hid my belly. Screw it. Its my belly and my body. There are better clothes to hide that than some stupid jacket that won't let me move.
Overalls, or any kind of one piece suit. Never a good look on anyone over the age of 8.
Horizontal stripes. Just. No.

dangerouscurves76
06-12-2010, 07:07 PM
My no-no list includes any shirt, top, t-shirt with a disney cartoon on it. I will walk around in a flannel bedsheet before I'll wear a denim shirt with Pooh on it.

Just my humble opinion. Not judging anyone who likes those . . .

Too freakin funny! I hate those shirts! A friend of mine has a huge collection of shirts, jog pants, and purses with Disney characters on them. I just don't get it...we're in out 30's! :dizzy: It's time to give it up.

I WOULD NEVER WEAR:

- Crocs or Uggs (No way, no matter how comfortable they are.)
- A romper (Who decided that it was time to re-visit that fashion disaster?)
- Clear heels in public! (some things are meant for at-home use) ;)
- High-waisted jeans w/a shirt tucked it. :devil:

Love this thread...

maryea
06-12-2010, 07:57 PM
I had to laugh at some of the comments...people are obviously very different!

Things I don't wear (at least outside my home)
1. skinny jeans
2. sleeveless tops
3. full skirts
4. pants with front pleats
5. high or really low waisted pants. slightly below waist is for me.
6. Most boxy jackets although I've had a few I liked.
7. polyester pants
8. thongs, tiny bikinis or high-waisted underwear. see #5
9. baby doll type lingerie -gave up on these long ago!
10. slip-on type shoes as I can't keep them on.

ange82much
06-12-2010, 08:35 PM
my pet hate is trousers that finish at the ankle, or just above

Especially on short people who are wearing 3/4 pants and pretending they're full length pants, but they're just not long enough - baaaaaaaddd.

Personally i wouldn't wear really high heels cos it's just too uncomfortable.
And i'll put long tight skirts into that catagory too - if it's too hard to walk in, forget it.

LovebirdsFlying
06-13-2010, 04:32 AM
Found this article online. Although it is about what women like to wear but men find hideous, I think a lot of people, both sexes, dislike a lot of the clothes.

http://ca.lifestyle.yahoo.com/fashion-beauty/articles/archive/yahoolifestyle/yahoolifestyle-clothes_women_love_but_men_think_are_ugly

I enjoyed that article. :) Thank you.

It would be nice if they'd also do one on men's fashions that women hate. I'd have a thing or two to say about saggy pants belted at the thighs, with King Kong's own t-shirt worn over them.

Hamoco350
06-13-2010, 05:44 AM
I'm open to a lot, but I have a few NO WAY kinds of clothing:

Anything that is Ed Hardy or resembles that style.

A few particular name brands. Basically because everyone around here ends up looking exactly the same when the nearest Hollister gets a new shipment of t-shirts.

Super short shorts.

Tube tops.

I can honestly say that I don't know my style well enough yet. At my highest weight I wore whatever fit. Since I'm losing I haven't bought many new things, so my style hasn't developed any, at all. When I get to goal I'll have to rediscover myself completely! I can't decide if I'm boho-chic or rebel-prep or maybe cowgirl-glam. LOL ;)

LovebirdsFlying
06-13-2010, 08:29 AM
It would be nice if they'd also do one on men's fashions that women hate. I'd have a thing or two to say about saggy pants belted at the thighs, with King Kong's own t-shirt worn over them.

Aha. After considerable googling, I finally found an article that addresses men's fashions. I apologize for the one f-word that will appear at the top of the linked blog. It's part of the title of the previous entry. I can't help it.

http://stylecrave.com/2009-08-11/worst-fashions

tropica
06-21-2010, 01:32 AM
I really enjoyed that article!!! hahaha

aliquot
06-21-2010, 02:18 AM
"Rompers" wtf. Just no.

Maxi dress. I hate it when people wear these and they think they can get away with not wearing a bra. Seriously, people.

I wouldn't be caught dead in public WITHOUT a bra. Does that count? BRAS ARE GOOD. WEAR THEM. Also, saggy bras, why do people wear them. This includes tanks with "shelf bras". I would NEVER wear one of these out of the house because, come on, that is NOT a bra. Have some friggen self respect.

I hate jeans that have "whiskers". Like, those pre-dyed wrinkle marks across the thighs at the crotch? Why. Seriously. Especially in a plus size store. Do they NOT know that this makes you look fatter?

Khakis. I don't know. I just think khakis are the natural mortal enemy of plus sized people.

Pants with flappy pockets on the butt/thighs (cargos). FLAPPY POCKETS NEVER LIE FLAT AND MAKE YOU LOOK WIDER/BIGGER/WHATEVER. It is just not pretty. Stop it.

