Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-24-2010, 09:19 AM   #1  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

Default Question For Runners

I went to the gym yesterday and about 10mins into my run on the treadmill I started getting really bad indigestion. By the time I'd run for 20mins I actually felt like I was maybe going to be sick, so I stopped running and walked for a few mins to see if it would subside. It did improve but not much, so I got off the treadmill, went and took an indigestion tablet and then did other things than running til it went away a lot, then went back on and did another 15min run. The thing was it didn't actually completely go all day.
I've had this happen once before on the treadmill as well, but it was quite a while back and didn't think anything of it because it hadn't happened before.
I've had several occasions though when on the treadmill that I've felt as if some food was repeating on me and I've had to belch.
Before I started my weight loss journey and began exercising regularly I used to have indigestion most of the time and it was miserable, but about a month into my journey it seemed to disappear and I very rarely get it now.
Does this happen to other runners or is it just me maybe? Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to make sure it doesn't happen again? I do try to make sure I don't eat within an hour before exercising, and even then it's not a big meal as I exercise morning/lunchtime usually.
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #2  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

The only thing I can think is that maybe you are going too fast? Other GI problems while running are common but upset tummy ...I'm trying to think...

I guess since you had it with other exercise before I wonder if it is just your body's way of dealing with new stressors.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:24 AM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I had issues pre-weight loss too, and pretty bad. I had what I called "attacks" and was terrified to be without my medicine. If I forgot to take a dose, I knew within an hour of when I should have taken it. It has gone away for me also except for the very rare, very normal indigestion.

You talked about burping...I burp up banana or apple if I eat that before a workout. Perhaps it's what you're eating before you run? I run on an empty or near empty stomach. Maybe that has something to do with it?
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:57 AM   #4  
Fighting The Binges

The only thing I'd eaten yesterday before going to the gym was a tuna sandwich, and I'd had it over an hour before starting my workout.
I think I'll have to keep a record of what I've eaten and how close to my workout if it happens again in future, and see if there's any link.
I was just so annoyed with myself yesterday as I feel like I've failed if I have to stop mid-run.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #5  
Calorie counter

What about pop? Do you drink diet sodas? Or tea or coffee or something with caffeine?
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:46 AM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

So the research I did only came up with it in relation to GERD or in general excess stomach acid. Have you been checked for those?

And there is nothing wrong with structuring your running in intervals if it will help. If it comes on at about 10 minutes then try running 5 minutes and walking 2, running 5 etc and see if you can stretch out onset.

I used to have a problem with any kind of dairy even hours before a run (years of running has created an iron stomach)
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:01 PM   #7  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Hey! I have had chronic indigestion since I had my gallbladder removed several years ago. It can certainly crop up during an intense run and make me feel sick - miserable! I feel for ya.

Honestly, I just learned to live with it. My indigestion problems did reduce SIGNIFICANTLY with losing weight - I used to take one Prilosec every other day. Now I take half a tablet once a week. I have found (for me) that if I just continue running, it eventually goes away. I do try not to eat for at least 1-2 hours before a run and avoid certain foods that I know will give me indigestion. I will probably always have to live with chronic acid reflux so I just do as much as I can to get through it. I really find that if I just push through that initial feeling, it goes away eventually.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:02 PM   #8  
Girl from Rio

S/C/G: 242/See ticker/118

Height: 5 2"

For me it has happened when I was working too close to my max heart rate, and for too long... an intensity my body wasnīt/isnīt used to.

Have you tried lowering the intesity of the run ?
carol2208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #9  
Fighting The Binges

I only very occasionally drink diet soda now. I have one cup of coffee with breakfast each day then the rest of the day I drink very weak sugar free squash/cordial.
I did have a stomach ulcer several years ago and was treated for that, but don't know if I have excess stomach acid now. It might be something to look into if it carries on.
I did have my gallbladder removed almost 2 years ago so maybe that has something to do with it, but not sure, as I don't often suffer with indigestion since losing the weight.
I was also keeping an eye on my heart rate and it was no higher than normal so don't think it could have been the effort I was putting in.
I have actually had a pain in the right side of my chest today, sort of like a stitch when I breathe in or reach up high with my right arm, which wasn't there yesterday, so I'm beginning to wonder if they're linked and I've maybe pulled something. I did go and do a short hill walk on the treadmill then my step class today and managed them ok with no indigestion, so guess I'll just have to see how I go over the next few days.
Thanks for all the advice ladies, you've all given me things to consider for it/when it happens again.