Old 05-12-2010, 06:52 PM   #1  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Default Anyone watch Oprah today?

She is discussing a book called Women, Food, and God...wow talk about a huge eye opener for me. I am going to pick up this book tomorrow. It really hit a nerve with me. I am numb to my emotions. I don't let myself feel, and I use food to alter my emotions....I also recognize that I don't feel I am worth it to lose weight, I beat myself up, instead of being kind to myself...I can't wait to read this book.
Anyone else watch and have thoughts?
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I watched it too! Which is big for me, since I haven't watched her show in over a year.

My fav quote was..
"we turn to food when we are hungry, hungry for something we cannot name"

Which I physically feel, I'll eat something I thought I "needed", but after it's gone I feel unfulfilled.

Made me think, I'd be interested in reading the book, and would be interested to see how things could change in 2 months for her July 12th show, which I am sure my mom will want to watch (I'll be visiting her for her birthday on July 12th). Although I have to say, I like to count calories, it makes me feel in control, reminds me to put GOOD things in my body, so while I'd follow the principles.. I'd keep with the calorie counting.

PinkHoodie - I am right there along side you, I beat myself up, not only over weight loss, but mistakes I've made throughout my life. I can relive the same mistake over and over, it doesn't get me anywhere.. Being kind can help this I think. Something I need to work on too.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #3  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

I loved the part "The poet Galway Kinnell wrote that "sometimes it is necessary to reteach a thing its loveliness." I always tell myself I am damaged. That there is something wrong with me versus others. Especially since I haven't been able to get pregnant...
There was also a part at the end, I didn't write it down, but it had a deep effect on me. She said something like Think back to when you were little, how the perfect summer's day was all it took to make you happy. I wish I could find it, guess I will when I read the book, but it made me think how I always want more out of life. I'm never just satisfied with how things are.
I think treating the root of why I eat is going to help the process. I don't think there is anything wrong with still being in control of what you eat, but I also think that she does hit a lot of good points.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:07 AM   #4  

PinkHoodie - I got some insight from someone who read the book and the show was seriously lacking.. definitely get the book! I can't say it's something I'll follow - I think I like counting calories and feeling like I have that control.. but I'll be curious what you think of the book Let me know!

-Aimee
Old 05-13-2010, 12:48 AM   #5  
Carol

S/C/G: 172/159/140

Height: 5'6"

I read the book about a month or so ago and I really got a lot of it. I wish I had seen the Oprah show today.
If you are an emotional eater like me, the book has many pearls of wisdom. I thought it was well worth the price. (I ordered it online and paid about $16.00) Geneen Roth has other good books out as well.
Cglasscock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:58 AM   #6  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Oh, it's written by Geneen Roth? Okay. I think I'll be checking into this one further.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #7  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
My fav quote was..
"we turn to food when we are hungry, hungry for something we cannot name"

Quote:
There was also a part at the end, I didn't write it down, but it had a deep effect on me. She said something like Think back to when you were little, how the perfect summer's day was all it took to make you happy
I remember saying these exact same things here on 3FC over a year ago...lol

Do you ever wonder if these authors don't surf the net and find stuff in groups such as this one and compile them into a book? We should all write a book and get rich...
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:47 AM   #8  

Height: 5'5"

I saw the show and didn't see anything to get excited about personally. My husband pointed out all the self help authors on Oprah's show always have the "seven crucial steps" or the "twelve changes you must do". Eh, if it helps anybody I'm glad for them but I think it's just more blah blah blah.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #9  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

I read one of Roth's books long, long ago (like 20 years maybe?) when I was trying to find a way out of my weight/health morass. The idea was basically intuitive eating--"listen" to your body and eat whatever it wants, even if it's chocolate-chip cookies, and eventually you'll come into balance yadda yadda and be healthy and lose weight.

Well, I'm the kind of person who is able to never stop eating chocolate-chip cookies, if I allow myself to eat chocolate-chip cookies, because I am a sugar addict. Eating intuitively doesn't work for those of us with a biochemical / physiological addiction issue. It's like telling an alcoholic to just drink as much booze as they want...well...that tends to lead to nasty diseases and death. Moderation and intuition simply don't work in the face of addiction.

So I probably will not be checking out her new book, assuming she's still basically saying the same thing. I don't fundamentally have an emotional problem that leads to overeating, I have an addiction that leads to emotional and life problems.

That being said, I do hope it is helpful for those of you who read it.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I had this show on yesterday while I was doing other things...kind of half listening.

I commend Oprah for her never ending quest on finding a sane way to live with food and be healthy. After all - there are so many approaches to weight loss. (ie - all the different forum here with different plans!) She never stops trying to find the right thing. I remember some of the things she's tried: liquid protein, her private chef with the healthy cook book, Bob Greene, Dr. Oz and the other doctor friend, 21 day detox, etc. and now this. Actually, many of her weight loss shows have been inspiring and helpful.

I have read some of Geneen Roth's books in the past. She has a some good and helpful ideas. I think this book may help some folks. Although, I don't know if this book is alot different than the others.

I hope that this can give Oprah and other folks the peace and sanity with food that they wish for. It's what we all wish for in the long run.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 05-13-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:53 PM   #11  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

Well, for someone like me, who lost her mom at 4 years old, I believe my relationship with food is tied directly into my emotions. I have closed my emotions down. I bought the book today, I will let you all know what I think of it. I have read self-help books in the past, and honestly believe one of them gave me the tools to save my marriage at one point some years ago. To each his own I guess!
Old 05-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #12  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

We were just talking about this book last night at my book club meeting. In fact, we decided to use it as one of our books. I went ahead and ordered it, so I would have it. I have the episode dvr'd, I can't wait to see it.
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:02 PM   #13  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I'm all for anything that makes us stop and THINK why we're fat. Being 20 pounds overweight can be a bad habit, being a HUNDRED and 20 overweight there's more going on inside!! If we don't work onthe MENTAL aspects, i think we'd all be biding our time we gained it alllll back and then some! happy reading!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #14  

I watched parts of the show. I wish Oprah would let her guests TALK more. I feel like the guests barely get the chance to actually say anything.

WarMaiden, my sister said the exact same thing you did!

Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:59 PM   #15  

suzie - EXACTLY!

Oprah talked and talked and talked, and we didn't even get a glimpse into the author's thoughts. I have to say this is the reason I don't watch Oprah, I find it annoying that when she's "found" something so amazing that everyone just follows. I work in the skin care industry and she did a show on chemical exfoliants, and how everyone should use them. So I had a customer with extreme eczema and she bought it against my advice and was back 2 days later with an inflamed, rashy, red skin with little blisters and BLOOD! Ugh, sorry, frustrates me to no end.

I have heard fabulous things about Geneen Roth, and she's been around for so long apparently. I also think the book could help a lot of us - cuz I know I could use the help! But yeah, makes me think fad diet when it's on Oprah

-Aimee