Jeans that are light colored. Again, I don't know why plus sized stores sell these. They really need to stop encouraging people to wear things that they don't need to be wearing. On What Not to Wear, they even put skinny people in pretty much EXCLUSIVELY dark jeans.

ALSO. People who wear dark colored undies with light colored pants. I DONT WANT TO SEE YOUR ORANGE UNDIES THROUGH YOUR WHITE PANTS. I ALSO DONT WANT TO SEE YOUR THONG ABOVE YOUR PANTS. fjieoawjfew.

Speaking of thongs. No. I refuse. They are awful. Why do they exist.

I also hate panty hose and believe them to be an ancient torture device.

Why do girls think its okay to show your bra straps if they are CLEAR. THAT DOESNT MAKE IT BETTER.

Sorry, this thread gives me a chance to rant about my pet peeves, haha. I just visited Universal Studios and was disgusted with what people were wearing in public.

lizziep
06-21-2010, 03:21 AM
lets see- no whale tale. no uggs or crocs. nothing that is bejeweled or bedazzled. nothing with kittens, cartoons, horses, etc on it. denim anywhere other then on jeans. any type of shirt or dress that might pose the question "when are you due?"
and my standard fat fare when i was a kid- large oversized shirt with leggings or stirrup pants.
if they ever come back - bodysuits! horrible contraptions, i don't have time to find snaps in my crotch when i have to go to the bathroom and i don't really want a permanent wedgie.
since i'm short- i have to be really careful with capri's if they're too long they just look like i can't buy regular pants. same with 3/4 sleeves- they look more like 4/5th sleeves on me. bad!

and one last thing- the thing that i will never ever ever wear again once i have lost enough weight- a bra that came out of a box!!!! eff you "just my size"!

eyks
06-21-2010, 03:46 AM
I wouldn't be caught dead in public WITHOUT a bra. Does that count? BRAS ARE GOOD. WEAR THEM. Also, saggy bras, why do people wear them. This includes tanks with "shelf bras". I would NEVER wear one of these out of the house because, come on, that is NOT a bra. Have some friggen self respect.

Why do girls think its okay to show your bra straps if they are CLEAR. THAT DOESNT MAKE IT BETTER.

ROFL... Thank you!!! I see this way too often. I don't care if you DO have tiny perky lady bits, put them in a bra!

I agree with not ever wearing Crocs. Those may be comfy but please leave bright slip on shoes to kids under the age of 5.

Harem pants. Yuck. Last time I checked MC Hammer isn't popular anymore and they don't flatter any shape.

Clear light up heels. If you aren't Cinderella or a stripper then please don't wear them.

Shape Ups or Fit Flops. Yes, I said it! I'm not a fan. They look like prescribed orthopedic shoes but for the sporty ladies.

Ankle warmers and flip flops. Really? How does that make sense?

Scarfs in hot weather. I'm all for a cute scarf with some jeans and a jacket. But when you're rocking it with shorts and a tank I get confused. What's next, wearing it with a bathing suit?

Ed Hardy. As someone mentioned before, it's Jersey Shore tacky.

As more Mens fashion:

Skinny Jeans. No one needs to see your package.
White Sunglasses. Only girls can get away with bright colors.
Anything that is 2 sizes too large.

LovebirdsFlying
06-21-2010, 01:04 PM
Ankle warmers with flip flops make just about as much sense as socks with sandals, I suppose. :) Which is, none.

Daughter disagrees. She says socks with sandals are to keep the sandals from being stained with sweat from your feet. And she lol'ed at the clear bra straps. Myself, I lol'ed at the crotch snaps when you have to go to the bathroom. Exactly why I've taken to wearing a tankini instead of a one-piece swimsuit.

I've not seen anyone say anything about jumpers. There used to be a rule, never wear them unless you're under 12 or pregnant. Opinions?

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/6b/1/AAAAAjfRoKMAAAAAAGsbkg.jpg?v=1188938965000

bama girl
06-21-2010, 01:46 PM
This thread is cracking me up!

I'd have to say leggings/tights as pants... I can't wait to be skinny enough to know I COULD pull it off, but I will NEVER act on it. Haha.

seabiscuit
06-22-2010, 05:08 AM
This is a great thread- I needed a smile!

Moo Moo's or however you spell that :D

I agree- no polyester pants!

Those collared sweaters, collar under the sweat shirt- ugly!

tube tops

clothes that show my midsection- even when I get to goal weight, I still think I'd find them as unattractive as I do now!

AllisonR
06-23-2010, 04:02 PM
This is great! I needed a laugh.

