Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #1  
I'm doing it!

S/C/G: 186/186/135

Height: 5'6''

Unhappy Running while congested

I woke up with a little sinus pressure, and throughout the day, it has all started to drain. So I have a stuffy nose and a lot of drainage in my throat.

Is it bad to work out (run) when congested like this? Does that prevent the body from healing like it should? Or is it good for me to just push through it and run anyway?
My Body in Motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #2  
here we go again

S/C/G: 168/ticker/140

Height: 5 foot 7

I'm curious about this myself, I've pushed through a cardio workout before when I was horribly congested, and while I did complete the workout, it was not fun at all! I don't know if it was the right move or not. I will say with all my struggling to get air, it did kind of loosen things up temporarily.
carolineintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

If it is just a head cold go for it, take it easy, but some exercise can help. If you have a fever or productive cough take a break.

If the cough turns into one of those lingering post nasal drip lasts forever kind of cough, try a gentle workout after about a week and see if it makes it better or worse.

Intense exercise can cause a relapse.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #4  
I'm doing it!

S/C/G: 186/186/135

Height: 5'6''

I ended up going on a bike ride rather than running. I was fine during the ride, but last night I felt terrible. I don't know if my worsening congestion had anything to do with the bike ride or not. All I know is that I felt like poo all night and I kept accidentally waking DH up with all my nose blowing. Oops!
My Body in Motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/237/170

Height: 5'8"

I am just getting over this, all the sinus drainage gave me a sore throat, but I never had a fever. I only worked out 2 times that week and really watched what I ate, so I still lost. I would say to base it on how you feel...and drink lots of water...it helps keep that stuff loosened up. I also took an over the counter med to help with the pressure and sore throat....those 2 workouts were not fun and I went slower so it took me longer, but in the end, I was happy I did it! Good luck and I hope you start feeling better soon (mine took 1.5 weeks to get over).
abreezies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #6  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

This may just be me, but exercise and congestion brings on Bronchitis each and every time. In fact, I've done High intensity interval training to the point of making myself congested, and I ended up with Bronchitis....TWICE! So now if I feel at all phlegmy after a workout, I take some Sudafed and haven't had a problem since. Obviously I'm a little prone to bronchitis.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote