Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-17-2010, 08:06 AM   #1  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Default Anyone ever work out to this point?

I think I'm having a skipped cycle this month. I DO have PCOS, so it's hard to say, but I've been so regular since losing the first 5%. I know athletes who train really hard do this. I hesitate ALOT to say I'm training that hard...but I am training pretty hard.

As I mentioned in another thread, my resting HR has come down as low as 44. After an intense cycling class this morning when we checked our pulses, she wanted us coming down to around 120/130 and mine was already 100.

So...what do you think?
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:00 AM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

No idea. If you have a need to know when it is coming, I'd suggest charting.

www.tcoyf.com is what I used.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:00 AM   #3  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

This is just me, Eliana, but I've mentioned here before that when I went without a period for 18 months, it wasn't hard exercise that was the culprit but rather body fat percentage. When mine dipped below a certain point, everything stopped. When I gained back a certain amount of weight while continuing to exercise hard, like more than 2 hours a day -- this happened inadvertently, I was bingeing badly & purging through overexercise -- my period came back. But I'm not a medical professional. If you miss it a second month, that may mean something. One month here & there could be so many things, including stress.

Last edited by saef; 05-17-2010 at 09:01 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:04 AM   #4  
Meg

My normally regular-as-clockwork periods became extremely erratic during the year I was losing weight. My doctor's explanation was that estrogen is stored in fat, specifically belly fat, and the loss of a lot of fat produces a huge estrogen dump into our systems. And that can be enough to affect our cycles.

I agree that if it continues to be an issue, you should check with your doctor.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:07 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Yup, Saef is right. It's not the amount of exercise, it's the body fat percentage-- that's why gymnasts and long-distance runners stop menstruating.

There are tons of reasons women skip a cycle-- a lot of times there is no apparent reason. If you're not pregnant, I wouldn't start to worry until you skip 3 in a row.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #6  
Calorie counter

Well body fat percentage is NOT the culprit. I have plenty of that yet.

Good to know. I told my husband I seem to have gone from one extreme to the other! From high BP to nearly low BP, high average HR to very low HR and now this!

My husband's advice is to lighten up, but with summer coming, I want to get even more intense. I can back off in the Fall. Right now I'm having fun and am amazed at what I can do each day.

Full speed ahead...
Old 05-17-2010, 10:22 AM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Definitely get it checked out if it continues. There can be many reasons and you shouldnt ignore it.

I am the opposite. I am on Mirena and dont get a period...until my workouts become extremely extreme. Usually sometime the last few weeks before marathon taper I will get a period. But by then I am usually doing 12 hours a week of running.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #8  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

I have PCOS (on no meds for it) and I skipped my period for 9 months when I was at my heaviest. Then my period got regular when I lost 20 pounds. In fact, it was more regular than it ever had been. I even got PMS for the first time ever. I felt like a normal woman, haha.

Then I lost 20 more pounds & I skipped my period last month. I'm not worried about it because I am so used to irregular periods, but I'm due for my annual check up so I'm going to get it checked out.

No harm in seeing a doctor, but from what someone said on the PCOS board, belly fat loss releases hormones which can screw up our cycles.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:45 AM   #9  
Calorie counter

Thanks Motivated Chickie!! (Great user name!) I assumed the problem had fixed itself. I too went 9 months without a cycle once. That's when my doctor told me I was in early menopause at the ripe old age of THIRTY! LOL!

That very well may be what's going on. I wouldn't be at all surprised. I'm only 5 days late right now, but also have none of the tenderness I get two weeks prior each and every time. So really, it's nowhere in site.