So here's my list (I think most of you have covered a lot of it):

- velvet track suits
- clear heels
- gladiator sandals
- harem pants
- muu muus
- maxi dresses
- elastic "mom" jeans that taper at the leg! UGH! WHY?!?!
- bright pants, especially green and blue (not jeans)
- clothing with FRINGE
- elastic-y material tube tops
- huge scarfs in hot weather (You look like an idiot.)
- loafers

Some No-nos that I WOULD wear:
- sometimes I DO show my bra (if I'm wearing a black off-the-shoulder top, i like having a black strap there)
- thongs: LOVE THEM (but not those string ones)
- leggings: IF I ever got skinny enough, I would wear them but it would NEVER be my go-to outfit
- rompers: *see reason above*
- skinny jeans: Yeah, I'd rock that, again if I was skinny enough

ANOther
06-24-2010, 07:42 PM
fjieoawjfew

Huh?

aliquot
06-25-2010, 01:19 AM
Huh?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=keysmash

SoonToBeHealthyHart
06-25-2010, 07:54 PM
How about shirts that are so low cut that the top of the bra shows, and the woman purposely wears a brightly colored bra to peek out? I may have a nice rack now, but I'd never go that far...hehehe

ANOther
06-30-2010, 10:50 AM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=keysmash

Gotcha.

AZ Sunrises
08-27-2010, 11:51 PM

Oh....my....goodness!!!!!!! I <3 you. Love that site.

nancymae
08-28-2010, 12:36 AM
I was mostly LMAF at the posts but...

http://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/ I'm in love!

WOW!:dizzy: And lots of the dresses NOT listed in the "plus size" section actually do come in 1x and 2x.

I ordered "DeeDee" dress and a pair of shoes to match it! I will get the "Sandra" dress as soon as I fit into a size 16!

The black two piece swim suit (out of stock) is STUNNING!

Natasha1534
08-28-2010, 12:53 AM
I like 40's inspired clothes. Except for those shoulder pads. When they came back into style during the 1980's I ripped out all the shoulder pads on my clothes. Enough padding to square the shoulders of a suit jacket, I'll do. Beyond that, Joan Collins can have them.

OMG, I used to cut them all out, too. I hated shoulder pads w/ a passion!!! Like a big girl needs ANOTHER thing to make her look like a linebacker!!!

If it says Ed Hardy anywhere on it, I am not going to touch it with a ten foot poll!

That is my biggie, as well as leggings for pants in public (really girls, really), tights for pants in public (even worse!), the shorts and heeled boots combo (I think it looks kind of trashy), and probably a bikini.

I never got the leggings thing, anyway. It looks like you rolled out of bed after a hard night of drinking and didn't shower before you went out for the day. YUCK!!!

I wouldn't be caught dead in mom jeans, crocs, or shorts w/ "bootylicious" or whatever else bedazzled across the ***.

kma415
08-28-2010, 12:58 AM
Sports bras, they make you look like you've got your boobs duct taped flat to your chest
low ride jeans, I like being able to sit down without half my butt showing. I've actually ripped a belt loop off trying to pull a pair of these up once.

therex
08-28-2010, 02:49 AM
it's not really a fashion piece, but i would never go out sporting a dunlap. (when waistbands are too tight on jeans, and your stomach has done lapped over) I've always worn really tight jeans, like spray painted, but not enough to bulge me out. I totally get that for some women it's just a fact of life, like when you're built like an apple, but when it's because of your jeans.. just no.

i would also never wear hot pants with high heels, i do think it's too intense of a look.

nancymae
08-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Pajamas unless you are in your own home and it's before noon.

Sweats-unless you are on the way too or from the gym or actually exercising.

Crop pants- a current staple of my wardrobe. Got rid of at least 6 pairs already, three that are so loose that I am probably wearing them for the last time. I have three more pairs that are 16-18 that are still too tight but after those are in the goodwill bag no more!

big shoulder pads, I am sort of neff about the small ones too.

Shapeless cloths, like mumus, an advertisment that you are not only fat but you have also given up.

on the other extreme:

tight spandex- just because stores sell skin tight cloths in 4xxxl size does not mean i need to subject people to SEEING me in them!

nancymae
09-03-2010, 11:56 PM
I was mostly LMAF at the posts but...

http://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/ I'm in love!

WOW!:dizzy: And lots of the dresses NOT listed in the "plus size" section actually do come in 1x and 2x.

I ordered "DeeDee" dress and a pair of shoes to match it! I will get the "Sandra" dress as soon as I fit into a size 16!

The black two piece swim suit (out of stock) is STUNNING!

I got the dress today!!!!

The fabric is surprisingly high in quality. It fits great and (even better) it is cut in a way that is will be easy to alter as I get smaller. Well worth the price! The shoes are cute too!

The swim suit is still out of stock...:(