Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #1  

Question Finding an Obesity-Sensitive Personal Trainer

Hello, I'm not sure if this has been asked already, so feel free to link me elsewhere.

I'm 300-some pounds, and I've been pretty sedentary. I am interested in doing some sessions with a personal trainer. I've done personal trainers on two different occasions before, and neither experience was a favorable one. Both were with men, and both seemed to not be thrilled to work with an overweight person.

And then I watched the show "Ruby," and noticed that she has these great personal trainers who are motivating and don't judge her for being fat, and they don't have that hopeless look in their eye like the two guys I worked with did.

My questions are:

How do you find an obesity-sensitive personal trainer? The times I've signed up for personal training, I've gone to a gym and they've basically assigned me to someone, I didn't get to "interview" them.

Are some gyms known to have more obesity-friendly policies and employees?

Do all personal trainers work out of a gym, or can you hire someone independently?

I live in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area. Does anybody know of a name or company that they could refer me to?

I would love to hear what makes your personal trainer great, and how you found that trainer.

Thank you, in advance!
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:06 PM   #2  
Meg

Hi Hyacinth! I think your decision to look for a PT is a good one but you are exactly right that he/she needs to be the right kind of trainer!

May I refer you to something I posted a few years back about finding the right trainer? How To Pick A Personal Trainer My best ideas are in that post.

Let me emphasize that YOU are the consumer and YOU get to pick your trainer, not the gym. Gyms and trainers are hurting financially right now -- you're the one with the money and trust me, a good gym will bend over backwards to make you happy and satisfied. Do not accept a trainer who is "assigned" to you! That's baloney. If you're going to work through a gym, call and ask to speak to the head trainer. Make your needs and preferences known. If you prefer a female trainer, say so. Ask for a free session so you can evaluate the trainer who they recommend. And speak up if that person isn't a good fit for you!

Yes, there are independent PTs who are not associated with gyms. Some have studios and some will come to your home. I'm not familiar with your area but I imagine you can find some names through google or referrals from friends. Again, YOU are the boss! Interview them and do not hesitate to walk away if they can't meet your needs.

Good luck, be assertive, and I'm sure you can find someone to help you on your journey.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I just wanted to comment that if I were a PT I'd LOVE to work with someone who was obese!! It's so rewarding as the "teacher" to watch their "student" progress, and who's going to progress more than someone who is obese? The journey of an obese individual is highly emotional and amazing gains are made on a weekly, heck DAILY basis!! Any PT who doesn't want to work out with someone who is obese doesn't know the joy that he/she is missing out on!!

That's my thoughts on the matter.

A dear friend of mine and I are both obese and have found a PT who is the love of our life!! LOL! We compliment the heck out of that man and I think we just may make his day. I know he makes ours!

Last edited by Eliana; 05-11-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #4  
Proud Y Chromosome Member

S/C/G: 285/231/under 150 (normal BMI)

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
May I refer you to something I posted a few years back about finding the right trainer? How To Pick A Personal Trainer My best ideas are in that post.
When I enlisted the aid of a personal trainer, I read Meg's post and it definitely helped me get the right person. (Thank you, Meg!) My trainer was impressed that I actually came prepared with a list of questions and goals. While she didn't have experience with diabetics, she did have experience with obese clients. My personal trainer is affiliated with my local rec center. I wish you luck in finding the right PT for you.
diabetic z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 300/SEE TRACKER/180

Height: 5'4

I have a personal trainer (a guy). Daniel is so supportive of me. He understands me being overweight and really helps me. He encourages me and makes me feel great. The only times I have ever left a session not feeling good about myself is when I knew I did not work as hard as I could have. It was all on me. Not him at all. I know you can find the right trainer and he or she will be a perfect fit to help you get fit. I still have a LONG LONG way to go but I can not wait for the day that I can look back and see how hard Daniel and I have worked.
leonafoxworth is offline   Reply With Quote